Gianluigi Buffon (17 Viewers)

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
I dont think Buffon should be offered those wages anymore I mean he is a great GK and in his prime he was the best GK of all time but right now he is kind of slow and goals like the first goal like he conceded against Bayern could easily be avoided with a faster GK (BTW he is slow because he is old! He wasnt that slow in the past!)

As much as I like Buffon I think its time to get a new young and talented keeper who`s wages wouldnt be astronomic
Do you think Buffon could fetch us some money if we were to sell him?
As for young keepers there are Scuffet Perrin and Oblak who seems promising with the later probably the cheapest of those trio

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I dont think Buffon should be offered those wages anymore I mean he is a great GK and in his prime he was the best GK of all time but right now he is kind of slow and goals like the first goal like he conceded against Bayern could easily be avoided with a faster GK (BTW he is slow because he is old! He wasnt that slow in the past!)

As much as I like Buffon I think its time to get a new young and talented keeper who`s wages wouldnt be astronomic
As for young keepers there are Scuffet Perrin and Oblak who seems promising with the later probably the cheapest of those trio

frzl

Apr 15, 2006
wtf...
btw, i think pirlo said something very true about this in his book: players like gigi or pirlo add way more to a team than just their performance on the pitch...

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
IMO there's no doubt that Gigi has not been the same for years now. Sure, he has some good saves. But he also makes way too many mistakes, plenty goals are on him.

But we should not sell him.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Way too many mistakes? This can't be true. Every season he has 1-2 blunders as every goalkeeper is supposed to have, even in his prime. Who remembers Buffon's blunder vs Chievo in his 1st season after a corner kick when he dropped the ball, blunder vs Atalanta in 2004/05 when the ball went straight under his leg, then vs Lecce 2 years ago, etc... It is not all due to his age, but undoubtedly he pulls magnificent saves every year, gives confidence to our defense and he is still among 3-4 best goalkeepers out there. Certainly isn't at fault for plenty of goals. Absolutely invaluable asset to have.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
Way too many mistakes? This can't be true. Every season he has 1-2 blunders as every goalkeeper is supposed to have, even in his prime. Who remembers Buffon's blunder vs Chievo in his 1st season after a corner kick when he dropped the ball, blunder vs Atalanta in 2004/05 when the ball went straight under his leg, then vs Lecce 2 years ago, etc... It is not all due to his age, but undoubtedly he pulls magnificent saves every year and he is still among 3-4 best goalkeepers out there. Certainly isn't at fault for plenty of goals. Absolutely invaluable asset to have.
:agree:

People are used to high standards because of Buffon. Once he retires they'll realize he was one of the best in the game.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
He was talking about blunders I didnt
I was talking about his overall performance
He still is one of the best but I dont think his current ability justifies his wages anymore!
His current ability justifies of around the 3M mark..
In his prime he justifies a sum of around the 10M mark...

AlexOB

Apr 2, 2014

:lol: He's had a terrific season and was one of the best in the world this year, as always. Tremendously continuous, has just made two little mistakes, and saved our ass many times, with our defence being very less than perfect sometimes, both in Italy and in Europe, and also in the WC. If we've had 102 points this year it's also thanks to him. I can see him peforming other 3-4 years at high level, honestly, but we'll see. It's undoubtedly the best goalkeeper in history and one of the best in the world actually.

mabuchaq

Nov 30, 2011
He was talking about blunders I didnt
I was talking about his overall performance
He still is one of the best but I dont think his current ability justifies his wages anymore!
His current ability justifies of around the 3M mark..
In his prime he justifies a sum of around the 10M mark...
That's why you hate Buffon

beowulf

Dec 9, 2012
What a bunch of lunacy in this thread. Buffon is still the best keeper in Serie A without any doubt. Think if we got stuck with one of those idiots like Pepe Reina how many needless points would be lost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)