European affairs (4 Viewers)

loyada

Feb 6, 2005
Yeah I understand that. From a populistic point of view you’re like ‘fuck yeah, send them away’, from a humanistic pov everything changes. I think those policies are made to have a shocking effect, the UK won’t described as heaven anymore if you know that you’re possibly on the next flight to Rwanda.

It also doesn’t show a lot of respect to a certain country to just migrate in the hundreds of thousands without any documents and just expect that everything will somehow work out for you.

If anything it shows how important foreign investments are as long as the receiving country isn’t corrupt
Once upon a time, it worked out very well for the British, they migrated in thousands to a land where people walk upside down :grin::grin:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Labour will win even if Krusty the Clown is leader as there are realistically only two parties and Tories' time is up (for this cycle at least).

Reform will fill the right wing niche for some people and inevitably do a bit of damage as Labour are also thoroughly unimpressive. Because of this you might see a few of the smaller parties do ok for seats. Lib Dems will finish their usual distant third.
SNP have been third, lib dems will be zero again

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Officially yes, but I suppose in my mind I don't consider them as they only contest Scottish seats and have no prospect of winning a GE.
Regardless they are the 3rd largest party in the UK by membership and by number of current seats. They'll lose significant ground to Labour imo but they'll still be 3rd in the commons.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I understand that. From a populistic point of view you’re like ‘fuck yeah, send them away’, from a humanistic pov everything changes. I think those policies are made to have a shocking effect, the UK won’t described as heaven anymore if you know that you’re possibly on the next flight to Rwanda.

It also doesn’t show a lot of respect to a certain country to just migrate in the hundreds of thousands without any documents and just expect that everything will somehow work out for you.

If anything it shows how important foreign investments are as long as the receiving country isn’t corrupt
It's ostensibly a deterrent like you describe, but imo it started as a 'red meat' policy in other words signalling to the further right elements of the tory party so as to keep them from voting for a more extreme party.

Unfortunately for Sunak he needs those votes so badly that he's having to double down on a patently absurd (expensive also) idea and publically defend it. He's inherited the populist mess left in the wake of Johnson and Truss and he doesn't have the charisma required to fix it.

It goes to show how little actual power party leaders and prime ministers really have (which is a good thing imo)

- - - Updated - - -

@U Picciriddu how are things looking after the PVV win?

Last edited:
OP
U Picciriddu
Jun 16, 2020
  • Thread Starter #74
    Regardless they are the 3rd largest party in the UK by membership and by number of current seats. They'll lose significant ground to Labour imo but they'll still be 3rd in the commons.

- - - Updated - - -

It's ostensibly a deterrent like you describe, but imo it started as a 'red meat' policy in other words signalling to the further right elements of the tory party so as to keep them from voting for a more extreme party.

Unfortunately for Sunak he needs those votes so badly that he's having to double down on a patently absurd (expensive also) idea and publically defend it. He's inherited the populist mess left in the wake of Johnson and Truss and he doesn't have the charisma required to fix it.

It goes to show how little actual power party leaders and prime ministers really have (which is a good thing imo)

- - - Updated - - -

@U Picciriddu how are things looking after the PVV win?
    Wilders won’t become president, but his party will govern and they’re still in the process of formation. We don’t know who will become the president as of now.

Is formation fails and if we’ll get new elections (what I don’t expect) Wilders will have a historic victory, he’s at 50 of the 75 seats now in the polls.

Huge shift to the right for the Netherlands, perfectly in line with the rest of the Western world I guess.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
    Mar 13, 2011
    Wilders won’t become president, but his party will govern and they’re still in the process of formation. We don’t know who will become the president as of now.

Is formation fails and if we’ll get new elections (what I don’t expect) Wilders will have a historic victory, he’s at 50 of the 75 seats now in the polls.

Huge shift to the right for the Netherlands, perfectly in line with the rest of the Western world I guess.
    Oh so the trend to the right has intensified in the time since the election?

OP
    U Picciriddu
    Jun 16, 2020
  • Thread Starter #76
    Oh so the trend to the right has intensified in the time since the election?
    Yes, partly due to the NSC (center-right) doing stupid things during the formation which scared people off.

The PVV didn’t miraculously became big because everyone here somehow got racist. It’s due to the other parties just destroying the voters confidence in the past ~6 years. I know perfectly rational and intelligent people who went for PVV just because all the previous options destroyed the voters confidence in them.

We can only guess what it will mean for the bigger global picture.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)