External Hard drive for MAC (2 Viewers)

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
Hey guys, maybe you will be able to help me...my brother has a apple laptop, and he needs to buy an external hard drive to back up all his designs and work etc, does he need to buy an apple made external hard drive, or can he buy any sort of hard drive?

Any recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated

Buy on AliExpress.com

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I have a WD my passport external hard drive. It works fine on Mac, but I can't get it to work on my Windows 7. Any idea what to do?
What format is your external hard drive formatted to? I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

Yes, go into disk utilities and make sure to format your external hard drive to a format that works on both Windows and Mac. :) Beware, when you format your hard drive, all your data is going to be deleted. :)

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
What format is your external hard drive formatted to? I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

Yes, go into disk utilities and make sure to format your external hard drive to a format that works on both Windows and Mac. :) Beware, when you format your hard drive, all your data is going to be deleted. :)
There are three options. Which one of them should I chose?

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
There are three options. Which one of them should I chose?
First of all you should tell me the names of those options. :D I could say option 2, but I wouldn't really know what I was telling you to do.

When you right click on your external hard drive and click Show Info, what does it say you about your current format?

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
You are looking the wrong place. Ok, first of all, go to Finder and right click on your Hard drive and click "Info". Tell me what it says about its format.

If the format is wrong, then you have to go to "Slet" in Disk Utility under your Hard Drive. There are different options and a lot of the options should work just fine there, but take a screenshot of the available formats so I can help you choose the best one. :)

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
You are looking the wrong place. Ok, first of all, go to Finder and right click on your Hard drive and click "Info". Tell me what it says about its format.

If the format is wrong, then you have to go to "Slet" in Disk Utility under your Hard Drive. There are different options and a lot of the options should work just fine there, but take a screenshot of the available formats so I can help you choose the best one. :)
It says "Mac OS Extended (journalført)" on format.

Do you have skype? It would be easier if you took control of my computer.

hashim.melo

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I hate WD drives. Those things are idiotic: they stall and disconnect even when you don't ask them to on a Mac. I've had much better success with Maxtors, the LaCie drives, and (gag) the overpriced Mac time machine drives.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
sell the mac

get the equivalent pc and an external hard drive

watch a youtube vid on a diffrent pc on how to install IOS on a pc.

i'm not trolling. people who know a thing or two about pc's will highly value that decision

CaesarCod

Mar 13, 2008
If you want to write to/from NTFS External Drives on your mac in the past i have used an app called NTFS-3G which mounts the NTFS drive as an NTFS file system that is editable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)