Felipe Melo (7 Viewers)

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Take into accound all the players we are trying to off-load too. Buying Aguero would be a massive lift to this team and yes, it is needed.
What exactly are we gonna get for the lot? It's not like they've been setting Serie A alight, infact their value has decreased over the last two seasons. Chump change is what we should expect, why else would we just give up on Tiago?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
I'm not saying Marchisio should be a starter by any means next year. He is an excellent squad player for sure. But when it comes to what Conte wants with his formation then Pirlo-Vidal makes more sense than Melo-Pirlo.
We'll see about that. I hope Vidal is a good aggressive tackler like Melo was last season because that's exactly what we'll need. I think Melo - Pirlo would have been more balanced but I don't know Vidal well. Even if Vidal isn't a great destroyer, that's not Conte's style. Conte by the looks of it believes the best defense is a good offense so I'm not surprised that we are going to be playing a Vidal-Pirlo mid.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
1.) Why wouldn't there be a chance? I've stated my reasons why I think Conte hasn't tried selling him yet. Tactically, with Pirlo it doesn't make that much sense to keep Melo for a 442.

2.) Depends. It depends on the player you are signing and how good he is.
No, I'm sure as hell that there's no chance Marotta would sell Marchisio this Summer. Tactically, a midfield pair of Melo - Pirlo is better than Marchisio - Pirlo. Your argument is invalid.

Your answer would be valid if we're getting Essien or Lass to replace Melo. We're getting Vidal.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
His job was never specified and announced. When we bought him we knew he could destroy well, hold well and pass okay. That is pretty much what he did last season. How many goals we conceded with him on the pitch is irrelevant. Needless to say Marchisio and Aquilani were far less complementing of the entire team than Melo was. Melo played his role but the rest of the midfield didn't. Aquilani was constantly bullied off the ball, he was static and his passing was terrible. Marchisio simply had no footballing imagination. He didn't tackle, pass, dribble or hold the ball especially well and when he received the ball he would simply pass it off sideways or backward to another player majority of the time. Good players take the game on and show initiative. That's why Melo was praised for last seasons performance and Marchisio was criticized. One player showed initiative and the other didn't.
How can you say that marchisio didn't pass well? He had the highest % completion in the team tied with Melo at 85%. If anything, that was his strongest attribute this season was his ability to complete a pass and not lose it or result in the team losing possession.

When we brought Melo we had a completely different formation in mind with Diego taking the main attacking role for the team. Then, that failed and Tiago was no where to be found to be the "passer" we brought over Aquilani to fill the passing void which he failed at too. Melo was brought to destroy, nothing more. What about Melo does not indicate what his job would be whether specified or announced? His role is a DM, he isn't mean to push forward in attack, he isn't mean to be a deep lying playmaker, he isn't mean to unlock defenses with his passing, no his only purpose is to protect the defense and breakup play...and aside from the obvious (which he usually does well) is complete the passing when he doesn't try and over complicate it.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
No, I'm sure as hell that there's no chance Marotta would sell Marchisio this Summer. Tactically, a midfield pair of Melo - Pirlo is better than Marchisio - Pirlo. Your argument is invalid.

Your answer would be valid if we're getting Essien or Lass to replace Melo. We're getting Vidal.
If you kept Pirlo-Melo together there would be a massive gap between the CM's an our strikers. Which one of the two of Melo-Pirlo is going to surge forwrard (effectively) to support the offense? You sure as hell can count Pirlo out and Melo running forward like a chicken with his head cut off will do absolutely nothing for our offense. So...basically, with a Pirlo-Melo pairing you can go ahead and shut our flanks down and you have us contained...again. We would be way to predictable.

Having Vidal scoring 13 goals next season, with 12 assists, lead the team in passing completion along with avg tackles won , etc etc will make Melo a distant memory.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
We'll see about that. I hope Vidal is a good aggressive tackler like Melo was last season because that's exactly what we'll need. I think Melo - Pirlo would have been more balanced but I don't know Vidal well. Even if Vidal isn't a great destroyer, that's not Conte's style. Conte by the looks of it believes the best defense is a good offense so I'm not surprised that we are going to be playing a Vidal-Pirlo mid.
I don't know Vidal well either, but a CM that leads his team in tackles, 13 goals, 12 assists and passing %'s as well can't be all that bad. When was the last time we ever had a midfielder ever put up those kinds of numbers?

I can't quite remember Vidals stats last year.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
How can you say that marchisio didn't pass well? He had the highest % completion in the team tied with Melo at 85%. If anything, that was his strongest attribute this season was his ability to complete a pass and not lose it or result in the team losing possession.

When we brought Melo we had a completely different formation in mind with Diego taking the main attacking role for the team. Then, that failed and Tiago was no where to be found to be the "passer" we brought over Aquilani to fill the passing void which he failed at too. Melo was brought to destroy, nothing more. What about Melo does not indicate what his job would be whether specified or announced? His role is a DM, he isn't mean to push forward in attack, he isn't mean to be a deep lying playmaker, he isn't mean to unlock defenses with his passing, no his only purpose is to protect the defense and breakup play...and aside from the obvious (which he usually does well) is complete the passing when he doesn't try and over complicate it.
Of course he had a successful passing rate. He passed backward and sideways. He only ever made safe passes. Obviously numbers are irrelevant because anyone can be a successful passer if they don't take the necessary risks needed to take the ball forward and leave it to players like Melo.
Just because Melo is known as a strong aggressive midfielder doesn't mean that we didn't buy him because he is good at those other things as well. When we bought him from Fiorentina he was known as a decent passer as well. Why do you think we were so dissatisfied with Sissoko? He can still tackle very well but he is useless with the ball at his feet so we bought Melo who was more well rounded. He pushed forward well. Many good DM's do this including Diarra.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
If you kept Pirlo-Melo together there would be a massive gap between the CM's an our strikers. Which one of the two of Melo-Pirlo is going to surge forwrard (effectively) to support the offense? You sure as hell can count Pirlo out and Melo running forward like a chicken with his head cut off will do absolutely nothing for our offense. So...basically, with a Pirlo-Melo pairing you can go ahead and shut our flanks down and you have us contained...again. We would be way to predictable.

Having Vidal scoring 13 goals next season, with 12 assists, lead the team in passing completion along with avg tackles won , etc etc will make Melo a distant memory.
Yeah, because if we'll have Marchisio instead of Melo next to Pirlo, he'd open the opponents' defense like a 21 year old Russian girl opens her legs.

You believe what you want, Hust. I'm not interested in having this conversation anymore.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Yeah, because if we'll have Marchisio instead of Melo next to Pirlo, he'd open the opponents' defense like a 21 year old Russian girl opens her legs.

You believe what you want, Hust. I'm not interested in having this conversation anymore.
All jokes aside, do they really?

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Of course he had a successful passing rate. He passed backward and sideways. He only ever made safe passes. Obviously numbers are irrelevant because anyone can be a successful passer if they don't take the necessary risks needed to take the ball forward and leave it to players like Melo.
Just because Melo is known as a strong aggressive midfielder doesn't mean that we didn't buy him because he is good at those other things as well. When we bought him from Fiorentina he was known as a decent passer as well. Why do you think we were so dissatisfied with Sissoko? He can still tackle very well but he is useless with the ball at his feet so we bought Melo who was more well rounded. He pushed forward well. Many good DM's do this including Diarra.
A lot of this is true, for sure. I do not agree however, that Melo can push forward well. Aside from passion and running a lot...that's all he really does when going forward. There is no accurate shot, deadly passing, he isn't good from headers or positioning in the box. He adds much more to the backline and structure/stability of the team as a DM then he ever would in the attacking third of the field.

In regards to Marchisio's passing limitations...don't you think a lot of that has to do with the movement of players around him? He had Grosso/Traore/Grygera behind him on the left...so that leaves him very little option for support pushing forward, not to mention when the horrible movements when IQ/Amauri played. I think when Quag was playing our attack was more deadly and fluid, likewise when Matri came after Quags injury. So, going forward a lot of the time he was very limited in who to pass too: Melo wasn't rushing forward, we know how bad Aqui as last year and Marchisio has never really been one to take players on...he just isn't quick enough I'd say.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005

LOL, I never said anything about Marchisio opening up defenses.

What are you insinuating I am believing, exactly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)