Felipe Melo (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 26, 2004
Well, i'll be honest with you and say that most Arsenal fans don't rate him.

But i believe most of the criticism he gets is unfair. He's been played out of position for the last 2 years, he rarely complains yet he gets slack for not doing well. I think Wenger should be the one receiving the slack for constantly playing him out of position.

Now, as a fullback i believe that when his head is right, he's a very good fullback. But his main problems are in his attitude. He could be extremely lazy in tracking back and closing his opponents down sometimes.

I think he is completely Molinaro's opposite. While Molinaro can never be faulted for not trying hard enough, he can be faulted for his lack of talent and ability. Eboue has the talent, but he doesn't try hard enough sometimes.
Judging by your description he is more of a Zebina.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
No we have better players but we don't want to sell them. Giovinco is twice greater (better) than Walcot, Or chiellini is much more better than gallas or that swiss guy who played for milan last season. And he have 4 strikers arsenal have 2.... so shut the fuck up :)
I like your way of ending a post. :lol:

zizoufan

Z.Z T h e M a s t e r
May 25, 2004
rsenal make Melo approach
Tuesday 7 July, 2009
Fiorentina director of sport Pantaleo Corvino says Arsenal rather than Juventus are in pole position to sign Felipe Melo this summer.

The Brazil international midfielder recently signed a contract extension with the Viola, which just happens to include a £20m buyout clause.

“Arsenal have made us a proposal for Melo and Wenger wants to speak again with me. I haven't one preclusion because I could also obtain an interesting part-ownership, so I don't exclude anything,” Corvino said.

“There is not one club that has offered the amount established in the buyout clause and there aren't any meetings scheduled.

“The money cashed by eventual sales will be reinvested,” Corvino concluded, reassuring the club's fans.

Channel 4

What the f**k is going on ? I'm confused !

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
:shifty:

The hell is going on... I thought it was confirmed that we are actually meeting Fiorentina today?

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
No meeting between Juventus and Fiorentina??

Mark? Any news?
The papers say there's no meeting today and that Corvino wants 25m, nothing less.

For what it's worth, Secco just arrived at Juve headquarters all tanned back from his vacation.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
Guess it's gonna be another day without good news on a midfielder. Since the board insist it's our main priority, I want us to sign one asap. That way we can start working on the positions in dire need of fixing.

C'mon Secco, use your new energy to get this guy. :)

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
You know, the bright side of life is more beautiful than the dark one, because if you only look at that side, you will miss alot.

I try to tell myself that often whilst regularly checking back here for news on this midfielder-transfer-saga. :xfinger:

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
From what i understood Arsenal didn't offer 25m€ but their offer (money+Eboue) was the closest to 25m€. (probably something like 17-18m+Eboue).
From what i heard, Arsene isn't willing to involve Eboue in any deal. I heard he's more willing to offer Senderos + money.

I wouldn't mind trading both players for Melo tbh. IMO 7-10M plus both players is more than fair.

Getting Melo would make this summer one of the most satisfying summers as an Arsenal fan for a long long time.

Because;
- EPL teams generally have more income!
-You have wiser/exp/smarter managers than we do, who make a better/more efficient use of the same amount of cash.
-It is reported by the Fiorentina officials that the best offer they got was coming from Arsenal. And was higher than the 11mil pounds, we can currently afford.
-You can use better bargain chips-players, both talent wise and value wise Eboue is more valuable than Grygera for ex. And Fiorentina would prefer the Arsenal choice for the same amount of money.
-I also believe that Melo is a higher priority for Arsenal and they could spend more for him, but i am not sure about that.
-And finally because you did not spent the amount of money we did and you probably, still have more cash around, than us atm...
-We can raise more funds from sales, but you can raise even more.
EPL team are wealthy and they can afford to for average players, more than serie a teams. For ex, i dont think that would be the same problem for Man city or newcastle to buy a Marchionni for the full price of 5-5 mil, like it is the case with Fiorentina!
-Besides Arsenal are not bad sellers, unlike Secco, selling for decent sums, seems to be his greatest weakness. And Arsenal have better and more promising players to sell than we do. Must of the players we sell are washed up...

For those reasons, i believe that you can raise more money than us.
I m not sure that you would spend it on Melo though:wink:

Just out of curiosity, what are your priorities for this year?
We aren't like most EPL teams. We have debt's to cover because of our stadium. Its not like we have money lying around waiting to be spent.

I didn't understand what you meant in your last question by "priorities"? Priorities in terms of signings?

This is true, although the last sentence is debatable.
But it's true that they can sell their players for better money and i strongly believe that it has a lot to do with the popularity of the EPL among some other things.

Just look at Felipe Melo. 4-5 matches in the confederations cup made his price much higher than it would've been if he didn't play in South Africa. He was seen by everyone playing well for Brazil. He was great for Fiorentina, but still not many knew him and not many were willing to pay 20-25m for him.
Since the EPL is widely broadcasted, everyone follows it and since Arsenal were regulars in the CL in the last years, all their players are on everyone's radar, followed by coaches, scouts etc.
Juve were absent from Europe for 2 years, we were eliminated early from the CL, not many follow serie A anymore and even the Italian team is doing bad.
Denilson might not be a better player than Poulsen, and he isn't, but his market price will be higher than Poulsen's only for the reasons i mentioned.

It's like buying a 24 year old Shevchenko from Dinamo Kiev and buying a 24 year old Shevchenko from Milan. You'll surely pay much more if you buy him from Milan.
That's worrying. Playing in serie A (unless you're proven worldwide like Kaka) automathically means that you're cheaper than you'd have been if you played in the EPL.
It was opposite some 7-10 years ago. The better players in the EPL had the same, or even lower price as Di Vaio or the likes from serie A.
Very good points you raised here.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
You know, the bright side of life is more beautiful than the dark one, because if you only look at that side, you will miss alot.

I try to tell myself that often whilst regularly checking back here for news on this midfielder-transfer-saga. :xfinger:
But you must also see the dark one, to acknowledge the importance/beauty of the bright side! You learn how to really value all the beautiful things in life after wards.

For ex, no one would appreciate paradise, if there was no hell.
No one would appreciate beautiful girls if they werent any ugly ones around...

You cant ignore reality, because it can back and slap you hard on the face, as you are dreaming...

Melo is a tough target to get atm and this will make his acquisition a whole more sweeter if it become true!
We aren't like most EPL teams. We have debt's to cover because of our stadium. Its not like we have money lying around waiting to be spent.

I didn't understand what you meant in your last question by "priorities"? Priorities in terms of signings?

Very good points you raised here.
But you are still an EPL team and because of that, most of my arguments still stand. I ve heard that Wenger was promised more money for the transfers...

I m sorry if the stadium gets in the way of your competence on the field, thats just sad...

Yes, thats exactly the priorities i meant! Are you looking for forwards?
We'll end up with Ledesema
Thats probable and a realistic scenario considering our transfer history. I would prefer buying no CMs than that though...

Apr 29, 2006
Guys I think you are missing the point.
Arsenal can sell these players on a higher prices, because they have (almost) equal skills to our bench warmers but much lower salaries. And that is the whole issue with secco having a talent or not.
Trezeguet is attractive to many clubs, but not with a salary of 4.5 mil euros per year. The same could be said for Poulsen and etc.
It is a bit hard to convince the president of Lyon for example to part with Benzema(whom they gave less than 3 mil euros per year) and replace him with the short-term option of Trezegoal for 4.5 mil. Not to mention the prospects that Trezeguet won't get a national call, is unlikely to be a profitable invesment (as in sold for MORE money) and etc.
But that is because Juve has always been top of the food chain club. We are supposed to pick up those guys that are coming here to stay and spend the better parts of their careers. We had a few exceptions over the years, but they were basically replacing one good player with another (Pippo, Baggio, Zidane)...
So bashing Secco or saying that professionals buy players for less/more because they played in the EPL is... SICK.
Better players go to the EPL/Spain, because they have lower taxes on salaries or the clubs have different investment schemes.
Then again I am not a professional, like Secco....
:)

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
If we dont get Melo then i really hope we just stop looking for another midfielder and concentrate on getting fullbacks and anither centre back. We dont need to try and get Ledesma diarra or gago.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I did some research. Eboue is earning 82 000 pounds a week. That's 4.25m bp a year.

My source is a poor one [ http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_Emmanuel_Eboue_get_paid_as_salary_weekly ] but i can't get the info from another place.

4.25m pounds equals almost 5m eur a year.
So i wonder, will he accept to join Fiorentina where Gilardino earns 1.65m eur a year, Melo earns 1.2m eur, Frey earns 1.5m and Mutu earns 1.65m officially but it's rumored that he makes 2m a year and he's the highest paid player. Fiorentina have a 1.65m salary cap and Eboue will have to take a drastic wage cut.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
But you must also see the dark one, to acknowledge the importance/beauty of the bright side! You learn how to really value all the beautiful things in life after wards.

For ex, no one would appreciate paradise, if there was no hell.
No one would appreciate beautiful girls if they werent any ugly ones around...

You cant ignore reality, because it can back and slap you hard on the face, as you are dreaming...

Melo is a tough target to get atm and this will make his acquisition a whole more sweeter if it become true!

But you are still an EPL team and because of that, most of my arguments still stand. I ve heard that Wenger was promised more money for the transfers...

I m sorry if the stadium gets in the way of your competence on the field, thats just sad...

Yes, thats exactly the priorities i meant! Are you looking for forwards?

Thats probable and a realistic scenario considering our transfer history. I would prefer buying no CMs than that though...

Our biggest priority is a DM, we virtually have no real ball winner in our entire squad. We have many CM's(Cesc, Diaby and Denilson) but no real destroyer. It was one of our biggest problems last season, that we didn't have an adequate partner for Cesc.

And no, we don't need any strikers we already have 5 in our ranks. Adebayor, RVP, Vela, Bentnder and Eddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)