Felipe Melo (68 Viewers)

Max

Jul 15, 2003
"Well, one of his brain-farts resulted in a goal in this 3-3 draw against a team that should've been beaten, but other than that I think he played great."

Now read this out loud to yourself. Does it sound ridiculous to you or is it just me? Why do we keep haplessly defending this guy each time he makes a mistake? Is it because of his price tag? Do we feel we have to say, "Oh, so what, he's a bit brash and doesn't take the time to think before he acts...those are just minor flaws in Melo's game."

Now, I'm not a big football guru like some of you guys (at times, and rightly so) are, but I think the inability to keep a cool head/make appropriate decisions during a game is a pretty big fucking flaw to have, especially when you're as involved in the game as a defensive midfielder happens to be. It's not worth the risk to field a player who may play "decent" football if his mind is in the right place that particular day.

Adluc1

Aug 30, 2010
That's because sometimes he's a superstar, but only if he doesn't decide to karate kick somebody in the knee when in the penalty area, or get dispossessed 47 times a game.

VicCB

Jul 30, 2010
I really like the guy, he's quality, but the problem is his decision making, he's just too wild and unreliable at times. I don't understand what was going through his head when he conceded the penalty kick. I don't want to sell him unless we bring a significant upgrade, and no, Sissoko is not that. Hell, he's not even a football player.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
"Well, one of his brain-farts resulted in a goal in this 3-3 draw against a team that should've been beaten, but other than that I think he played great."

Now read this out loud to yourself. Does it sound ridiculous to you or is it just me? Why do we keep haplessly defending this guy each time he makes a mistake? Is it because of his price tag? Do we feel we have to say, "Oh, so what, he's a bit brash and doesn't take the time to think before he acts...those are just minor flaws in Melo's game."

Now, I'm not a big football guru like some of you guys (at times, and rightly so) are, but I think the inability to keep a cool head/make appropriate decisions during a game is a pretty big fucking flaw to have, especially when you're as involved in the game as a defensive midfielder happens to be. It's not worth the risk to field a player who may play "decent" football if his mind is in the right place that particular day.
probably the best post i have read about Melo all week

Juventino[RUS];2695318 said:
Im really tired of this shit, 1 day they call him superstar, next day they call him garbage, where is ur respect guys
myself,Red and a few others have been banging our heads against abbrick wall for the last 5 days with this guy,people here saying "yes he makes a mistake but.....otherwise great game...etc" we cannot keep ignoring the fact that he makes mistakes after mistakes in games and still defend this. what makes it even more absurd is that tehre are players that get criticised even when they play weell,people pick apart everything some players do looking for mistakes ytet we have people defending a serial offender

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Max had a good post. But a lot of the criticsm here is based off of personal opinion and there is no real tried and true way of proving something right or wrong. So obviously, with some people(like me with Amauri for example) will be difficult to prove something different than what the person already thinks based off of their own obvservations.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
i actually like him but his preoccupation with pissing off the other team,daydreaming on the ball and his stupid lunges are going to cost us a lot of points and it is no good praising the guy when he continues to make these stupid mistakes game in game out.

what bothers me is that people on here are so full of double standards that they can praise this guy and ignore his blatant errors and yet bitch about other players who very rarely make mistakes and slaughter them for any single error

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Then whom exactly has to run?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one of the fans or what?
You're kidding me right? I believe there are four players who are mainly responsible to defend those sort of situations. Two defenders should have been there but weren't. Melo just works harder because he wants the best for the team.
Complain all you want about this guy. We have several passengers in the starting line up, they take no responsibility for this team and you as fans don't hold them accountable.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
i actually like him but his preoccupation with pissing off the other team,daydreaming on the ball and his stupid lunges are going to cost us a lot of points and it is no good praising the guy when he continues to make these stupid mistakes game in game out.

what bothers me is that people on here are so full of double standards that they can praise this guy and ignore his blatant errors and yet bitch about other players who very rarely make mistakes and slaughter them for any single error
Exactly. He can jump from an asset to a liability in a matter of seconds (see: Brazil vs. Holland, 2010).

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I still think that Melo is going to have a good year for us; that's not founded on much obviously, as he hasn't been consistent enough yet, but I'm still hopeful.

The guy started the season quite well, and he's trying really hard, so I'm not going to throw him under the bus yet. Obviously he made a terribly stupid play, it's indefensible, and we've seen similar incidents from him too many times... so of course, it's very frustrating, and extremely worrying.

Especially when he was so bad last season, so mentally unreliable.

Still, I'm definitely not ready to give up on the player yet. Part of that is because he shows some demonstrable quality at times, and I'll admit that part of it is because I'm not in favor of spending huge on a player and then giving him one season (especially last year) and two weeks, before kicking him out the door (taking a big loss, which might have been unnecessary with a bit more time). He deserves a full second year... if he continues to struggle, then by all means, sell him.

One thing is certain though - with Momo and Melo, it has to be one, or the other; never both. Their deficiencies are far too similar to have them both in the lineup at the same time.

We should definitely move one of them, and of the two, I'd greatly prefer that we kept Melo, but that's just me. Anyway, Forza Melo - we need him at his best.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
Good luck to Melo but honestly i have no hope for this guy. He can play 20 perfect games (yet to see that but it might happen) but there will always be that one "important" game that he'll screw up big time in and the team might lose everything because of that.

Mentally this guy is pretty weak.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I'll give him one last final chance. One more major screw up that costs us a goal in the next couple months, and I'll join the majority in calling for his head.

The problem I have is that I'm pretty sure Del Neri isn't the sort of manager to have him overcome his lack of confidence and overall lack of sensibility.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 68)