Felipe Melo (2 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Waa waaa waaa. How many red cards did he receive with us? I can recall two. If I'm right, Buffon received the same amount of red cards that Melo did last season. I guess the general sentiment on this forum is still the same - he cost us our season because of that red card verse Parma. That incident aside, he was never really as reckless as he's been made out to be. I hope his replacement shows even half the passion and enthusiasm that he did for the club last season.
The post was more or less referring to his reckless and rash decision making when going in for a challenge, not the amount of actual reds he received. It's a peculiar situation because some peeps claim melo was at fault for our season and some peeps claim we played with ten men all season. Two extremes clutching straws.

As for your last season, it appears that is a major reason for trying to sign Vidal, no? He displays such a high intensity for the entire match i am sure he could easily fill that role nicely. However, signing a player that can tackle and get rough and tough as melo did but also offer more in attack than Melo did is enough reason for me to sell melo and bring in that kind of player.

I could guarantee though if Vidal found his first season difficult people would be quick to judge him and the "i told you so's" would come flying as suddenly melo's first horrible season here would be forgotten.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Waa waaa waaa. How many red cards did he receive with us? I can recall two. If I'm right, Buffon received the same amount of red cards that Melo did last season. I guess the general sentiment on this forum is still the same - he cost us our season because of that red card verse Parma. That incident aside, he was never really as reckless as he's been made out to be. I hope his replacement shows even half the passion and enthusiasm that he did for the club last season.
Maybe he got only two red cards, i really can't remember but to watch him play & cringe every time he tackled almost turned me into a nervous wreck (add Sissoko to this list). Nothing personal against them but I would just prefer a calmer footballer.
PS/ Loved Davids & Montero & they were wild. Gaaah am getting old.

Cirillo

Nov 10, 2009
The post was more or less referring to his reckless and rash decision making when going in for a challenge, not the amount of actual reds he received. It's a peculiar situation because some peeps claim melo was at fault for our season and some peeps claim we played with ten men all season. Two extremes clutching straws.

As for your last season, it appears that is a major reason for trying to sign Vidal, no? He displays such a high intensity for the entire match i am sure he could easily fill that role nicely. However, signing a player that can tackle and get rough and tough as melo did but also offer more in attack than Melo did is enough reason for me to sell melo and bring in that kind of player.

I could guarantee though if Vidal found his first season difficult people would be quick to judge him and the "i told you so's" would come flying as suddenly melo's first horrible season here would be forgotten.
This happens way too often! People love focusing on the negatives

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Maybe he got only two red cards, i really can't remember but to watch him play & cringe every time he tackled almost turned me into a nervous wreck (add Sissoko to this list). Nothing personal against them but I would just prefer a calmer footballer.
The thing that is so different now than then was when we had Davids/Montero doing this massive challeges we had a WC team that woudln't lose control and would still come away with the 3 points. And knowing that the team we had for the last 2 years couldn't maintain a lead to save its life was largely because we lost possession to often in the wrong parts of the field and this includes making bad decisions and one of the faults I personally found in Melo. The Parma incident a major one but this includes free kicks he gave in and around goal far too often because he would lose his cool and go into a challenge to hard. Considering our track record with referee's and his piss poor attitude, no way in hell is a ref going to favor him. He needed to be smarter on the pitch and take these things into consideration which he never did. Sure the passion was great, I loved it too, but he rarely used it constructively.
This happens way too often! People love focusing on the negatives
Exactly.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
The thing that is so different now than then was when we had Davids/Montero doing this massive challeges we had a WC team that woudln't lose control and would still come away with the 3 points. And knowing that the team we had for the last 2 years couldn't maintain a lead to save its life was largely because we lost possession to often in the wrong parts of the field and this includes making bad decisions and one of the faults I personally found in Melo. The Parma incident a major one but this includes free kicks he gave in and around goal far too often because he would lose his cool and go into a challenge to hard. Considering our track record with referee's and his piss poor attitude, no way in hell is a ref going to favor him. He needed to be smarter on the pitch and take these things into consideration which he never did. Sure the passion was great, I loved it too, but he rarely used it constructively.
You put it better than me. I just lost ten years :D

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Well that's you're problem not Melo's. He's no Davids but he's no Sissoko either. Definitely not as prone to losing the ball than Momo in fact he made good runs forward when no one else was willing to challenge our opponents and was at times a decent passer of the ball. If his challenges were so rash and reckless the referees would have noticed and he would have received more than one red card last season.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Well that's you're problem not Melo's. He's no Davids but he's no Sissoko either. Definitely not as prone to losing the ball than Momo in fact he made good runs forward when no one else was willing to challenge our opponents and was at times a decent passer of the ball. If his challenges were so rash and reckless the referees would have noticed and he would have received more than one red card last season.
You nailed it there. It's also my opinion & that's why I won't miss him.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Few things,

Some of you are still forgetting or ignoring the fact that Marchi played out of position this season. The other thing is that Marchi wasn't as bad as some of you claim, he did perform better than most of our players, from Aquilani to Pepe and Martinez.
You'd would think with all Marchisio's supposed technical ability and attacking prowess he'd offer a lot in the position he played, as in a more centralized left-midfielder. But alas, people have to make excuses for him, so he didn't do so well after all.

In the center he didn't do anything of note besides play a simple game. Hundreds of CM's could have done the same job.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
You put it better than me. I just lost ten years :D
:D
It doesn't always come down to receiving cards, though. I'd rather he receive a yellow than give away a free kick right in front of goal or make a hasty decision because he lost the ball and got frustrated showing this in his challenges. Considering how easy it was for this team to conceded and our defenses track record of oozing conceded goals I expect Melo to pick up the slack, not increase it.

bleach

Jul 18, 2011
You'd would think with all Marchisio's supposed technical ability and attacking prowess he'd offer a lot in the position he played, as in a more centralized left-midfielder. But alas, people have to make excuses for him, so he didn't do so well after all.

In the center he didn't do anything of note besides play a simple game. Hundreds of CM's could have done the same job.
Well said. Not saying Melo is a world class player or anything, but heck he's a hell of a lot better than Marchisio:D What they guys does i will never know, what are his attributes i.e. is a great passer, is a great dribbler, does score a lot of goals or assists, what the hell is he good at? do you know?

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005

You just completely countered your own argument, right there though. 21 games as a LM scoring 4 goals, assisting 4, improving this teams possession with the hightest (tied with Melo) for passing completion he did nothing but improve the overall teams performance BECAUSE he did the simple things right. Unlike, Sissoko for example, whom had to always win the ball back after losing it himself and not making the simple decisions and actually completing them.

People like to overlook the hard work Marchisio puts in, tracking back, marking, cutting off channels, goals, assists, his technical ability to pretty much be competent across the entire midfield. Selling Melo and bringing Vidal is a step up because we are getting a player that apparently has it all. Melo is solely a destroyer and aren't you opposed to that type of play anyways because these types of players don't really do anythng for teams possession? Sure, if we sold Marchisio for a better player then I'd be for it too. He is no WC CM, obviously so if it time came to improve his position then by all means do it. This is what we are doing with Melo, so how can anyone have any beef with it? Just because he was our "best" player last year? An upgrade is an upgrade, doesn't matter who it is.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Well said. Not saying Melo is a world class player or anything, but heck he's a hell of a lot better than Marchisio:D What they guys does i will never know, what are his attributes i.e. is a great passer, is a great dribbler, does score a lot of goals or assists, what the hell is he good at? do you know?
Melo is a heck of a better DM than Marchisio. And that's about it.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
He said some of our players were shite.

Read pages back for opinion of his method.
Oh, he said that some time ago, if this the only thing then I don't see it as a reason to sell one of your best players, who looks like wants a competative squad and is willing to stay and improve it.

But I guess it's smart that you sell players who goes against you and don't hail Rossi* as champions, since it seems it is very likely that player of rossi's* caliber will be brought as a champion, we don't need ambitious players.

It's so sad to look at this team, even our supposed best players (Chiellini, Buffon) will hail players as rossi* as champions. What a bunch of mediocrity we have become.

And most of all fuck the unambitious club owners and management who will tell us Rossi* is our champion.

*Can be changed to any player that really isn't world class, and probably doesn't have the potential to become one any day soon.

bleach

Jul 18, 2011
You just completely countered your own argument, right there though. 21 games as a LM scoring 4 goals, assisting 4, improving this teams possession with the hightest (tied with Melo) for passing completion he did nothing but improve the overall teams performance BECAUSE he did the simple things right. Unlike, Sissoko for example, whom had to always win the ball back after losing it himself and not making the simple decisions and actually completing them.

People like to overlook the hard work Marchisio puts in, tracking back, marking, cutting off channels, goals, assists, his technical ability to pretty much be competent across the entire midfield. Selling Melo and bringing Vidal is a step up because we are getting a player that apparently has it all. Melo is solely a destroyer and aren't you opposed to that type of play anyways because these types of players don't really do anythng for teams possession? Sure, if we sold Marchisio for a better player then I'd be for it too. He is no WC CM, obviously so if it time came to improve his position then by all means do it. This is what we are doing with Melo, so how can anyone have any beef with it? Just because he was our "best" player last year? An upgrade is an upgrade, doesn't matter who it is.
:lol: Do you even Marchiso's goals and assists tally? :lol: if you did you wouldn't have mentioned that:lol: "he's good because he tracks back" :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)