Freddy Adu (1 Viewer)

Dec 27, 2003
Does anyone remember Quarticelli, Alderucci, Sarno??? All of them alleged new Maradonas when they were 12 or 13, but where are they now? Working for 1000 euros a month in some factory while occasionally kicking the ball for the local amateur team on Sundays is my guess..

OP
Pete

Pete

Nov 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    Yeah, he's 14 - looks like 36 and has recently signed a contract with his local team, DC United following interest from European giants Man Utd, Madrid and even scummy Internazionale.
    I've enclosed a site with short clips of him from U-17 International matches for USA despite being born and spending his early youth in Ghana. If you watch, you'll recognise his talent just like you would on a school playground anywhere in the world - you'll also see that he is very inexperienced and clumsy, which if he's going to succeed Pele as the biggest and best icon this sport has ever seen he has a long way to go at correcting.
    Also, I've got a link to a photo shoot he did recently with Nike - who he signed a multi-million dollar deal with at the age of 13. His tricks are hardly impressive and his ball juggling is unbalanced however you can't judge him from that although I couldn't help myself thinking that me and my friends pull off more spectacular moves with our empty cans of Coke. Anyway, enjoy them like I did then envy him...personally, I don't think he has what it takes and I don't want him to succeed...besides, America don't deserve him.

U-17 USA Freddy Adu clips
    Nike - Freddy Adu shoot

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Muscolino9 ] ++
    personally, I don't think he has what it takes and I don't want him to succeed...besides, America don't deserve him.

[]

Hmmm....................I wonder if you would be saying this if he had obtained a British passport, or better yet, if he had signed with Manchester United or Chelsea.

How about giving the kid a chance.

OP
    Pete

Pete

Nov 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #10
    Who said I was British? Just because I live in Manchester, doesn't mean nothing.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    OK, fair enough.

So, let me ask you this.

What is your problem with him??

Am I to assume that you know more about him and his potential than the scouting directors of 3 of the largest teams in europe??

4, actually, you forgot AC Milan, who offered him a contract when he was 11 years old.

So when you say "America doesn't deserve him", is it because he was born in Ghana and obtained his citizenship via a draft card lottery, or is it because you know that he will be a very special player, and you don't feel that Americans will aprreciate it.

If it's the former, then why should you care, because you don't think he's anything special anyway. If it's the latter, then he may not be mainstream in the US, but the football fans here, myself included, will definitely appreciate him.

Besides, when he's had his fill of the MLS, the transfer fees alone will be able to supply the MLS with enough capital to pay everyone else's salaries.

OP
    Pete

Pete

Nov 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #12
    I meant the latter and I apologise for any disrespect that may have been interpreted towards America.
    Do you get what I mean when watching them videos though?
    I mean youth is a colossal factor in my criticisms and even more so than the cliché of an 18 year old player, this guy is 14!
    He is very special, but I feel Americans will abuse his gift which will inevitably lead him to somewhere like Real. Can't honestly say he's going to be the 'next Pele' as this was said about Ronaldo (R9 not R7) before he arrived at Barcelona and although he has become one of the greatest strikers of all time and with still years to play - he's no Pele.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Naw, man. Don't worry about it.

No disrespect at all.

Trust me, if there is anyone here who knows about disrespectful comments to one's country, it's me. (Long, Long Story):D

Anyway, this kid more than held his own at the U-17 WC, playing against kids who were at least 2-3 years older than him. However, all of these comparisons to Pele are a great disservice to Freddy, those are unnecessary expectations to place on a 14 year old.

Yes, he does look a lot older than 14, but you should see these 14 year old kids here in the US, it's mind boggling how developed and big they are.

Just so you know, the football public here in the US has been clamoring for an international superstar of its own, as we've been known really for our Goalkeepers.

I see Adu as being more of a Thierry Henry type of player, because he's going to continue to grow. He could also be a rare breed. A Striker who is bigger than Vieri, a more powerful shot than Ronaldo, and quicker pace than Henry.

That would be a deadly combination if that all comes to fruition.

We'll have to wait and see. I hope all the best for him.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    It's gonna be interesting seeing how he develops. No kid I've seen has been able to handle being hyped up this much (read Owen, Denilson).

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Serge, it's great to have you back man :touched:

From what i've seen of Adu, I think he'll grow up to be a decent player. Though I concede that I've only seen one clip of the guy, his dribbling seems pretty good, and he has an out-of-control style of running like Owen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)