Gattuso a True Sage (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2002
Gattuso Defends Zambrotta And Criticises Italian Football Culture
Juventus - Bologna | Latest News | News Archive

Live Scores

Not holding back...Gattuso (Getty Images)
10/08/2003. Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso has hit out at Italian football, and defended Gianluca Zambrotta who was criticised for allegedly diving to win a penalty against Bologna on Sunday.

"At the end of the game they make you trot out the same old phrases, 'Great match, we played well, it could have gone better', the usual rubbish. So I applaud Zambrotta for having the courage to say the things he did," Gattuso told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Should he have spoken out in the game? Of course, but it's not easy. Your team mates would look on it very badly. They would have signalled for you to shut up."

He continued: "Here in Italy I see lots of balls kicked out of play to help an opponent who's gone down injured.

"I have the impression that lots of coaches are studying this from a tactical point of view: I've seen too many dangerous attacks stopped all of a sudden because an opponent has gone down on the pitch.

"It only happens in Italy. Let's follow the example set abroad, starting in England, where they don't pretend and they don't cheat.

"Over here everyone complains: (Perugia president) Gaucci says he's owed three penalties, strikers claim they're fouled too often.

"If they're right, they should be protected. But if they're wrong and if they cheat, they should be punished."
SA Italy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it me, or does Gattuso constantly make excellent points in his interviews? I think that he should be Davids' replacement, if only that he is so good at dealing with the media. I seriously think that the guy is a genious.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
he needs to be more of a leader to replace davids. he doesnt have the personality and the leadership quality on the pitch. thats all he needs imho although he's not very versatile at all besides that...

OP
Ian
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    ++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++
    he needs to be more of a leader to replace davids. he doesnt have the personality and the leadership quality on the pitch. thats all he needs imho although he's not very versatile at all besides that...
    Maybe, but you can;t say he's wrong. He makes a very good point in this interview and he's always saying something clever. He's a good worker and highly thought of by the other players.

OP
    Ian
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++
    any reason you believe he is particularly looked up to among others in the rossoneri squad?
    I've heard him referred to as " a class act", "a good guy to have around", etc. And all the azzuri player like him too.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++
    "I have the impression that lots of coaches are studying this from a tactical point of view: I've seen too many dangerous attacks stopped all of a sudden because an opponent has gone down on the pitch.
    Finally somebody said that! I can't be more agree is so irritating to see players who pretend to be injured just to make the game stopping and than get up like nothing happened :fero:

OP
    Ian
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #9
    ++ [ originally posted by mate ] ++
    Finally somebody said that! I can't be more agree is so irritating to see players who pretend to be injured just to make the game stopping and than get up like nothing happened :fero:
    YOu see, that's what I'm saying, Gattuso is a really bright guy, we need more players like him.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
    Yes I'm agree, he is a hard worker in the field and say inteligent things the few times he make an interview. Is so boring usually to hear at players interview cause they always say the same things but he came out with interesting points.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
    Infact Gattuso is not one of the players who does an interview a week... he probably do not give more than 2 o 3 an year...

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    I may agree with what he is saying but I don't think that qualifies him to join Juve & I really do dislike his style of play. Fact is he is always responsible for interrupting games with silly fouls - He should study his behaviour first.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    A pretty dire job! Notice I never particularly like Tacchi's or for that matter Davids style of play. But Gattuso takes it to a whole new level. And don't tell me it's impossible to play without resorting to these dirty tricks - Look at Makele he does the same job with such finesse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)