Felipe Melo (95 Viewers)

Calcio

Aug 21, 2009
Undoubtedly, our most succesful formation the diamond formation with Melo the sole DM. Surprising considering some of you say he flat out cannot play in such position.
thats because he sometimes plays as a regista, which clrearly isnt his role

Melo needs to run, tackle, defend and simply keep it simple

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Melo is such a mystery, how can he be that good with us Brazil and Fiorentina and then suck as much as he did lately??

Could this be a mentality issue alone??

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
For a long time i was led to believe that it was a post confederation cup fatigue issue.
That would be logic, since he was a starter after a great long season in Florence and then had a full summer with the NT!

His excellent first games disproved that he has the known small players in big teams syndrome. He doesnt seem to be afraid of the competition and he had no pressure anyway. (Sissoko+Marchisio were barely available in the same time and Ciro prefers him to everyone else)
He managed to prove him self and by winning a few consecutive MoMs, earn a starter's place.

He adapted to our system fairly well (initially) and if it was just a tactics issue, he would only work well under a certain formation and in a synergy with a certain player. Failing only when the conditions didnt favor him.
But he had great games with our core system and other combos (tactics+teammates) as well.

And then the flop awards started flying around and the 25mil price tag started growing the pressure around him.
And although he seemed happy with his choice of joining and eager to fit in and prove himself here, smth broke, i still cant tell whats the cause.

But smth has affected his mentality a great deal. And this had a deep impact to his performances...
This certain match was crucial, he still has a lot of pressure, our team's mentality is currently bellow zero, he hasnt been rested at all, he had no one to support him on his duties and yet!
However he performed very well, in yet another system, under the some coach (guide/motivator and instructor), fatigue and pressure as before!!

It makes no sense! And when it doent makes any logical sense, most of the times, the cause lies in the soul.
I wonder what triggered that change and if we can emulate it some more.

The trick seemed to have worked for a great variety of players (esp Diego), who seem to suffer from the same issue.

Could this be a glimpse of hope that smth (coach) is about to change?
Desperation after reaching the bottom?
Or smth entirely different?

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
What makes you say that?
Results.

Obviously, when our injured players are able to return (the keys being Camo, DC and Giovinco), we should reinstate a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond formation with Camo on the right ( or DC/Giovinco on the left) and Diego as the AM.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Results.

Obviously, when our injured players are able to return (the keys being Camo, DC and Giovinco), we should reinstate a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond formation with Camo on the right ( or DC/Giovinco on the left) and Diego as the AM.
I don't think we can field Giovinco out there. With Sali and DC you have two players who can cover a lot of ground and get stuck in well, which is why Melo was not as exposed as he could have been. With Camo and Seba he will be much more exposed, causing more problems for him and the defense.

Nicholas

MIRKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 30, 2008
I don't think we can field Giovinco out there. With Sali and DC you have two players who can cover a lot of ground and get stuck in well, which is why Melo was not as exposed as he could have been. With Camo and Seba he will be much more exposed, causing more problems for him and the defense.
You employ him next to Sissoko and Bloooooooooooom.

Sissoko-Melo

Camo-Diego-Giovinco

Amauri/Trez.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
For a long time i was led to believe that it was a post confederation cup fatigue issue.
That would be logic, since he was a starter after a great long season in Florence and then had a full summer with the NT!

His excellent first games disproved that he has the known small players in big teams syndrome. He doesnt seem to be afraid of the competition and he had no pressure anyway. (Sissoko+Marchisio were barely available in the same time and Ciro prefers him to everyone else)
He managed to prove him self and by winning a few consecutive MoMs, earn a starter's place.

He adapted to our system fairly well (initially) and if it was just a tactics issue, he would only work well under a certain formation and in a synergy with a certain player. Failing only when the conditions didnt favor him.
But he had great games with our core system and other combos (tactics+teammates) as well.

And then the flop awards started flying around and the 25mil price tag started growing the pressure around him.
And although he seemed happy with his choice of joining and eager to fit in and prove himself here, smth broke, i still cant tell whats the cause.

But smth has affected his mentality a great deal. And this had a deep impact to his performances...
This certain match was crucial, he still has a lot of pressure, our team's mentality is currently bellow zero, he hasnt been rested at all, he had no one to support him on his duties and yet!
However he performed very well, in yet another system, under the some coach (guide/motivator and instructor), fatigue and pressure as before!!

It makes no sense! And when it doent makes any logical sense, most of the times, the cause lies in the soul.
I wonder what triggered that change and if we can emulate it some more.

The trick seemed to have worked for a great variety of players (esp Diego), who seem to suffer from the same issue.

Could this be a glimpse of hope that smth (coach) is about to change?
Desperation after reaching the bottom?
Or smth entirely different?
What happened? The team got dumped out from CL group stage needing a draw to advance to knockouts, thats what happened. And it is enough of a reason to feel empty like they have been feeling. Add to that rather unconsistant form in serie a and the fact that Melo is a emotional player.

Joe

Dec 20, 2009
I've said some harsh words before in the past, and I believe they were justifyable and if I look back on the games I still agree on what I said but I have to give credit when credit is due - and Melo did an excellent performance tonight. Bravo.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
Fair enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 95)