Felipe Melo (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I'm not even going to start comparing our current squad to Capello's. Our midfield and attack look quite strong, but remember that Capello had Zambrotta and Thuram, as well as Cannavaro at his best and Zebina un-injured (for what it's worth).

Defence wins championships, and I think even if we do sign Melo, we won't be competitive unless we improve our back line.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I'm not even going to start comparing our current squad to Capello's. Our midfield and attack look quite strong, but remember that Capello had Zambrotta and Thuram, as well as Cannavaro at his best and Zebina un-injured (for what it's worth).

Defence wins championships, and I think even if we do sign Melo, we won't be competitive unless we improve our back line.
There is a man who knows what he is talking about ;) I expect no less from someone who has in excess of 26,000 posts :D

Mar 30, 2006
all but the defense is as strong or stronger than Capello's. Trez and DP were a whole lot younger the too as well, gotta take that into account plus we had Ibra. It is a tough one, lets wait til the season starts to make that judgment:D

Our midfield is a bloody Roman Legion ready to expand the empire.
yeah our defence kinda sucks. I was just excited i guess.

I like your description of the midfield :lol:

abejaa

Sep 25, 2006
Juve has no intention of allowing Inter to win this season. it will be our 3rd season back in Serie A and the way the club has strengthened we are expected to compete for Serie A and Scudetto.

This Juve is stronger than Capello's I think (if we get fullbacks) .. because his team just had a great starting 11 but not a great bench (and in his last year Emerson and Vieira were really slowing down)
I kinda agree with that post, In capello's time we didn't have Diego, nor we had Giovinco, our strikers that time were great, Mutu, Zalayeta, Trezeguet, Ibra, and Alex, but still our attack is similar to that, Our midfield is better, Melo> Viera, Sissoko>Emerson, Cannavaro was very good that time, but I think chiellini is as good as him (im talking about the past) De ceglie could turn to a great fullback even better than Zambrota, and Zebina could stop getting injured :)

Enoran

Nov 3, 2007
Nah ... while I can agree on most parts of your post, I dun think Chiellini (07/08, probably being his best season) has come close to matching the Cannavaro of 2005/2006. Canna was an immerse force for Juve and Italy backline. Not even Nesta or Maldini can match Canna in that 2 seasons with us.

Canna was 31-32 yo where he become one of the world's greatest defender, there is still time for Chiellini to turn himself from a good defender to a great one.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005

Zebina un-injured, wow that was so long ago that Thuram was considered a loyal player:snoop:

abejaa

Sep 25, 2006
Nah ... while I can agree on most parts of your post, I dun think Chiellini (07/08, probably being his best season) has come close to matching the Cannavaro of 2005/2006. Canna was an immerse force for Juve and Italy backline. Not even Nesta or Maldini can match Canna in that 2 seasons with us.

Canna was 31-32 yo where he become one of the world's greatest defender, there is still time for Chiellini to turn himself from a good defender to a great one.
Come on stop talking nonsense, We all know that Cannavaro was very lucky to have always great players around him, In juve 2005/2006 he had Viera and emerson as defensive midfielders, he had Zebina (not injured), Thuram and Zambrota, in the the worst scenario Buffon will save his day, the team was completed,

Unlikely Chiellini had only Buffon, when he had Sissoko in front he looked very good, even though he had Legro or Mellberg (instead of thuram) he had moli instead of Zambrota (or his self Chiellini) and he had as RB Grygera, So there is a big difference, between cannavaro 2005 and chiellini 2008! We all saw cannavaro when he had shit players around him in real Madrid he just suck!

Durden

May 11, 2006
Its not nonsense, Canna was amazing those two seasons. Chiellini is good and I like the kid but you can't compare him to the "old" Canna. Hopefully we can in a few years.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Come on stop talking nonsense, We all know that Cannavaro was very lucky to have always great players around him, In juve 2005/2006 he had Viera and emerson as defensive midfielders, he had Zebina (not injured), Thuram and Zambrota, in the the worst scenario Buffon will save his day, the team was completed,

Unlikely Chiellini had only Buffon, when he had Sissoko in front he looked very good, even though he had Legro or Mellberg (instead of thuram) he had moli instead of Zambrota (or his self Chiellini) and he had as RB Grygera, So there is a big difference, between cannavaro 2005 and chiellini 2008! We all saw cannavaro when he had shit players around him in real Madrid he just suck!
reading here are off the chart,or did i accidentally use the dumb-ometer?

Enoran

Nov 3, 2007
I am not going to disagree with u on your points cos its valid as Canna did have better players around him.

My point is that the Canna of old is a better overall defender than Chiellini not only of his defending but his overall composure and confidence, something which Chiellini still lacks in his game.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002

You are just saying this because Canna left us at a tough time and you hold a grudge for him because of it

Canna was a golden ball winner if you just forget!
He was something amazing in those 2 seasons especially the one he won it and altough I do rate Chiellini he is a very good player probably one of the best central defenders in the world today but he still has to up his level in order to get to Canna`s golden years level.
Canna was amazing for us and you can say what you want about backup but just remember that he was amazing, won the golden ball which means he was the best player in the world in that same year (and it was justified)
Do you see Chiellini winning it or even be a top contender for it?! I guess not
maybe on of those days it will happen but right now he won`t win it

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
yeah, cannavaro was a monster ... i like how he just stole the ball with the chest from the german player and initiated the counter that lead to del pieros goal in 2006

May 22, 2009
However Chiellini will be a bigger player or legend at Juve, something Cannavaro can only dream of. But the latter one is a legend in Italy, no doubt it.

Felipe Melo will be officially confirmed as a Juve player on monday just after his vacation ends.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
We dont have to be as competitive as the old Juve, just competitive enough to defeat this new Inter...

Melo is not a bad tool for that, but our situation on the defense is still pathetic,
at least Melo is a player who may help them a bit and hopefully Ferrara will make them work more efficient too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)