vote

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Who else are we going to sign with 1 day of the transfer window left?

Obviously it's a disaster scenario if Chiellini has a notable injury, but it's also not workable to have a pile of starting-quality players for each position, eventually they grumble and want to play somewhere, or they stay and the performances are below par. You can't get a happy medium so have to resort to less talented players as back ups. Someone like Bruno Alves would simply be a product of the situation, the club would never be interested in him if three starters were not injured and one wanted to leave.

And no, I don't believe for a minute it would be worthwhile trying to force someone with Benatia's personality to stay, he's a hothead.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Who else are we going to sign with 1 day of the transfer window left?

Obviously it's a disaster scenario if Chiellini has a notable injury, but it's also not workable to have a pile of starting-quality players for each position, eventually they grumble and want to play somewhere, or they stay and the performances are below par. You can't get a happy medium so have to resort to less talented players as back ups. Someone like Bruno Alves would simply be a product of the situation, the club would never be interested in him if three starters were not injured and one wanted to leave.

And no, I don't believe for a minute it would be worthwhile trying to force someone with Benatia's personality to stay, he's a hothead.
With all due respect, for a team with CL championship ambitions, you should have 2 starting quality CB's as depth, especially considering the well documented injury history of one of them. And if people think that Caceres is a starting quality CB for this club, they need a reality check.

It shouldn't matter whether Benatia is a hot head or not, and even if that was the case and they followed his history, they should have been better prepared for this eventuality.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
We have four starting quality central defenders plus Caceres, three are now injured. So my point is that it's fantasy to expect us to have 5, 6, 7 players of starting quality for each position.

We could have three right backs injured and none to pick from. Same for left backs. Same issue throughout the entire squad. You can only have so many in a squad officially and practically in terms of morale, no hindsight will change this.

I think better choice could be made, but also at times you cannot cover ever possibility.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
We have four starting quality central defenders plus Caceres, three are now injured. So my point is that it's fantasy to expect us to have 5, 6, 7 players of starting quality for each position.

We could have three right backs injured and none to pick from. Same for left backs. Same issue throughout the entire squad. You can only have so many in a squad officially and practically in terms of morale, no hindsight will change this.

I think better choice could be made, but also at times you cannot cover ever possibility.
Barzagli hasn't played in months and is 38. Where are the four quality central defenders you are speaking of? So its too much to ask to keep someone for 4 months? That is what I'm supposed to believe?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Barzagli hasn't played in months and is 38. Where are the four quality central defenders you are speaking of? So its too much to ask to keep someone for 4 months? That is what I'm supposed to believe?
No, we could have forced him I suppose. But it all looks great in hindsight. Otherwise it would be Rugani rotating with the two and Caceres and Barzagli playing here and there. In that situation there is just no room for another quality defender.

Worst move was already made in the summer, bringing back Bonucci. But them Caldara has been a crock so far so... ds do not have a crystal ball, injuries are the risk that can blow all plans.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 62)