Gf Fx5200? (1 Viewer)

venom

Oct 22, 2003
So I might get a new graph.card and nVidia is the one (better support for linux). And the question is which manufacturers provide those FX5200 128MB's without a cooling-fan, silent one needed, performance not that important. And manufacturers avoid at all costs?

Buy on AliExpress.com

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
pathetic card.

Get a Radeon 9600 XT or a FX 5700 Ultra

If those 2 are out of your budget, get a 2nd hand Geforce Ti 4600

If thats not available either, get a 5600 Ultra

Stay away from the 5200 at all costs.

OP
venom

venom

Oct 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    ++ [ originally posted by IceBlu ] ++
    Stay away from the 5200 at all costs.
    Why?

My situation currently is this - my friend wants my current TI4200 to use on some project of his. So I'd have to get a new nVidia then, but if I keep this then I'd get a new cooler for it. And the cash I'd have to use to get FX5200 after selling this is somewhat the same as I'd have to use for a cooler.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    If you want cooling without the noise, invest in heat sinks or water cooling, though the latter option especially will set you back considerably more than a fan. Why wouldn't you want cooling though? You gotta be really careful with that. If you work that card too hard without sufficient cooling, the GPU can die, and you'll be left with a $700 paperweight

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by venom ] ++

Why?

My situation currently is this - my friend wants my current TI4200 to use on some project of his. So I'd have to get a new nVidia then, but if I keep this then I'd get a new cooler for it. And the cash I'd have to use to get FX5200 after selling this is somewhat the same as I'd have to use for a cooler.

then invest in this -

http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/zm80a-hp.htm

Its totally passive ...so 0 noise.

Do NOT trade your Ti4200 for a 5200. Its a worthless card.

OP
    venom

venom

Oct 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    Yep, that seems to be the case anyway, because I don't seem to find extra €70 for FX5200 this week and my friend would pick up this TI4200 on saturday.

That ZM80A-HP is not available anymore, around here at least, but that passive cooling option is it's successor ZM80C-HP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)