Football's magic moves Coelho (1 Viewer)

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Paulo Coelho, the acclaimed Brazilian author, has written some of the most successful novels of the last 20 years. Best known for his 1988 novel The Alchemist, he has penned a host of other bestsellers, culminating in his latest work Be Like A Flowing River, a collection of stories, articles and reflections.

FIFAworldcup.com caught up with Coelho at the Turin Book Fair, where he talked to us exclusively about his relationship with football, his passion for the Brazil team and his love of the FIFA World Cup™.

FIFAworldcup.com: So what exactly is Paulo Coelho's relationship with football?
Paulo Coelho:
Brazilians are born with a love for two things, music and football. I should say straight away that, for me, life and football are two very different matters. Generally I'm fairly tolerant, but football and the Brazilian team bring out my prejudiced side. That aside, when I'm asked what I want to do with my free time during a work trip, as a famous writer I can often decline invitations to museums and theatres and ask to be taken to a football match instead. I think that says something.

Your books have been translated into many languages, while footballers communicate through the universal language of movement. You're both global artists in your own ways.
Football is art. It's also much more than that. Every year I'm invited to the World Economic Forum in Davos. This year I took part in a session together with a Harvard professor and a journalist. The topic under discussion was 'Things that move the world' and how that affects the search for happiness. I began by saying 'the most important thing is football' because it's the ultimate art form, uniting people and giving them cause for celebration. It reinforces team spirit without taking away a person's individuality. Society should take the beautiful game as an example: we need to live together as a group, but respect each other's differences. Football is the great metaphor and the World Cup the supreme example of a shared experience allied with individuality.

Do you support any team other than the Seleção?
As a boy I was a Botafogo fan, but then I began to follow Vasco da Gama instead. They've been my team ever since. A person's connection with the team they love is both magical and permanent.

Let's move on to the FIFA World Cup. What is the first memory that springs to mind?
When I was ten years old, one of my biggest dreams came true - Brazil won the 1958 World Cup. There was no TV, so we followed the games on the radio and had to imagine what was happening in Sweden, thousands of kilometres away. There was a carnival atmosphere in Brazil, which for a child was fantastic. When the match began, there was a religious silence. We were losing 1-0 at first, and everyone was down. It seemed as if the world was ending. Then we (turned it round and) won 5-2, a memorable result, which we celebrated with fireworks. At that time the Brazilian team was synonymous with Brazil the country.

You're probably too young to remember one of the greatest upsets in the history of sport, eight years earlier.
I am, but obviously I've heard a lot about it. That match at the 1950 World Cup against Uruguay left Brazil and the Maracana permanently scarred. Even today, one end of the pitch is still known as Ghiggia's end after the Uruguayan (Alcides Ghiggia) who scored the winning goal. That 2-1 defeat left an entire nation mourning the loss of what would have been our first World Cup.

In Mexico in 1970 the game was played at an exquisite level, thanks to Pele and Co.
To be honest, I have conflicting memories of that tournament. Brazil was under the dictatorship of President Medici at the time, and football was being used (by the rulers) to create a sense of patriotism that they were unable to generate in any other way. Of course, there was a great outburst of joy at the victory, but it was overshadowed by a few too many clouds, such as the sacking of coach (Joao) Saldanha shortly before the tournament for political reasons and because he didn't want to select Dario, a player the president wanted to see included.

Do you think the fact that you were no longer a child led you to see things in that way?

Absolutely not. All over the world, whatever their age, people rediscover the child in themselves when watching two teams kick a ball around a pitch. The great thing is to be spontaneous and emotional at least once a week, and throughout the World Cup.

Between 1970 and 1994 there was a long wait for the Brazil's fourth world title.

I have clear memories of 1974 and Johan Cruyff's Dutch side. In Brazil we have a lot of respect for that team and their revolutionary brand of 'total football'. I think we were at our worst in 1986, with the penalty shoot-out defeat against France. We were so sure of ourselves that we erred at the moment of truth. Zico's penalty miss during the game can be excused because of nerves, but Socrates' mistake during the shoot-out was unforgivable. An entire nation was willing him to do his best, but his effort was simply arrogant.

It was a penalty shoot-out that gave Brazil victory in 1994.
The final against Italy was really intense. When we reached the end of extra time I couldn't take it any more so I got up, called my wife and said, 'Let's go to the beach'. Rio will let me know if we've won or lost. By then it was evening in Brazil. I remember the feeling of learning the result from the city as if it were yesterday. With each penalty there was a roar or silence, until the final explosion of joy. It was great to see Dunga holding the World Cup aloft. He deserved it as he had long been underestimated.

Have you ever been to a FIFA World Cup game?
No, but I'm making up for it this year by going to the opening match, and all the Brazil games. I hope we get to the final!

What kind of a player would Paulo Coelho the writer be?
A player combining simplicity and style.

And in which position would he play?
Definitely up front!

Did you play when you were young?
Of course, like all Brazilians, although in my case very badly. I used to wear the number nine and play in attack and we'd line up in the then classic 2-3-5 formation.

It is essential to have a group of players that gels in order to win the FIFA World Cup. Does that not make the coach a kind of alchemist?
That's an excellent metaphor, I hadn't thought of that before!

Who are your favourite footballing alchemists then?
Luiz Felipe Scolari is a great coach and Carlos Alberto Parreira is also not bad. Tele Santana, who has just passed away, knew his stuff too. I should also mention Vicente Feola, the winning coach in 1958 and 1962. He had a great team with the likes of Vava, Pele, Amarildo. Legend has it that 'fatty' Feola used to fall asleep during training, leaving the players to express themselves freely, which left him with a winning team.

An alchemist who found the Philosopher's Stone without ever having heard of alchemy.
Exactly (smiles).

Which of the players that you have met has made the greatest impression on you?
The Alchemist is a lot of players' favourite book and was a bit of a talking point at France 98, so I got to meet quite a few of them. In any case, the one who made the greatest impression on me was Pele. I should say that O Rei isn't a proper idol in Brazil. Six out of ten Brazilians would look at Pele and say: 'He's good, but...' We look at things in a different way in Brazil; we empathise with tragedy. We prefer to venerate Garrincha, who suffered a tormented life. Having said that, I think that Pele was a wonderful artist and is a very special person.

Have you ever written anything on football
Only in 1998, during the World Cup in France, when I wrote a few articles for a French newspaper.

Who would be the main character in a story based on football?
Goalkeepers have made quite a few literary appearances, but I think that the squad as a whole could provide a good subject. Thinking about it, there is one very important individual who holds everyone's attention: the ball.

And how does Paulo Coelho see the referee?
He's a human being, liable to make mistakes, but who only rarely has much of an influence on the game. He represents the classic mythological judge.

Who do you think will win Germany 2006?

I'm happy to leave predictions to the prophets but above all I'd like to thank FIFAworldcup.com for giving me the opportunity to talk about football!

The pleasure is all ours, Senhor Coelho!

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060509/1/6qdo.html

Buy on AliExpress.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)