Football vs Soccer (1 Viewer)

Kiko

Jun 2, 2003
Oh, and the quarterback(guy who trows the ball to people(preferably in his own team)) is forcefuly goodlooking with long hair(kinda like a soccer player :cool:)

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Kiko ] ++
Oh, and the quarterback(guy who trows the ball to people(preferably in his own team)) is forcefuly goodlooking with long hair(kinda like a soccer player :cool:)
That position also came with the chief cheerleader girlfren ...usually an arsehole towards geek girls....

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
Do to inbreding there may be more then one Bubba
Dude, that's unneccesary. Even if you don't like Am. football there's no need to get a bit nasty. :)

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Well, the guy who did that article if of course a blind american football fan.

But i find kind of senseless his point of view, though im not acussing him of being wrong.

In the end... both sports are very ointeresting. At least thats my point of view.
When he says that the american football needs lots of money to be played well... wel in fect thats true because trhey use a lot of medicines, train a lot in the gyms and so on to pump their players to the max, while in european football that is not neccesarily required.

About the money factor... even in european football, you need a lot of money, like any sport, to have a good team. Here in my country are a lot of cheap "american football" teams... so the money is not the case. IN the same way, if u want to play "american football" u just have to buy a ball and some cheap armours and presto.

IN every sport, the more money u have.. the easier is to build ur team and find success.

That is just a matter of tastes. Maybe "european" football dont have those complex american tactics and those uñtra strong defense lines.... but they dont have the ability in the legs to move a ball or kick it rightly. U dont even need great skill to manuver a "american" ball, while in european football u cant play without some skill.

IMO, that is just amatter of tastes.

Kiko

Jun 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by tarmpropp ] ++

Dude, that's unneccesary. Even if you don't like Am. football there's no need to get a bit nasty. :)
oh sorry, dont take that the wrong way. I am in no way actualy comparing it to regular americans here. Just to the obese defensive linesmen...named Bubba

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
U dont even need great skill to manuver a "american" ball, while in european football u cant play without some skill.

IMO, that is just amatter of tastes.
Hydde, with all due respect, have you even tried to throw an American Football?? It takes great skill to do that, and to keep a spiral on the ball so as not to give the impression of a wounded duck.

I played American football for the better part of 4 years in high school, (Strong Safety, Cornerback, and Wide Receiver), and if you think that its just a bunch of Bubbas running around, you couldn't be further from the truth.

Everything is based on timing and execution, and as a Quarterback (The one who throws the football), you have approximately 3 seconds from the time the ball is in your hands to be able to read what kind of defense is being played, where the coverage is rolled to , who is blitzing from what angle and who isn't, whether they are playing a Man- to- man, Zone, or combination of the 2 types of defense, and then have to change the play at the line, if you don't feel that the play that you've selected is going to work.

That doesn't even take into account the routes that the Wide Receivers have to run, whether they need to change their pattern according to the defense, or the Offensive Linemen having to change their blocking assignments, or Running Backs having to find the right hole to run the ball through, or picking up on the blitzing Safety or Linebacker to make sure that the Quarterback is protected so he doesn't get tackled.

And that's only on the OFFENSIVE side of the ball, I won't even get inot defense, where I played.

And those 6 ft. 6 in. 330 pound "Bubbas" or "Inbreds" as people here like to call them, could outrun and outpace every single one of us here, 99 times out of 100. And we won't talk about the Wide Recievers who make Christian Vieri look like a midget, yet are faster than Ronaldo.

I understand a lot of people here don't understand the conept of football, and I would be mnore than happy to shed light on it.

If you want to criticize the Author of that ridiculous artice, as I have, be my guest. Just don't criticize the sport itself, if you don't have an understanding of it.

Thank You.

And God Bless Football.

Both Types.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
oh sorry, dont take that the wrong way. I am in no way actualy comparing it to regular americans here. Just to the obese defensive linesmen...named Bubba
Sure, it's all good. Just making sure. :)

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
++ [ originally posted by USA Juventini ] ++

Hydde, with all due respect, have you even tried to throw an American Football?? It takes great skill to do that, and to keep a spiral on the ball so as not to give the impression of a wounded duck.

I played American football for the better part of 4 years in high school, (Strong Safety, Cornerback, and Wide Receiver), and if you think that its just a bunch of Bubbas running around, you couldn't be further from the truth.

Everything is based on timing and execution, and as a Quarterback (The one who throws the football), you have approximately 3 seconds from the time the ball is in your hands to be able to read what kind of defense is being played, where the coverage is rolled to , who is blitzing from what angle and who isn't, whether they are playing a Man- to- man, Zone, or combination of the 2 types of defense, and then have to change the play at the line, if you don't feel that the play that you've selected is going to work.

That doesn't even take into account the routes that the Wide Receivers have to run, whether they need to change their pattern according to the defense, or the Offensive Linemen having to change their blocking assignments, or Running Backs having to find the right hole to run the ball through, or picking up on the blitzing Safety or Linebacker to make sure that the Quarterback is protected so he doesn't get tackled.

And that's only on the OFFENSIVE side of the ball, I won't even get inot defense, where I played.

And those 6 ft. 6 in. 330 pound "Bubbas" or "Inbreds" as people here like to call them, could outrun and outpace every single one of us here, 99 times out of 100. And we won't talk about the Wide Recievers who make Christian Vieri look like a midget, yet are faster than Ronaldo.

I understand a lot of people here don't understand the conept of football, and I would be mnore than happy to shed light on it.

If you want to criticize the Author of that ridiculous artice, as I have, be my guest. Just don't criticize the sport itself, if you don't have an understanding of it.

Thank You.

And God Bless Football.

Both Types.

ok ok ... maybe i used a wrong expression here.... what i wanted to say is that in fact.. is more complex go control a "football" ball because is with the food.

In americamn football.. u just have to know how to grab the ball rightfully... and for the QB... they are the ones who most need sjills at throwing balls.

I even think that u need more ball control in basketball that thje one u need to play American football.

Buyt like i said before... what the "european football" players have in skill and flair... the "americans" have in force and speed!, which is very interesting too.

What i wanted to mean.. is that u cant compare both sports saying "which is better" because in those 2, like in every discipline... u need to develop certain parts of ur body and certain skills.

Because of that i dont like to compare both, as each one have their own attarctions and skills.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I understand where you are coming from, Hydde.

They are both great sports in their own very different way.

I think the reason that this guy said what he did is that he has the feeling, like most Americans, is that Soccer is trying to be forced upon us, year after year. And to a degree, he is absolutely right. Every four years, be it the olympics or World Cup, you have all of these major sponsors and TV companies trying to force it down our throats.

Problem is, if Americans don't like it now, they are not going to like it 20 years from now, or if the US ever wins a World Cup.

To that I say, that is their problem, not mine. I'm an American who loves Soccer. I grew up with it, it runs through the blood of every generation of my family. It's not like that with most American families here. they grew up on Baseball and American Football.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
Problem is, if Americans don't like it now, they are not going to like it 20 years from now, or if the US ever wins a World Cup.
Hmm... I don't agree, I think it will grow more and more popular. I see the enormous "soccer" potential in the U.S., and in some ways that scares me.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Here's the scary part of it, Torkel.

Soccer, on a Club and International level, is growing rapidly, as far as stature.

this, despite the fact that US Soccer is probably only receiving the 4th or 5th level of atheletes comapred to the 4 major sports in the US.

The truly scary part of it will be if the US does win a World Cup, and they don't even have to use their best atheletes to do it.

Could you imagine Allen Iverson on a soccer pitch, with his moves and his speed, what he could do??

Or a Kobe Bryant, if he were to play keeper. Who who would get a shot past him??

i know, different sport. But what if they were trained for it, just like all of the other top athletes from countries around the world were trained for it.
Tork, if Pele, in the mid 70's couldn't generate interest in Soccer here in the US, then I find it very difficult for it to catch on nationwide.

i'd love to see it happen, but I doubt it.

Kiko

Jun 2, 2003

i know, different sport. But what if they were trained for it, just like all of the other top athletes from countries around the world were trained for it.
Tork, if Pele, in the mid 70's couldn't generate interest in Soccer here in the US, then I find it very difficult for it to catch on nationwide.

i'd love to see it happen, but I doubt it.
Wow that would be very interesting actually. A bunch of players all from deferent roots. Hispanic strikers, Italian defensemen, Irish/Polish/Arab somethings, it would be awesome

OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #38
    about american football- i just see it as an evoltion of rugby.

yanks have this weird obsession with customizing established conditions/ideas/concepts, etc.

thats where baseball and football came from. thats why the language is so much different. thats why a send off is called an "ejection", and football is called "soccer"

the "customising" they tend to do however pertains to only certain aspects of culture. in many cases it is american culture that establishes something-

i am, to an extent against the constant "evolution" that our culture tends to perform on what often are internationally accepted concepts as it tends to isolate the us from the rest of the world.

But then again, the US is a lot more open-minded right now than it used to be, and this trend seems to slowly, yet steadily inch toward extinction, as we are slowly becoming more aware of the world outside our own borders.

Hopefully one day american football can be played all over the world, and in turn Americans will be more accepting of the concept of "clean-sheets" rather than "shutouts"- making life a little easier for me, and give me fewer chances to make fun of American commentators(hehe)

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    But Sergio, isn't more and more young kids playing soccer? I mean, A LOT more kids? I belive I read that soccer is catching up, and has passed a few of the major sports (at least baseball) in terms of kids playing the sport.

I remember playing in tournament in Denmark once (the Dana cup, one of the worlds biggest youth tournaments) and the teams from the U.S. were dominating many of the younger age levels completely, in a truly overwhelming fashion.

I believe that the generation of young Americans growing up now will install a new view on soccer in the U.S., different from the view many Americans has on soccer today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)