Ex Juve player : Alex (Now in Santos) (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2003
Hi guys (and girls)
I just found this article on this defender named Alex, and he was once ours, I didn't know that..

Santos strongman set to add weight to Brazil's defence

The announcement of Brazil's squad for the opening WC qualifiers was eagerly awaited at Santos. But while the likes of Diego and Renato were included, centre-back Alex was overlooked. For the time beaing at least, national coach Carlos Alberto Parreira appears to want to stick with experienced players at the back, though Alex is more than staking his claim every week with his club side.

Even at 21, the defender is the ehaviest outfrield player in Brazilian football, and has more than pulled his weight in the seaside club's remarkable recent run of success. His awesome strength and surprising speed are fundamental. As Santos winger Robinho said after facing Alex in training : "It's not easy to get past The Ox." The burly beast of burden also makes an attacking contribution, providing an aerial threat at set pieces and often getting on the scoresheet with fearsome long range free kicks.

The attacking bias in the Santos midfield means that Alex has frequently been left exposed- a design fault Santos got away with until meeting Boca Juniors in this year's Libertadores Cup Final. Slack passing out of defence, lapses of concentration, the odd cumbersome lunge- his flaws were ruthlessly exposed by canny Boca coach Carlos Bianchi.

But Alex has responded in style. He had an excellent Gold Cup with Brazil's under 23s, looking rock solid behind a midfield with a more defensive leaning. And he carried his form into the Brazilian championship, where a glance at the Santos goals against column- just 31 in 29 games- helps explain why a second consecutive title is a possibility.

A place in next year's Olympic team seems assured. But maybe even before that the Santos strongman will be holding up Brazil's opponents in World Cup qualifiers.

Fact File:
Club : Santos
Bron : June 17, 1982
Previous club : Juventus (Sao Paulo)
Homours : Brazilian Championship 2002

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
sallyinzaghi
Aug 1, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    i dont think they would've mixed up juventus and juventude, i mean, i know theres a club called juventude, but i dont think they made a mistake.. oh well i'll check :angel:

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++
    if we're looking for a defense-minded defender(this only happens in brazil, people) why not go for an italian. a lot cheaper it'll be.
    Do you know any giant, quick italians with good passing and leathal long range shooting?

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by kaizer ] ++
    milan is getting that alex u're talking about.....
    I doubt it. why woudl they purchase another defender when they already have the three best in the world: Maldini, Nesta, and Costacutra. ;)

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++

I doubt it. why woudl they purchase another defender when they already have the three best in the world: Maldini, Nesta, and Costacutra. ;)
    actually, two of the three you mentioned are ageing, milan needs fresh blood.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Gandalf ] ++
    actually, two of the three you mentioned are ageing, milan needs fresh blood.
    That was a joke of sorts. I don't think that Nesta, Maldini or Costacurta are among the world's top three. And I certainly think that Milan is in desperate need of reinforcement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)