fun google (4 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
In reality many states are larger and have more people than other countries. It's basically the same thing, except all under one larger governing body. I know it's a bit of a stretch, but in reality its the same. Boundaries are boundaries.
You're right, it is a bit of a stretch; I don't really think land mass or population matters when it comes to general knowledge. Not many people outside the US know all the states etc, but you can't really call that ignorance. I think not knowing that Kuwait is a country is much more ignorant. I don't expect you to know which State Melbourne is in, but I'm sure it's bigger and has a hell of a lot more people than a lot of countries that people should know the names of, or at least know that they exist.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
yes. i am lazy
:rolleyes: do it yourself; I don't even know which page you linked to. And if you're gonna paste the link into the forums, you might aswell take that effort to go and edit your sig.

OP
Lawnchair Bes
Jan 7, 2004
  • Thread Starter #64
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

:rolleyes: do it yourself; I don't even know which page you linked to. And if you're gonna paste the link into the forums, you might aswell take that effort to go and edit your sig.

so fifa from the official website. jeez i thought mods served the people

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004

You're right, it is a bit of a stretch; I don't really think land mass or population matters when it comes to general knowledge. Not many people outside the US know all the states etc, but you can't really call that ignorance. I think not knowing that Kuwait is a country is much more ignorant. I don't expect you to know which State Melbourne is in, but I'm sure it's bigger and has a hell of a lot more people than a lot of countries that people should know the names of, or at least know that they exist.
    Well maybe be so. My point is, though, that there are a lot of stupid people in the world, and not all of them are found in the USA.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Well maybe be so. My point is, though, that there are a lot of stupid people in the world, and not all of them are found in the USA.
    Of course there are ignorant people all over the world, but it's all about percentages ;)

Okay I'll back down now; I don't necessarily believe that the percentage of ignorant Americans is higher than the rest of the world, but I can understand why some people would get that impression
    ++ [ originally posted by BayernFussball ] ++
    Gray, What is with the 5-year-old drawn pisture as an avatar?
    It's from a classic childhood game

OP
    Lawnchair Bes
    Jan 7, 2004
  • Thread Starter #71

Okay I'll back down now; I don't necessarily believe that the percentage of ignorant Americans is higher than the rest of the world, but I can understand why some people would get that impression

good stuff gray. thats the most political way to say it

Majed

Jul 17, 2002

I agree....

BTW, About Josh's example, I think that it is very ridiculous that she did not know Kuwait. She doesn't have to know where it is on a map, but at least know that it's a country; a country where US soldiers fought in durring Desert Storm some 14 years ago.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    Majed brought up Desert Storm. Thanks.

Andy: I happen to have higher expectations of the American intellect than I do of others. Would that be wrong, considering they have easier access to knowledge than others?

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004

Of course there are ignorant people all over the world, but it's all about percentages ;)

im an american and i think america is the worlds most ignorant nation by a long way, but mainly some specific states

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Sir Sebastian ] ++

im an american and i think america is the worlds most ignorant nation by a long way, but mainly some specific states
    How many other nations have you lived in to say that?

I don't think so.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004

Care to name which?
    dont want to insult anyone openly

though i kind of already did

i havnt lived in any other countries but ive been to plenty and overall they seem to be more aware of world issues, whereas some people here cant tell the difference between europe and africa on a map

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004
    i dont think im going to say anything on this forum related to politics/country relations/stereotypes about people anymore

i dont think anyone has ever agreed with me. i dont word my opinions very well either

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)