Euro2004: Holland - Latvia (group D) (1 Viewer)

wong ka yan

Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Freddy ] ++
Well...it's not an easy game...Maybe Latvia can do something and I am only saying "Maybe"
latvia want to win that game so their defence is worse than the first and the second match..............:down:

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
I'm not even watching. We're out anyway.
Germany were only drawing that last I saw (1-1), while the Dutch are 2-0 up. I'm not watching because I'm programming at college (deadline approaching!!), but I think the second string Czechs have a chance against the Germans - they're fresher, and the German first team isn't that great anyway. Don't give up. (Though I can see where you're coming from - Holland just love to disappoint their fans).

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
OK - I watched still and now I'm thankful that I did!

We're actually through :extatic: Be it with incredible luck and effort but we're through!!!! :strong:

New round, new chances. But to tell you the truth, I reckon Germany deserved to go through too. Though I thank them for not finishing the job :angel:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
WOOHOOO HOLLAND ARE THROUGH :party:

Congratulations Erik ;)

I knew Makaay would score when he came on, what a champion.

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
HOLLAND ARE THROUGH!!!

c'mon erik, germany didn't deserve to qualify...they can't beat the 2nd line-up czech team, what did you expect them to do in q-finals?

CONGRATS ANYWAY :thumb:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Well I was talking about the match Holland-Germany when there was only very little between both teams.

You know, the funny part is that its usually us who self destruct and the Germans who can take advantage of that...

Some weird twist in the universe tonight :D

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
holland - germany was the only match germany played well..against latvia and czech they played crap..with that game germans couldn't do more.

Group D - June 23 (19.45)
Holland 3 - 0 Latvia
van Nistelrooy pen 27, 35 (H), Makaay 84 (H)
Braga (Municipal)

Ruud van Nistelrooy's brace, coupled with Germany's defeat, have ensured Holland enter the quarter-finals with their first win of the tournament.

The pedigree of these two sides could not have been more different, yet going into the final game of Group D they both had one point in the table and a chance of qualifying for the quarter-finals. However, both would be eliminated if Germany beat a second-string Czech Republic.

The Dutch had an aggressive start to the match and Clarence Seedorf drilled a long-range effort over the bar, but Latvia proved once again their danger on the counter-attack as Maris Verpakovskis struck the side-netting.

The pressure increased and Aleksandrs Kolinko was forced into an extraordinary save on Philip Cocu's piledriver, but Ruud van Nistelrooy then fired a great opportunity straight at the goalkeeper.

There was controversy soon after, as Inter's Andy van der Meyde was brought down in the box, but the referee waved play on. Kim Milton Nielsen pointed straight to the spot when Edgar Davids fell in the penalty area, although the contact with Vitalis Astafjevs seemed to be minimal at best, and van Nistelrooy stepped up to successfully convert the penalty to Kolinko's left.

Latvia were pinned back into their own half and it was no surprise when the Manchester United star netted Holland's second with a free header from six yards, once Cocu had turned a Seedorf free kick back across the face of goal.

van Nistelrooy was on a hat-trick, but turned one good opportunity wide and fired the other on to the goalkeeper's torso.

Latvia were more adventurous in the second half and within two minutes of the restart Edwin van der Sar flew across the face of goal to palm out a Andrejs Rubins drive from the edge of the box.

Rubins then saw another effort deflected out by Jaap Stam, while on the resulting corner kick Valentins Lobanovs skimmed the upright.

Yet van Nistelrooy could have netted his third, only to scuff the ball from close range and incredibly turn it over the crossbar. Kolink spilled Arjen Robben's low drive and Igor Stepanovs rushed in to clear the danger.

Kolinko continued his personal battle with van Nistelrooy, parrying his powerful angled drive and van der Meyde's follow-up.

The Premiership hero was not given the opportunity to complete his hat-trick, as he made way for Roy Makaay. He carried on where van Nistelrooy had left off, as Kolinko was crucial on a Coco free kick and Makaay's follow-up.

Makaay made his mark in the closing minutes, as he cleverly cut across a defender on Robben's pass and rifled home from just inside the box.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holland: van der Sar; Reiziger, de Boer, Stam, van Bronckhorst; Seedorf, Davids (Sneijder 77), Cocu; van der Meyde (Overmars 63), van Nistelrooy (Makaay 70), Robben

Latvia: Kolinko; Isakovs, Stepanovs, Zemlinskis, Blagonadezdins; Bleidelis, Lobanovs, Astafjevs, Rubins; Prohorenkovs (Laizans 74), Verpakovskis (Pahars 63)

Ref: Nielsen (Den)

==========

Football Italia

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
ah well.. i was hoping another giant of football would go out to make italys going out look even less embarrisng..

And yes germany is a football giant, but not a good one ;)

well anyway, congrats holland. Its germanys fault once again, if germany would of beaten latvia holland would of never seen the light of day. But well done holland :thumb: After that quality football against the czechs, that was good enuff to go through. Heheh, holland will still keep advoocat.. the death of the dutch in the end :devil:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by blackmint ] ++
Heheh, holland will still keep advoocat.. the death of the dutch in the end :devil:
As sick as that comment was, I shall dignify it with an answer still: Advocaat has announced he will resign after Euro2004 no matter what the outcome.

Thank you, come again.

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

As sick as that comment was, I shall dignify it with an answer still: Advocaat has announced he will resign after Euro2004 no matter what the outcome.

Thank you, come again.
It wasnt meant like that mate!:frown:! sorry for any misunderstanding. I just think advoocat is a rubbish coach, and if holland would of kept him, that would of been effectively, blocking trophys.

sorry!!:)

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Freddy ] ++
A good game by Holland...IMO they won easily

Congrats to them and hopefully they will kick Sweden OUT
yay. lets kick them out. all they need to do is block larsson and ibrahimovic and dont forget liumberg and svensson

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
Congratulations Erik, the spirit boost again!:D;)

I saw Germany v Czech, a lot of chances for germany but poor finishing, I see that Kuranyi is not really good at this tournament, dunno why.
Ballack once again proved that he's the leader but unfortunately his goal couldn't save the team.
I'm sorry Basti, don't be sad, see you in 2006 ok!:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)