Would you keep Quagliarella?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
That alone puts him above Aquilani in the defensive department. Modric has much bigger radius of movement and covers more ground. All that + being a very good reader of the game leads to making lots of interceptions and for a CM, intercepting passes IS a defensive quality.
I don't know if EPL has those stats about intercepted passes as serie A has (virgilio sport). It will be interested to compare Modric and Aquilani there (interceptions to minutes played ratio).
Tackling is not Modric's forte, but lets face it, neither Aquilani is known for being a tackler. Just like Xavi isn't known for being a good tackler.
Right so now Modric is better defensively, great.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
He intercepts more passes than Aquilani does, he covers more ground than Aquilani does and puts pressure on the opponents by chasing them and being close to them. For an attacking minded MC, that's how you look at him defensively, not by the tackles he makes. Geez, some people will say no to Xavi because he's bad defensively.

And we're talking about Aquilani. Even if Modric isn't better defensively than Aquilani, how worse can he be? How worse can anyone be defensively than Aquilani?

And for a change, I'd love someone like Aquilani who can't defend for shit, but can at least play football. We need something like that in our central midfield. Just like we will do well with someone like Modric there.

It's about time to stop looking at our midfielders and rating them by how can they defend.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
There are other attributes to football than just how well they can play with the ball, it's better to look at all attributes. As we spent the whole of last season watching our team getting torn apart on counter attacks I would say it is quite crucial to make sure that doesn't happen so much. But you answered my question, you'd like a creative midfielder in our 4-4-2. I'm sure many will agree with you like I said before, even though we look more like a wing orientated team, it'll be interesting to see Aquilani in there because the balance might be affected. As for Modric, it's just hypothesy, we can actually watch Aquilani now, so if they are quite similar we can see if this plan works at both ends of the pitch.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I'm not going to judge Aquilani based on the little time he played at Liverpool under a pragmatic coach who would often play Mascherano and Lucas in the midfield together :rolleyes2

OK. So it goes to whether you think we can afford to play Modric in CM with someone else.

This I don't understand, as Aquilani is a CM, plain and simple. Modric has excelled for Spurs further forward and even from the left wing, although as you point out, he is a player who likes to contribute across the midfield.

I already said that, so you don't completely disagree ;)

I didn't disagree, although time will tell on the latter part. For me he is a player who can contribute a little defensively but needs a physically strong player behind him. Spurs just happen to have a tank behind him when he plays.
On the complete contrary, Modric has excelled mostly for Spurs when he was finally played in his original central midfield position. The second half of last season(when he came back from injury) he played as a CM most of the time, and that was when he was in his best form for Tottenham. I remember the Chelsea game in particular, the one Tottenham won 2-1, i remember that game in particular, because i remember having an argument with Vlatko before it, he told me that Redknapp had a wrong perception about Modric, when Redknapp said that Modric was too lightweight to play as CM, i disagreed with Vlatko and thought Redknap had a point, but after the absolutely dominating performance against Lampard and Ballack in that game in which he worked very hard and intercepted so many balls and at the same time, was a creative force for Tottenham, after that game i was convinced that Vlatko was indeed right about him. From that game on, i don't believe Modric ever started a game on the left for Tottenham again.

As for Juventus affording to play Modric as CM, well if they can afford playing Aquilani, they definitely can play Modric. I strongly believe that Luka is better defensively than Aquilani.

That alone puts him above Aquilani in the defensive department. Modric has much bigger radius of movement and covers more ground. All that + being a very good reader of the game leads to making lots of interceptions and for a CM, intercepting passes IS a defensive quality.
I don't know if EPL has those stats about intercepted passes as serie A has (virgilio sport). It will be interested to compare Modric and Aquilani there (interceptions to minutes played ratio).
Tackling is not Modric's forte, but lets face it, neither Aquilani is known for being a tackler. Just like Xavi isn't known for being a good tackler.

Juvejay will say thats not a fair comparison for Aquilani, as he didn't always play as CM with Rafa, and he's probably right about that, if those statistics do exist, there won't be any doubt about Modric having more interceptions than Aquilani, in fact it would probably be a no contest. What would be more interesting is if we got Aquilani's stats from the Serie A and compared them to Luka's stats in the EPL.

and i completely agree on Xavi, and Modric is a better defender than him too.

I certainly believe so.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Juvejay will say thats not a fair comparison for Aquilani, as he didn't always play as CM with Rafa
I actually mean this new season. Both will play at CM, I think. At the end of the season we can compare those defensive stats, like tackles, interceptions and so on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)