Not open for further replies.
OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #125
    HOLLAND

IN ----> Paul Bosvelt (Manchester City, England)
    OUT --> Mark van Bommel (PSV Eindhoven)

Van Bommel's ankle injury won't heal on time, doctors declared today.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++

not any more.he's gone for therapy and recovered.

don't know why he ain't in the squad,he's brilliant.
    Well, probably because he has not been playing very much with Bayern because of his depression treatment.

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #135
    VAN DER VAART - KLUIVERT - VAN NISTELROOY?

Patrick Kluivert and Ruud van Nistelrooy will be the attacking duo in the Dutch squad on Euro2004 and they will be supplied with passes from the flanks by Andy van der Meyde and Rafael van der Vaart. Well, that's the scenario based on the official shirt numbers that were published today by Netherlands coach Advocaat anyway.

Advocaat sent a list of 23 players to UEFA earlier this week. Of course, the shirt numbers aren't a guarantee of who has earned himself a starting position and who hasn't, but they are still a good indicator of the plans of Advocaat.

Based on these numbers, Edwin van der Sar is in goal and the defense will be made up by (from right to left) Michael Reiziger, Jaap Stam, Wilfred Bouma and Giovanni van Bronckhorst.

Philip Cocu has been re-upgraded to midfield player again, he receives the number 6. Edgar Davids is also a starter, with number 8.

Andy van der Meyde (7) and Rafael van der Vaart (11) will be supplying the strikers from the flanks. A remarkable selection, seeing as Advocaat lately stated the Internazionale player had had a "terrible season."

And up front, remarkably, Patrick Kluivert and Ruud van Nistelrooy. There is apparently no room in the starting XI for Wesley Sneijder (14), Clarence Seedorf (20) and Roy Makaay (12).

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Wow, thats big news Erik. I thought for sure Sneijder would have a starting role after his great performances for club and country. Kluivert is starting!!!??? That really surprises me. I thought that the RVN - Kluivert pairing was a disaster that would never be tried again! I am not sure if it will work now.

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #138
    This just in: for the final exhibition match on Saturday against the Irish, Advocaat will start with Van Nistelrooy and Makaay. Apparently he's not satisfied as yet and feels he should try out some different styles.

Personally I hope he'll dump Van Nistelrooy. Kluivert and Van der Vaart are great together and Holland need need a forward, not a striker who's just sitting there, on the edge of off-side.

Judging from the traininig, the line-up against the Irish will probably look like this: Van der Sar; Reiziger, Heitinga (Stam is rested), Bouma, Van Bronckhorst; Sneijder, Cocu, Van der Vaart, Davids; Van Nistelrooy, Makaay.

That's only two changes with the team that would be fielded based on the shirt numbers. I suspect this could actually be the final team Advocaat could go with :undecide:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)