"Fifa agrees goal-line technology" (2 Viewers)

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Here's an article from BBC.com

Fifa is expected to use a football containing a microchip as part of new goal-line technology in September's Under-17 World championships in Peru.

The game's governing body has agreed to the experiment in a bid to end controversies over goal-line decisions.

It follows a presentation by sports manufacturer Adidas to the International FA board in Cardiff.

The company tested the device in a game between Nuremberg and their reserve team ahead of the board's meeting.

A football has a microchip inside, so when it crosses the goal-line the referee is alerted directly by a bleeper-type system rather than any video replays being used.

The fact that there is no delay to the game has impressed the Ifab, which is made up of four Fifa representatives plus a member of each of the four home associations.

The English Football Association had offered to experiment with the ball as well but both the Premier League and Football League use balls made by rival manufacturers.

Adidas is developing the new ball with two other German-based companies Cairos Technologies and hi-tech communications firm Fraunhofer, but believe that such rigorous experimentation is needed that it is unlikely to be ready for next year's World Cup final in Germany.

Calls for new technology resurfaced after Spurs were denied a clear goal at Manchester United when goalkeeper Roy Carroll dropped the ball behind the line, but the incident was missed by the officials.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
GOOD, FINALLY SOMETHING HAPPENING! man, im so angry at the linesmen nowadays. I'm thinking about that World Cup that England won 50 years ago or whatever it was. And about Casillas blunder last week and Man Utds. keepers blunder :)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'm honestly not all that thrilled, to be honest.

The people who seem to object most about these ref blunders are the people who aren't even near, let alone at, the matches in question. I just don't want to see this sport catered more and more to people who are hundreds if not thousands of miles away from the game. Those of us watching on TV and all are spectators, not judges. As spectators, our job is to watch the games unfold and shut the hell up about how things are dictated on the field.

Of course, the reality is that all sports are in competition with other forms of entertainment. As such, it needs to bend to the whims of a fickle audience that draws money into the sport ... even if the involvement level of its TV viewers could just as well be from the planet Mars.

But a technology that doesn't disrupt the game and doesn't involve two-dimensional images monitored remotely from the field? I can't complain too much about that approach.

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
the real challenge is to find a mechanism to detect those damn offsides...and of course without disrupting the game...that is THE CHALLENGE!

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
Yeah, I've heard about Adidas working on this new technology.

Very contriversial.

I am up for it though - the more power taken away from referees and given to technology- the better.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Something like this is used in Tennis. it helped these controversial line balls a lot. It is good that it is being used in football in a way or another but my objection is since they are introducing technology to decisions, why only this? Why not for the offside situations? and many other controversial issues that happen on the pitch.

Either be like basketball or stay traditional, not somewhere in between and for some things only.

Amer

Feb 13, 2005
did anyone see the bilbao goal against madrid ... the ball also clearly crossed the line and it wasnt counted
Hell yeah! Beautiful goal!
One of the best I have ever seen
Too bad it was disaloved:(:(:(
The ball was clearly half a metar of the line
Those kind of blunders shouldnt be happening so this is good idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)