Gianluigi Buffon (14 Viewers)

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
There was this corner kick for Barcelona at some point and the player Pjanic was marking won the challenge and managed to get a header in. But Pjanic made it just difficult enough for him for it not to be a 100% chance.
Pjanic had some difficult moments yesterday but still managed to make a slight contact, push etc. There was this one situation in 2nd half when Messi dribbled past him and some other players and made a through ball that got blocked by our defender and ball went backwards. Pjanic stopped running after Messi made that pass and now Messi was way ahead of him and it seemed like he wil have a clear shot but Pjanic managed to make it difficult for him with last second sliding tackle.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
But that defending by Alves... barca school defending :D
Meh, it was a slight lapse of concentration, but also a brilliant play by Messi & Iniesta. Those things happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Any video / gifs of his incredible save on that Suarez chance? There was no replay of that..
Didn't even get that that was a save before reading it one here :D

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Meh, it was a slight lapse of concentration, but also a brilliant play by Messi & Iniesta. Those things happen.
Obviously they happen. To guys like Alves they happen a lot. He was caught out of position and lost his man. Not a top notch defending in that instance.

He did really good yesterday but in all his career he was never a great defender to begin with.

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/12/alvaro-morata-real-madrid-bayern-munich

Morata was down, his mood impacting his play. It did not go unnoticed. “I’d just finished training one day. It had been a terrible, terrible session – one of the worst in my life. I couldn’t even control the ball. The physio asked what was wrong and I told him I was sad. I was crying. I was there on the treatment table and Gigi Buffon was next to me. Afterwards he took me aside, alone, and said that if I wanted to cry, do it at home. He said the people who wished me ill would be happy to see that and the people who wished me well would be saddened by it.”

“I was lucky: I met Alice and my life changed. We’re going to get married. Thanks to her – you never know what might have happened had she not come along – and to me too, I got back on track, felt important, scored goals. Now I’m better prepared to play at the highest level. I feel that more with every passing day.”

Buffon always thought he could, claiming Morata had everything to be among the world’s best “if only he could get over his mental hang-ups”. Morata describes the 39-year-old goalkeeper, who recently played his 1,000th game, as like a father, the gratitude palpable, and insists Buffon sought to protect and toughen him.
:touched::strong:

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Win it for Gigi!

http://www.football-italia.net/101319/win-it-gigi

The Champions League with Juventus is the only moment still missing from Gigi Buffon’s career, writes Richard Thomas.

Such has been the relentlessness of the Old Lady's recent domination of calcio that only another genuine challenge in Europe's premier club competition will be enough to completely satisfy expectation. And, if Juve do finally add to European Cups won in 1985 and 1996 to record what Bianconeri fans will regard as an overdue third triumph, few will have deserved it more than Gigi Buffon.

There is precious little the 39-year-old has failed to achieve in a career that, regardless of events
ADVERTISEMENT
in the remainder of it, will see him go down in history as one of the all-time goalkeeping greats. In terms of the sheer volume of trophies he has won, the man nicknamed 'Superman' has a CV comparable to any of football's most prominent superheroes.

A serial Serie A winner, at club level Buffon has also tasted victory three times in the Coppa Italia and once in the UEFA Cup with former team Parma. His role in Italy's 2006 World Cup win means his Azzurri legacy is secure, while he boasts a plethora of individual awards and records for both club and country. With two Final defeats to Milan in 2003 and Barcelona in 2015, the one and only glaring omission from his collection is a Champions League winner’s medal.

Performance-wise Buffon is still, as the old cliché goes, like a fine Italian wine - only improving with age. He once again showed his enduring class and importance in Juve's 3-0 Champions League quarter-final first-leg win over Barcelona last week, demonstrating agility and speed of reaction not seen in many 39-year-olds to make one particularly spectacular save from Andres Iniesta with the score at 1-0. It could turn out to be one of the tie's key moments. The standard of his displays over the years warrants recognition in Cardiff on June 3.

More than simply the amount of silverware he has won or his continued excellence, however, Buffon is loved far more by Juve fans for displaying qualities such as leadership, loyalty and the ability to overcome adversity during his long stay in Turin. Never was this more apparent than in 2006, when the Old Lady’s name was sullied by the Calciopoli scandal. Rather than seek a move to a leading European club, as he undoubtedly could have done, he remained to help Juve back out of Serie B and has become a figurehead of the current era of domination they are enjoying.

The prospect of Buffon leading Juve to Champions League glory is made all the sweeter by the fact he was also present for those trips to Trieste and Treviso a decade ago.

Many players and clubs win the Champions League, but Buffon doing so with Juventus would be the defining moment of an almost career-long journey that has taken in great highs and devastating lows.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
The most important thing is to win it now, we are growing fast and solid, i am hoping for another three finals in a row like the 90s
:tuttosport:

oh yes please....and win them all. If we move our cards right in the coming mercato... i think we can get really strong for next season. We already are... but the next level would be CL stomping level if we do it right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)