Fernando Llorente (31 Viewers)

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
nice little compilation. there are a few more difficult shots but my favorite is the one against livorno, i replayed that little 'double step' before he took the shot many times. tiny little detail, still loved it

Crazy to think that in those days guys like Llorente and Caceres weren't good enough to be undisputed starters

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Fortunately he wasn't a starter, imo even with this current Juve, technically he was really a very average player.
He did begin the season as a starter, though. As I recall he was pushed out because of Morata's remarkable performances in Europe especially.

I remember we all really liked Llorente but Morata was unbenchable in that form.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Fortunately he wasn't a starter, imo even with this current Juve, technically he was really a very average player.
Is he better than Zaza tho? We gave Llorente away for free and signed Simone for 18M. Llorente was still relevant up to 2019 probably, had a role to play for CL teams. As a bench option, you can do worse

- - - Updated - - -

He did begin the season as a starter, though. As I recall he was pushed out because of Morata's remarkable performances in Europe especially.

I remember we all really liked Llorente but Morata was unbenchable in that form.
Llorente had a very good 2013-14 season. 2014-15 was lesser (scored some important goals regardless), and he was noticeably in decline. But sometimes with these forwards, it's about the right team and fit. Dzeko scored like 8 goals his last season in City, and his first at Roma was average too. Later he became the best CF in the league. Giroud too looked finished but found a role on a Serie A winning Milan. Nando played well for Tottenham in their CL final run which was 3 years after we let him go for free. Mismanagement of assets

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Is he better than Zaza tho? We gave Llorente away for free and signed Simone for 18M. Llorente was still relevant up to 2019 probably, had a role to play for CL teams. As a bench option, you can do worse

- - - Updated - - -

Llorente had a very good 2013-14 season. 2014-15 was lesser (scored some important goals regardless), and he was noticeably in decline. But sometimes with these forwards, it's about the right team and fit. Dzeko scored like 8 goals his last season in City, and his first at Roma was average too. Later he became the best CF in the league. Giroud too looked finished but found a role on a Serie A winning Milan. Nando played well for Tottenham in their CL final run which was 3 years after we let him go for free. Mismanagement of assets
Not necessarily 'mismanagement' in the sense of somebody being at fault. Just pieces not fitting into a particular puzzle that a club has at a given time. Our team developed in a way that didn't suit Fernando all that well. A real shame, don't forget the guy publicly announced he was coming here on a free transfer and got ostracised from his team and basically his community for it.

Mismanagement for me is more like when players get bought who don't fit the direction the coach wants to go in (which would be a failure of upper management, the SD buying players without consulting the coach), or when big players go to new teams and fail to click (Shevchenko to Chelsea for example, how can you ruin a CF like that?), or when players fit the coach's system exactly on paper and fail to do well at their new team. That goes down to bad management by the coach.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Not necessarily 'mismanagement' in the sense of somebody being at fault. Just pieces not fitting into a particular puzzle that a club has at a given time. Our team developed in a way that didn't suit Fernando all that well. A real shame, don't forget the guy publicly announced he was coming here on a free transfer and got ostracised from his team and basically his community for it.

Mismanagement for me is more like when players get bought who don't fit the direction the coach wants to go in (which would be a failure of upper management, the SD buying players without consulting the coach), or when big players go to new teams and fail to click (Shevchenko to Chelsea for example, how can you ruin a CF like that?), or when players fit the coach's system exactly on paper and fail to do well at their new team. That goes down to bad management by the coach.
I think our team changed too much each year for that to be a factor. Our forward line alone went from Tevez, Nando, Morata, Coman, Giovinco/Matri to Dybala, Mandzukic, Morata, Zaza, Cuads to Higuain, Dybala, Mandzukic, Cuadrado to then adding wingers like D. Costa and Berna to then Ronaldo. The rest of the team changed each year as well. And Llorente is the type of CF that fits with a lot of styles, unless you wanna press all the time and play run and gun I guess. I think he had a spot on the team each year, and if we wanted to shop him, he had a market better than 0€. But sometimes patience is better, I say this with hindsight ofcourse

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 31)