Factors That Decide Football Matches (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
There's so many different things that can influence the outcome of a match.

Recent form
Head-to-head record
Weather
Crowd size
Away team time/distance to travel
Injuries
New manager
Motivation (most teams playing Man U treat it as the biggest game of the season)
"Need-to-win" (at times of relegation and championship deciders)
Formation
Derbies

What are some others?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
referees and their decisions
suspensions
the security of the manager's job
recent scandals
personal issues with important players

imo need to win would classify as motivation

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    I guess so....maybe i should've said morale

btw, please nobody mention Korea-Italy.... it's getting childish now :rolleyes:

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

PAYING THE REFEREE, bad refereeing, valid goals called offside

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
    Style of play - (the main reason why Italian teams tend to do well in Europe)

Adapting to the situation - No team can go out and score 5 goals every matchday. Like we have seen so often with Juve, they know how to adapt to the situation even if the odds are heavily stacked agasint them.

Inspirational performance from one player - Self explanatory. Example: Toldo vs Valencia, Nedved against so many teams :D

Hunger - I guess that comes under motivation but some players just love to keep winning which can be an important factor.

Resilience - the "Never say Die" attitude which Juve have shown in recent times.

Managers ability to change things around - Things won't go smoothly always. The manager needs to know how to play his cards right.

Luck - Last but definitely not the least ;)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003

Crooked officials, most notably WC 2002. :D:D:D

Just kidding, man.

You opened the door, and I had to let myself in.

But look, I brought you a pie!!!

On a more serious note, I think you summed up just about everything.

The only thing I could really add to this would be:

showcasing of certain players to possibly increase their value in the January transfer market. This may apply to a team that by that time, really doesn't have anything to play for, and if it can fill its coffers in mid-season, then so be it. After all, it's a business, and if the team isn' t playing to win at that point, then it's looking to get paid.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    There's so many different things that can influence the outcome of a match.

Recent form
    Head-to-head record
    Weather
    Crowd size
    Away team time/distance to travel
    Injuries
    New manager
    Motivation (most teams playing Man U treat it as the biggest game of the season)
    "Need-to-win" (at times of relegation and championship deciders)
    Formation
    Derbies

What are some others?

Goals

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++
    Goals
    You're absolutely right, Paul.
    What's the purpose of putting much effort in the game if you're already 5 goals down in the second half.

Hmm, you guys have said mostly all...what I can add is, a player having personal issues with another player (was thinking Bend it like Bakham along the lines :D) --- slightly different to what Josh said about having issues with important players :D

-S-

Meow

Jun 8, 2003
    Gray mentioned crowd size and I'd rather just say the crowd/audience. That's why it's always hard to play against Greek or turkish teams. Or sometimes a player touches the ball and then the fans of the opponent team boo you . Hard to play well in these circumstances.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    altitude...
    makes Bolivia such a fortress even agaisnt th likes of Argentina and Brazil

food...
    a popular excuse for countires like Malaysia and Thailand when the lost all games held at Arabian countries.

historical rivalry..
    China-Japan, German- Holland,

political situation, humidity, etc

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #15
    ahhh the altitude was a good one.

I remember when Australia was waiting to see who their opponents for the world cup playoff would be, everyone was hoping it'd be Uruguay, because they were so concerned about Colombia's altitude. Fat lot of good it did us though :rolleyes::annoyed:

Japan-China !? Japan-Korea more like it! All the sporting events between those two, even if it's in top-spinning, are so competitive!

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by USA Juventini ] ++

The only thing I could really add to this would be:

showcasing of certain players to possibly increase their value in the January transfer market. This may apply to a team that by that time, really doesn't have anything to play for, and if it can fill its coffers in mid-season, then so be it. After all, it's a business, and if the team isn' t playing to win at that point, then it's looking to get paid.

Bloody hell, you have no idea how much of that has been in Bosnian football in the last few years :mad:

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    i am speaking rivalry beyond the world of sports..

China and Japan had numerous times of wars in their history. And Chinese people still hold grudges over bad treatment by the Japanese during WWII ...

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #18
    ++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
    i am speaking rivalry beyond the world of sports..

China and Japan had numerous times of wars in their history. And Chinese people still hold grudges over bad treatment by the Japanese during WWII ...
    And Japan occupying Korea for 35 years, suppressing the culture, torturing people and raping women...isn't bad treatment? Interesting fact: The English spelling used to be Corea, but Japan changed the name so that they would come first alphabetically in the Olympics :) That's why they were being so patriotic during the World Cup, holding up signs saying "GO COREA", because the Korean people felt like they'd shown themselves to have advanced far beyond the years when they were under Japanese rule.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003

an occupying Korea for 35 years, suppressing the culture, torturing people and raping women...isn't bad treatment?
    i think that goes to all the country that Japan occupied...

but China -Japan wars goes very far dated since the prehistoric days.. They have some kind of relations as you can see that they use the same kanji (writings)...the hatred were like biologically written in their DNA.
    And i think the Chinese receive more abuse compare to other races... the Malaysian and Indonesian Chinese were selectively picked for toture... beside i stumble upon those rivalty more in other readings compare to Korea- Japan which is more famousl only in football sence...

Interesting fact: The English spelling used to be CorAnd Japea, but Japan changed the name so that they would come first alphabetically in the Olympics :) That's why they were being so patriotic during the World Cup, holding up signs saying "GO COREA", because the Korean people felt like they'd shown themselves to have advanced far beyond the years when they were under Japanese rule.

that explain the fuss about KoreaJapan as the official name for the WC 2002...:p

points outs about show some people can be foolishly fussy about some stupid small things..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)