Exodus of Italian Players (2 Viewers)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
If the purpose of article is to suggest Serie A lost its non-debatable status of THE league for attracting stars than he is spot on. I mean in mid 90s, Stoichkov joined Parma from Barca to try his luck in Serie A. And in fairness, Parma was probably better team than Barca, and Barca would probably have struggled finish top 5 in Serie A judging by their performance against Samp and Milan in CL finals.

But comparing such standard is just absurd, because the level of Serie A during late 80s to early 90s were simply absurd from historical perspective in any league. And it ignores the fact that those days you had 3 foreigner rule, so most good Italians found day way into Juve, Inter, Milan, Lazio, Parma, Roma, Sampdoria or Napoli. I mean Rambaudi (though he was good player), Gottardi, Statuto, Petruzzi, Melli, Marocchi, Orlando playing for Lazio, Roma, Parma & Juve? Not a chance.

Trying to implicate current exodus to Calciopoli really put me off with this article. It basically looses the whole point as to why players are moving. Obviously, money is good. But I am sure not of these pros would rather stay in Italia and play for big teams for less money; well most of them anyway since likes of Lucarelli are really fierce sportsmen. The reason why they are leaving is because there arent enough space for them in big Italian teams. Inter is doing their best to live up to their name. Iaquinta is an only noticable Italian bought by Juve. Well under Crap, Juve had only 4 Italians starting in the team, one of which is a converted Argentinian. The second big reason is the growing discrepancies between the teams. Parma, Lazio and Fiorentina are only in the position where they are because they tried to break the balance of the league. But there can only be a one winner, and if everybody spends, then there i bound to be a looser. So as I have before, the competitiveness of Italian league was probably inflated by so called "irrational exuberance" between teams well before 2000, and so bound to be revert to normal mean. I suspect current standard in terms of parity is probably below the norm, which means, Serie A should be more competitive in any case bar tragic mis-management. And lastly, the writer grossly ignores the wealth of young talent in the Italian game. Bianchi might have left, but I mean, its not as if Bianchi was the hottest Italian striking prospect. The best young Italians are already playing for big teams. Aquilani, Pazzini, Montolivo, Chiellini, Palladino, Andreolli, Nocerino are all booked by big teams. What is the point of paying Lucarelli, De Ascentis, Donato etc when you got cheaper, and financially more attractie assets already in your team? They are good players no doubt, but playing for big team requires a luck as much as talent.

I think the prospect of Serie A is surprisingly good despite all this doom and gloom. Firstly, the quality of product, which is football, isnt too bad, with many excellent youngsters coming through the way. Secondly, most badly managed teams have changed management, and already seeing the benefit of such change. Fiorentina is going to challenge Lo Scudetto in 2 years time. Lazio has got some solid team. Napoli, I think, had outstanding Mercato campaign. Torino got a real jewel in Rosina. And obviously there is Juve. Beside, what is the point of giving likes of West-Ham like 70-80m so they can buy pass the sale out date Ljunberg? Young players will suffer, and I think that was evident in 2:2 draw in U21 between Italia and England. Despite the result, it was blatantly clear, Italian was far superior team in virtually aspects. If you see the line-up most Italian players have been playing regular games week in and week out, bar Andreolli, GK, and Rossi. Surprise Surprise, one plays for :shocked: Inter, and the other plays in EPL with ManUre.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #22
    Serie A tries to win back supporters but stars flee violence

A year on from that marvellous summer of World Cup victory in Germany and very little has changed: Italian domestic football is still in a desperately poor shape. The new Serie A season kicks off this weekend, but several top players have fled the country, while the clubs are struggling with financial difficulties, low attendances and violent supporters.

Ten years ago the world's best players wanted to play in Italy, but nowadays it seems to be one-way traffic in the other direction. Rolando Bianchi, Valeri Bojinov and Sulley Muntari have all moved to the Premier League. Luca Toni opted for Germany, Giuseppe Rossi for Spain, Fabio Grosso for France, Cristiano Lucarelli for Ukraine and the under-21 striker Graziano Pelle for, er, AZ Alkmaar in Holland.

Pelle was so disillusioned by the state of Italian football that it seemed he would play anywhere else in the world apart from his own country. 'I was really tired of our football,' he said. 'What happened at Catania [when a police officer was killed after a derby against Palermo in February] made me reflect on things. In Italy there is too much violence, inside and outside the stadiums.

'Is it normal that when a team struggles its players get assaulted by the fans? No, it isn't. It would be like me going to a restaurant and punching the chef in the face because I didn't like the meal. And I don't do that. We also had the Calciopoli [match-fixing] scandal, with the loss of credibility that meant. I felt I needed a change.'

Toni is loving life at Bayern Munich. 'Things are so much calmer here in Germany. We beat Bremen away the other week, but their fans still applauded the team, and when we walked to the team bus they applauded us as well. There was no violence. It was a party for everyone. Beautiful.'

A survey in La Repubblica last week showed that eight out of 10 football supporters in Italy fear there might be violence when they attend a game. That is a frighteningly high figure. Season-ticket sales are slightly up on last season, but that is partly because the 2006-07 figures were so poor and also because teams such as Genoa and Napoli, with their huge fan bases, are back in Serie A. Atalanta have sold just over 4,000 season tickets, Cagliari are on 3,500 and so are Empoli.

Amid all the gloom, however, there is some hope. The head of the Italian league, Antonio Matarrese, said last week the league is 'working on bringing two million people back to football'. 'We want to improve the security at the stadiums. We want to have stewards at the grounds and I have told the parliament that as well. We have to be united to move forward and I hope we are. I think our football is coming out of its crisis,' he said.

There will be some very good football played - and Serie A is the home of the European champions, Milan - but one thing is clear: restoring the credibility of Italian football will take a long time. It is difficult to disagree with the former Italy striker Gianni Rivera who, when asked if he thought Italian football had learned its lessons after the Calciopoli scandal, answered: 'I hope so, but, to be frank, I don't think so.'

The Observer

Marc

Softcore Juventino
    Jul 14, 2006
    I am actually glad to see some Italians playing abroad. This may determine if they really are that good or they are only good in their home country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)