Favorite Athletes Overall (3 Viewers)

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
"all about the service" - that's greg rusedski or ivo karlovic.

safin was a big guy, so he had a big serve. but he was much, much more than that. mainly a baseline player, he had a terrific backhand, very smart build-up game, good legs and an all-attacking game on his day. too bad he wasted most of his talent. talent wise, he was up there with the biggest talents like federer, sampras, petr korda, mcenroe or rod laver. with the old agassi's relentlessness and discipline, he could have easily won 10+ slams, even in the fedal era. he's so underrated it's not even funny.

safin also beat the prime federer on roger's favorite surface:

and near-prime agassi at paris:

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
One of the best ice hockey players ever, played with chronic injury for long spells, even came back from having cancer. Unkillable.
did he just google Mario Lemieux? THE BEST HOCKEY PLAYER THAT EVER LIVED? I see you Wayne and Bobby.

- - - Updated - - -

"all about the service" - that's greg rusedski or ivo karlovic.

safin was a big guy, so he had a big serve. but he was much, much more than that. mainly a baseline player, he had a terrific backhand, very smart build-up game, good legs and an all-attacking game on his day. too bad he wasted most of his talent. talent wise, he was up there with the biggest talents like federer, sampras, petr korda, mcenroe or rod laver. with the old agassi's relentlessness and discipline, he could have easily won 10+ slams, even in the fedal era. he's so underrated it's not even funny.

safin also beat the prime federer on roger's favorite surface:

and near-prime agassi at paris:

I loved Goran Ivanisevic. :D

- - - Updated - - -

my fav hockey player was Patrick Roy though.
Baseball would be Larry Walker.
Curling no, well maybe that French Canadian guy Guy Hemmings.
I liked that Italian guy with a German/Austrian name at the winter Olympics a while back. Armin Zoggeler.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
I loved Goran Ivanisevic. :D
goran :sheik: that boner he had on court when he won the matchball against rafter in the wimby final :touched:

a couple of other players i loved: rafter, henman, arazi, grosjean, santoro, etc. they were not winning machines like federer or nadal, but all of them had plenty of style and finesse.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
a couple of other players i loved: henman
Surprised to see posh English choker get much love. Can't saw I ever liked him all that much. Nor Rusedski. Murray is also a boring sod. "British" don't tend to do tennis players well.

He definitely had an interesting game to watch, mostly serve and volley player. Pretty much dead in tennis now. Pete Sampras would be in a top 20 list I'd make, the first great player I remember.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Surprised to see posh English choker get much love. Can't saw I ever liked him all that much. Nor Rusedski. Murray is also a boring sod. "British" don't tend to do tennis players well.

He definitely had an interesting game to watch, mostly serve and volley player. Pretty much dead in tennis now. Pete Sampras would be in a top 20 list I'd make, the first great player I remember.
unfortunately. serve and volley is/was the sexiest of all playing styles, today's baseline players are boring as it gets. but atp had to slow down the courts, allowing moonballers, baseline players, claycourt players to shine on all surfaces. nadal could have won zero wimby or us open titles in the '90s with those properly fast courts. tennis was my favorite sport to watch for most of the '90s, it was a never ending clash of different styles. now all players are uniform, and i rarely have the desire and patience to watch a single full match.

btw murray is actually a likeable guy compared to most tennis players, but i can't stand his tennis. he's like holding back for 99% of the points, he's way too defensive for his abilities. he's the capello-coached juve of tennis, with too much thinking, too little instincts or emotions. sorry for his injury, but tbh i don't miss him at all.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Ole Einar Bjørndalen
Most cyclist from the EPO-era
Fabian Cancellara
Peter Sagan
Ronnie O'Sullivan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)