General TV (25 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
...and the rest cancelled to produce Game of Plotholes :sad:
GoT came out 6 years later. I doubt that was the reason. GoT gave them probably 10000x more money than Rome, though.

I finished watching Rome last night. (I started watching a week before posting about here, so no, I did not watch it 24/7).

I was expecting it to be great based on things I heard about it and my friend watching season 1 like 5 years ago. But the quality sky rocketed beyond my expectations. I absolutely loved the show, it's a fucking gem and freakin' brilliant. The cast was amazing, the costumes, the atmosphere and everything else. Lucius Vorenus, Mark Antony and Caesar were so fucking perfect it's incredible. It's like they literally came from that period. Acting was superb and roles were simply nailed. I outlined those three but all others were brilliant, like Posca, all of the women, and a brilliant Newsreader that left an impact. Lastly, if somebody even wonders why I haven't mentioned Titus Pullo... It's not that I didn't like him. I think I'll always remember that character. I did like him. But did I think he was the right role? I did not. IMO he's one of the rare characters that stood out from the show. He's the only character that looked like a guy from 2000s being in the show where everyone is from the period of Rome.

Perfect show.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I guess I'm the only one who didn't like The Queen's Gambit. Not that I think it's shit but it's just decent imo.
I agree with you. I had way too many people coming at me with, "Now hear me out ... it's a show about a woman playing chess, but it's so much better than that..." (Always dubious to lead with excuses.) Then they proceed to share listicles of life lessons from watching the show, etc.

It's a good show. Really well acted. Some amusing angles. But it was just that ... a good show. Not a great one.

I was a bit put off by its "idiot savant" premise: that some person could be innately a chess champion without ever having played at all. The idea that the Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't matter and the greatest player in the universe should have been Ricardo Quaresma: who needs to put in the work when you have so much innate talent?

It made up for it more towards the end as she studied, read books, and challenged herself. But I swear you have to get through half the series before she actually loses her first match.

That freakizoid approach also irritated me. Yes, we know we humans want to always feel like we're witnessing history and that we can live forever because there will never be another blah blah blah like we just experienced. But the truth is 99.999% of the time, and 99.999% of the people, vary from really poor to pretty good. But not "greatest of their generation" kinda stuff. It just sets the bar so extreme that we can only find value in stories of people who are born to walk on water and are never mere mortals. Lazy storytelling, if you asked me.

Another irritant was no time spent explaining how a global world chess champion was content hanging out on her own in Lexington, KY.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Its a good show, why does it need to be more. It got me engaged following her interesting and somewhat tragic life. Well written and excellent overall acting, despite the narrow focus.

I think the issue is more people taking hype or such things into equation when watching something, just take it for what it is, a compelling good show.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I agree with you. I had way too many people coming at me with, "Now hear me out ... it's a show about a woman playing chess, but it's so much better than that..." (Always dubious to lead with excuses.) Then they proceed to share listicles of life lessons from watching the show, etc.

It's a good show. Really well acted. Some amusing angles. But it was just that ... a good show. Not a great one.

I was a bit put off by its "idiot savant" premise: that some person could be innately a chess champion without ever having played at all. The idea that the Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't matter and the greatest player in the universe should have been Ricardo Quaresma: who needs to put in the work when you have so much innate talent?

It made up for it more towards the end as she studied, read books, and challenged herself. But I swear you have to get through half the series before she actually loses her first match.

That freakizoid approach also irritated me. Yes, we know we humans want to always feel like we're witnessing history and that we can live forever because there will never be another blah blah blah like we just experienced. But the truth is 99.999% of the time, and 99.999% of the people, vary from really poor to pretty good. But not "greatest of their generation" kinda stuff. It just sets the bar so extreme that we can only find value in stories of people who are born to walk on water and are never mere mortals. Lazy storytelling, if you asked me.

Another irritant was no time spent explaining how a global world chess champion was content hanging out on her own in Lexington, KY.
I don’t see why a global world chess champion wouldn’t be okay living where she did. The house was meaningful to her and she got to travel all the time regardless. As far as being on her own, that’s just how she liked it. Plus she did have some mental issues.

anyways, it was a good show, I enjoyed it

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
Started watching Mad men and the American version of The Office.

Took me a while to get into them but growing to love them especially Mad Men.
I started watching The Office US too.
Season 1 episode 2 "Diversity day", is one of the greatest sitcom episodes I have ever seen.
Only started season 2, but it's a great show so far.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Its a good show, why does it need to be more. It got me engaged following her interesting and somewhat tragic life. Well written and excellent overall acting, despite the narrow focus.

I think the issue is more people taking hype or such things into equation when watching something, just take it for what it is, a compelling good show.
Well, way too many were talking about Tiger King a year ago like it was The Godfather Part II...

I don’t see why a global world chess champion wouldn’t be okay living where she did. The house was meaningful to her and she got to travel all the time regardless. As far as being on her own, that’s just how she liked it. Plus she did have some mental issues.

anyways, it was a good show, I enjoyed it
You're a global chess champion. Your life centers around going to Las Vegas and Paris and Moscow to win competitions.

Your nearest airport, Blue Grass Airport (then called Blue Grass Field), had the most flights in 2020 - over 50% of them - serviced by these three famous airlines, in order of passenger numbers:
  1. Endeavor Air
  2. Allegiant Air
  3. Envoy Air
Saying nothing of the fact that the airport was far more podunk in the 1960s and didn't even allow jets to land until 1968.

I don't think so. Unless your international chess champion lifestyle always takes you to Ft. Meyers, Florida.

The house was meaningful to her? Why? Because she half got adopted there in her teens?

I ain't buying it. Bad writing example for what is otherwise a well-written and enjoyable series.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)