FIFA Women's World Cup 2019 (1 Viewer)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
People watch this shit? :p

I'd rather watch the WNBA than this.
I wouldn't go that far.

Anyway, football should be an inclusive game, and there's no reason why women can't aspire to be professional footballers and improve the standing of their game. Football is not a sport where physical prowess is all important.

OP

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
  • Thread Starter #16
    Already 1:0 :sad:

- - - Updated - - -

South korea captain :green:

@Wittl

- - - Updated - - -

2:0 Nice goal :tup:

LOL nevermind, offside.

- - - Updated - - -

Renard with a double. 1.87m too tall for southkorea.

Last edited:

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I wouldn't go that far.

Anyway, football should be an inclusive game, and there's no reason why women can't aspire to be professional footballers and improve the standing of their game. Football is not a sport where physical prowess is all important.
    I’ve enjoyed the WWC for decades. It’s a good sport, not unlike how women’s lacrosse can be a good sport on its own merits.

And yes, women should be able to make a profession out of it. I disagree with the bizarro equal pay arguments though. Sports is entertainment, and entertainment is a power law profession - not an hourly wage. Which means the money you make is proportional to how much advertising and sponsorship you can draw to the sport. This is why the top men’s badminton players get nowhere near what the top football players earn.

Katy Perry earns 10x what Lionel Richie makes for both hosting American Idol, and it’s not because of sexism or racism. Yes, there are arguments that women are getting proportionately shafted. But that’s a different argument. Pay cannot be equal until the advertising and sponsorship revenues can be equal. Regardless of gender or sport.

But watching Germany-China, I don’t know if it’s my sexism or racism. But watching particularly the Chinese women play, there’s an element of anxiety and panic that happens on scrambles in the box that I just don’t see in the men’s game. It’s kind of comedic. It also might be because the player’s relatives will starve or be sent to the salt mines if they lose....

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    I’ve enjoyed the WWC for decades. It’s a good sport, not unlike how women’s lacrosse can be a good sport on its own merits.

And yes, women should be able to make a profession out of it. I disagree with the bizarro equal pay arguments though. Sports is entertainment, and entertainment is a power law profession - not an hourly wage. Which means the money you make is proportional to how much advertising and sponsorship you can draw to the sport. This is why the top men’s badminton players get nowhere near what the top football players earn.

Katy Perry earns 10x what Lionel Richie makes for both hosting American Idol, and it’s not because of sexism or racism. Yes, there are arguments that women are getting proportionately shafted. But that’s a different argument. Pay cannot be equal until the advertising and sponsorship revenues can be equal. Regardless of gender or sport.

But watching Germany-China, I don’t know if it’s my sexism or racism. But watching particularly the Chinese women play, there’s an element of anxiety and panic that happens on scrambles in the box that I just don’t see in the men’s game. It’s kind of comedic. It also might be because the player’s relatives will starve or be sent to the salt mines if they lose....
    Totally agree, and said it elsewhere. Hope Solo said something this week about the pay gap and inequality......sorry but men's football is a multi-billion dollar industry. Women's football doesn't touch it, you can't pay what you don't have.

She also said something about the US coach and how she used to not look at defensive mistakes because she didn't want to knock the confidence of individual players, and Solo thought at the time it was wrong as players would never improve. I agree with that, but also women are women, men grow up in a macho culture to take it on the chin (even if inwardly they are hurt), some women would take it well and others not, they are not all like Solo.

In terms of the level of the game, I've seen a big leap in parity and quality across the international game, but there is also an obvious weakness in the defensive areas of the game - dealing with balls into the box, and especially goalkeepers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)