Football's tedious schedule............. (1 Viewer)

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
I brought this up last year at this time, but now seems it is even worse..........

Guys who play in the Euro's and the Copa America get a very short vacation of 1 to 2 weeks before they have to report back to their club team. That after just finishing a whole year of playing.

Other sports get 3-4 months off a year to rest, recuperate, and enjoy life

Not our players.................................

Buy on AliExpress.com

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
It needs a lot of co-operation between the different football federations to achieve what is best for the players..

btw, do players get paid for international games..??

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
how come..? it's a national duty.. let me put it this way.. do they have a contract or something..? or they get paid just out of the courtesy of their football federation..? encouraging awards if I might say..

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by nosubstitute959 ] ++
Yes.
Doesn't that vary a lot, I believe it's up to each football federation to decide how to allocate the money they receive.

And speaking of the hard schedule, I recently thought of this when watching Tour de France. Those riders go through extreme things without much rest, and I defintely think that footballers should manage to play a lot of games sometimes. The problem is, as you say Vinman, that the Euros and the Copas (and Asian cups) eat in the players vacation, and they need to rest sometime. Maybe they could tighten up the schedule for the rest of the season and put tournaments earlier.

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Torkel ] ++

Doesn't that vary a lot, I believe it's up to each football federation to decide how to allocate the money they receive.

And speaking of the hard schedule, I recently thought of this when watching Tour de France. Those riders go through extreme things without much rest, and I defintely think that footballers should manage to play a lot of games sometimes. The problem is, as you say Vinman, that the Euros and the Copas (and Asian cups) eat in the players vacation, and they need to rest sometime. Maybe they could tighten up the schedule for the rest of the season and put tournaments earlier.
but that will create a new problem.. the players will get too exhausted.. injury risks will get higher too..

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Gandalf ] ++
but that will create a new problem.. the players will get too exhausted.. injury risks will get higher too..
The problem is that the top players play too many games. They play in the CL, the domestic cups, and the international games.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
you guys are forgetting bout those who have been relaxing at home while their colleagues play at euro.they are supposed to be the best,that's why they get to go to portugal.they're supposed to be up for the task.anyways,given a choice,i'm sure the players themselves would rather go for the tournament.

but this is just for those who did go,of course.for the rest of the 90% of the players i'm sure they've had lots of rest.

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
well, we did focus on those who went.. becoz, they are supposed to be the top players.. the ones who make the difference.. our major concern.. it's not that we don't care about the rest.. it's just about priority..

OP
Vinman

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #14
    ++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
    i wonder how American Football does it .
    Are you talking about the NFL ???????????????

They only play 4 to 41/2 months out of the year..........

Plenty of time for rest, recuperation, and golf !!!!!!!!!!!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++

Maybe he's saying that he wonders how the NFL stays afloat with so few matches, since Zlatan said that matches=money

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++

where do they get the money since they dont play games

duh

OP
    Vinman

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #17
    Revenue from attendance (80,000 ppl per game), merchandise, and television

The NFL does VERY well, football is probably the top paying sport in the USA

Duh

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Gandalf ] ++
    how come..? it's a national duty.. let me put it this way.. do they have a contract or something..? or they get paid just out of the courtesy of their football federation..? encouraging awards if I might say..
    They get payed by the clubs today. But that is being discussed on every G-11 (or whatever number it is) meeting. They are trying to make the national federations pay the salaries but the problem is that those salaries are made by the clubs and almost no nation have that much money.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    American football can probably get by with it for a few reasons.

One has to do with the country's economics. Take the fascination with the EPL, for example, and then amp it up from the UK to the US's GDP and population, and you get a lot of leverage.

Another angle has to due with some physical limitations. American football is a far heavier contact sport than soccer. Careers are cut shorter, body wear-and-tear is harsher, and there are physical limitations of extending the NFL season past 20 games when you compare it to, say, the 162 game seasons of Major League Baseball. And in soccer at the very worst, once your career is over, your health is typically facing all the excesses of a Maradona. In American football, it's not uncommon to be unable to walk by the time you're 50.

That said, the NFL could raise even more cash on a longer season. But with those physical limitations, it probably creates some scarcity which buffers the economics a bit -- so a shorter season isn't linearly proportional to shorter revenues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)