Fernando Llorente (14 Viewers)

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Why are we assuming that he only wanted Sevilla? Is this another fact I'm missing out on?
I didn't say he only wants to go to Sevilla. I said we know he wants to go to them. It is possible though that Sevilla was the only team willing to take his wages.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
As I said, somehow we seem to end up in such situations much more than other clubs for some reason. One has to start thinking that maybe, just maybe, it's got to do with our negotiating skills.
Yeah maybe, although it's not like the Moggi days where we can force the hand of teams. As I already said we can only sell for what a team wants to pay. Then it comes to the player, we can do things like threaten him with isolated training for two years, but are we really going to do that?

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong, but United did sell Ronaldo to Madrid? Also, you're currently not distinguishing the argument between whether we should sell him and if we would sell him at such a price. Should we sell him? No, you don't sell a player with Balon D'or potential. Would we sell him at 150m? Yes.
no we wouldnt. if you read Marottas comments you would know this.

and Ronaldo was forcing a move to Madrid. there is no way they would sell otherwise

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
It's the best move for both parties. We don't have to splash out €9 million on wages a year for him and Sevilla get a decent striker for free with a high wage.

Not many teams could afford his wages and a transfer fee on top of that. We were desperate to offload him and it showed when we allowed him to leave for free.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
So tell me, I know that releasing Llorente is great but there is just one thing I want to understand thoroughly. If releasing him made us benefit that much from his wages, why don't we count his wages the past two season as a loss? I know I am missing something here but soon someone will overwhelm me as to that genius move from Marotta.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
So tell me, I know that releasing Llorente is great but there is just one thing I want to understand thoroughly. If releasing him made us benefit that much from his wages, why don't we count his wages the past two season as a loss? I know I am missing something here but soon someone will overwhelm me as to that genius move from Marotta.
What he gave us in the 13/14 season was worth the 9M wages after taxes we gave him.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
The thing is no one is calling Marotta a genius for the Llorente "saga". He's neither a genius or a loser. He signed a player for free to do a job for 4.5M. He did that job and earned his wages at least in the first year. The second year he started to decline. He's not worth those wages anymore so we are not paying him those wages anymore. In the meantime, we won 2 titles and he actually really helped in at least 1 of those titles.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
no we wouldnt. if you read Marottas comments you would know this.

and Ronaldo was forcing a move to Madrid. there is no way they would sell otherwise
You're setting yourself up for a massive disappointment for when we sell Pogba, which will likely happen within 2 years, in a best case scenario, and one, in a worst case scenario. And once again, you're underestimating the leverage clubs have over players with whom they have contractual obligations with. Ronaldo wanted to move to Madrid a year earlier than when he eventually did, if you remember, but the club held on and sold him a year later when they bought time to prepare for it. In the same manner, a club would always treat a player like a commodity if they got the price they deem fit irrespective of his will. Even with Vidal, Marotta himself said that the player was happy to remain. Surely, the club had a say in this deal. Just like they would in any other deal.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
You're setting yourself up for a massive disappointment for when we sell Pogba, which will likely happen within 2 years, in a best case scenario, and one, in a worst case scenario. And once again, you're underestimating the leverage clubs have over players with whom they have contractual obligations with. Ronaldo wanted to move to Madrid a year earlier than when he eventually did, if you remember, but the club held on and sold him a year later when they bought time to prepare for it. In the same manner, a club would always treat a player like a commodity if they got the price they deem fit irrespective of his will. Even with Vidal, Marotta himself said that the player was happy to remain. Surely, the club had a say in this deal. Just like they would in any other deal.
the only way Pogba is leaving is, same as Vidal (and Ronaldo), if he requests to leave. we will never sell him on our own.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
The thing is no one is calling Marotta a genius for the Llorente "saga". He's neither a genius or a loser. He signed a player for free to do a job for 4.5M. He did that job and earned his wages at least in the first year. The second year he started to decline. He's not worth those wages anymore so we are not paying him those wages anymore. In the meantime, we won 2 titles and he actually really helped in at least 1 of those titles.
Only difference being if he wasn't free he had a value. Regardless of him coming to us for free meant he had a value. For example let's say someone wanted him last season what was his value? How much as a fan would you value him? Take the wages out of the picture.

Another thing.. ok wages so 4.5 mil. We were always going to have a striker in that position for sake being he will have 2 mil. Which means we are over paying 2.5 as someone has to take his place.

Now going back I understand reasons but then it all comes down to what was the whole zaza saga about?

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Good luck to this guy, I hope he finds his form in Sevilla and gets a spot in the Spanish national team.

Nothing but good wishes for Llorente's future, and thinking that it's a shame it didn't work out better for him at Juventus.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
the only way Pogba is leaving is, same as Vidal (and Ronaldo), if he requests to leave. we will never sell him on our own.
Assuming we got an offer in excess of 120m, I'd believe that we would most likely agree to sell him irrespective of his will. Would I agree with it? Absolutely not. But the club is run like a business, and profit is a huge consideration in this scenario, as is the ability to be a self sustaining entity, and the club would think along the lines. Similar to Bayern, who aren't exactly hot on Goetze, but would not want to undersell him at the same time. If a suitable offer arrives he would be sold, again, irrespective of his will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)