Felipe Melo (15 Viewers)

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
But that's not how it works, is it?

If we keep on replacing our best players in the squad with other quality players, better or not, you're still going to remain with the crap players you have. If you can't understand that, then it's your problem Cam.
Read his posts properly will you.:sergio:

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
But that's not how it works, is it?

If we keep on replacing our best players in the squad with other quality players, better or not, you're still going to remain with the crap players you have. If you can't understand that, then it's your problem Cam.
Wait, what? What is the point of the bloody transfer market then, Klin? Isn't the whole purpose to buy new players to make an improvement over the ones we have? Isn't that what we have done so far with Lichtensteiner, Ziegler, Pirlo and Vidal? 4 massive improvements over the crap players we have?

What about my post leads you to believe that I don't understand that? And what about the mercato not ending until August 31st are you not quite getting?

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
IMO...Conte wants to keep Marchisio for his versatility. Melo is only a DM and will only ever be a DM. Marchisio, if needed, can play all across the midfield line. That's pretty much the only reason why I think he will stay. A big hint is Vidal as well...he is so versatile as well.
Meaning he really doesn't excel in any one position, kind of like Pepe. Those types of players are handy squad players. IMO considering we are playing a 4-2-4 not a 4-3-3 and that Conte's football is very attacking and possession based he wanted a more well rounded midfielder next to Pirlo and has Marchisio as Vidal's backup. If we were going to play a 4-3-3 then it would have been logical to keep Melo and buy Vidal playing Pirlo, Vidal and Melo would be a very strong and well balanced midfield indeed.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Meaning he really doesn't excel in any one position, kind of like Pepe. Those types of players are handy squad players. IMO considering we are playing a 4-2-4 not a 4-3-3 and that Conte's football is very attacking and possession based he wanted a more well rounded midfielder next to Pirlo and has Marchisio as Vidal's backup. If we were going to play a 4-3-3 then it would have been logical to keep Melo and buy Vidal playing Pirlo, Vidal and Melo would be a very strong and well balanced midfield indeed.
I'm not saying Marchisio should be a starter by any means next year. He is an excellent squad player for sure. But when it comes to what Conte wants with his formation then Pirlo-Vidal makes more sense than Melo-Pirlo.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Exactly, but why refuse an Italian on a bosman deal eh?
It's because we probably don't have too much money as the media makes us think. That's why we'll even make a profit from the midfield changes (Melo finances Vidal, Pazienza is free, Sissoko money are the profit). If we kept Melo then we would have to add money in addition to the Sissoko money in order to buy Vidal.

Either that or we're up to some pleasant surprises by the end of the transfer mercato.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Wait, what? What is the point of the bloody transfer market then, Klin? Isn't the whole purpose to buy new players to make an improvement over the ones we have? Isn't that what we have done so far with Lichtensteiner, Ziegler, Pirlo and Vidal? 4 massive improvements over the crap players we have?

What about my post leads you to believe that I don't understand that? And what about the mercato not ending until August 31st are you not quite getting?
Do you actually believe there's a chance of replacing Marchisio later this Summer after we'll get Vidal instead of Melo, considering Marchisio is a weaker player than Melo?

Wouldn't it make more sense to you if we replace our weaker players than our best ones?

Just answer those.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
It's because we probably don't have too much money as the media makes us think. That's why we'll even make a profit from the midfield changes (Melo finances Vidal, Pazienza is free, Sissoko money are the profit). If we kept Melo then we would have to add money in addition to the Sissoko money in order to buy Vidal.

Either that or we're up to some pleasant surprises by the end of the transfer mercato.
I don't think we can afford to pay for a squad this year with Melo/Vidal/Pirlo/Pazienza/Marchisio as CM depth. We don't have any income from EL/CL, so we need to slim up the finances to have a solid pay structure and afford the right transfers.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009

I don't really buy it, to be honest.

What are we expecting to make from Melo's transfer?

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
I don't think we can afford to pay for a squad this year with Melo/Vidal/Pirlo/Pazienza/Marchisio as CM depth. We don't have any income from EL/CL, so we need to slim up the finances to have a solid pay structure and afford the right transfers.
Weak sauce. Buying one of Aguero or Rossi isn't needed or a right transfer as you say, yet we are after them.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Do you actually believe there's a chance of replacing Marchisio later this Summer after we'll get Vidal instead of Melo, considering Marchisio is a weaker player than Melo?

Wouldn't it make more sense to you if we replace our weaker players than our best ones?

Just answer those.
1.) Why wouldn't there be a chance? I've stated my reasons why I think Conte hasn't tried selling him yet. Tactically, with Pirlo it doesn't make that much sense to keep Melo for a 442.

2.) Depends. It depends on the player you are signing and how good he is.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Weak sauce. Buying one of Aguero or Rossi isn't needed or a right transfer as you say, yet we are after them.
Take into accound all the players we are trying to off-load too. Buying Aguero would be a massive lift to this team and yes, it is needed.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
(finally you responded to me)

You would be surprised though to see how many goals were conceded when Melo was playing. Was it Melo's fault? Not entirely, it was the teams...just like the other two under-achieved as you say, a lot of that comes down to DN's insane tactics, lineups and the players that they play around. Melo's job was just to clean up the messes, not to dicate play with passing...it doesn't make a difference to him if the team can pass or not, the only difference he needs to make is win the ball back...unfortunately for aqui/marchisio they rely on the players around them and we all know these players were not always that good.
His job was never specified and announced. When we bought him we knew he could destroy well, hold well and pass okay. That is pretty much what he did last season. How many goals we conceded with him on the pitch is irrelevant. Needless to say Marchisio and Aquilani were far less complementing of the entire team than Melo was. Melo played his role but the rest of the midfield didn't. Aquilani was constantly bullied off the ball, he was static and his passing was terrible. Marchisio simply had no footballing imagination. He didn't tackle, pass, dribble or hold the ball especially well and when he received the ball he would simply pass it off sideways or backward to another player majority of the time. Good players take the game on and show initiative. That's why Melo was praised for last seasons performance and Marchisio was criticized. One player showed initiative and the other didn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)