Euro 2024 General Discussion Thread (63 Viewers)

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
France favourites for sure. Germany and England up there…. The latter having a more talented squad but its England and they are cursed…. Germany home nation advantage.

Italy might get eliminated in the group stage unless they can nick a point off Spain or Croatia who are both stronger

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
France favourites for sure. Germany and England up there…. The latter having a more talented squad but its England and they are cursed…. Germany home nation advantage.

Italy might get eliminated in the group stage unless they can nick a point off Spain or Croatia who are both stronger
I'm not convinced that Croatia are currently stronger, maybe about the same. It's a very old squad in the attacking areas. That experience will be crucial but I feel like they are one cycle past their peak and are building from a strong defence forward. This feels a bit like a final hurrah for several Croatian players to me.

Any result between those two teams wouldn't be a surprise to me. Whereas I suspect Italy would be happy with drawing against Spain. And they will make hard work of Albania.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Who do we have winning? Favorite Teams? Who do you Despise? Line-Ups? Sexy Kits? Hansumness? It's all here!
I think Albania will surprise a lot of people, they will get a win in the group and it might be enough to make it to the next round.

overall, Germany and France for serious contenders

mjromeo81

Aug 29, 2022
The home tournament curse is real. France choked in Paris (2016) and England stumbled in London (2020/21). A host nation haven't lifted the Euro trophy in 40 years!

In international football it's usually the best defences that go the distance. With limited prep time, managers can't install advanced attacking systems. Instead, teams stay compact and try to play on the counter.

Tournaments are won by cohesive groups/squads, not by individuals. Unity and belief within the team are essential. But in terms of moments of individual brilliance, always remember that the game is played between the box but is decided inside the box. Good GKs are incredibly valuable.

A bad manager can derail even the most talented squad. Sometimes, the biggest opponent is on your own bench.

Let's not forget that 4 out of 6 third-place teams will qualify for the R16.

My group stage predictions (in finishing order):

Group A: Germany, Switzerland, Hungary, Scotland
Group B: Spain, Italy, Croatia, Albania
Group C: England, Serbia, Slovenia, Denmark
Group D: France, Netherlands, Austria, Poland
Group E: Belgium, Ukraine, Slovakia, Romania
Group F: Portugal, Turkiye, Czechia, Georgia

Third-place teams point ranking:
1. Croatia
2. Hungary
3. Czechia
4. Austria
5. Slovenia
6. Slovakia

R16:
1. GERMANY vs Serbia
2. ITALY vs Switzerland
3. SPAIN vs Austria
4. ENGLAND vs Czechia
5. PORTUGAL vs Croatia
6. UKRAINE vs Netherlands
7. BELGIUM vs Hungary
8. FRANCE vs Turkiye

QF:
1. GERMANY vs Spain
2. PORTUGAL vs Ukraine
3. FRANCE vs Belgium
4. ENGLAND vs Italy

SF:
1. GERMANY vs Portugal
2. FRANCE vs England

Final:
1. FRANCE vs Germany

Golden Boot: Cristiano Ronaldo (if Portugal win Group F, they don't play another group winner until the Semi Final).

Best Player: Kylian Mbappe (If they win the final, he will win this award regardless).

Best Kit: France. Seriously - how large is that fucking COCK!!! It's enormous! :D

This tournament is wide open. I don't think there is a clear favourite at all.

England's defence is complete dogshit. Maguire & Stones...if England win the tournament they should build a statue for Declan Rice because he has a massive job. Who will start next to him? Mainoo is young and raw as fuck but very dynamic player. I reckon Southgate will start Conor Gallagher. Speaking of Southgate, he is a liability.

Germany have really turned a corner the last 6 months under Julian Nagelsmann. Nagelsmann has selected on form and was not afraid to leave out big names from the biggest German clubs (there is no Leon Goretzka or Serge Gnabry from Bayern, no Mats Hummels, Julian Brandt, Niklas Sule or Emre Can from Borussia Dortmund). The Bayer Leverkusen additions of Jonathan Tah, Florian Wirtz, Robert Andrich inject some real quality. Gundogan had an excellent season, and he is still one of the best players in the world playing the ball between the lines. Germany will create lots of attacking chances but will be relying on Kai Havertz to finish as a false 9 (and I don't like Havertz despite his performances for Arsenal).

I'm not sure what to expect for Spain. Their manager De La Fuente isn't proven at this level. They have a LOT of young players. I feel they will be relying on Morty to score goals. He has been consistent for Spain (and is captain), but he has his own limitations...

France? They are arrogant. Deschamps has only picked 25 players (when allowed to select 26). The whole situation with Kylian is a distraction. Saliba will probably start on the bench (I reckon he is their best defender). They lack creativity in midfield if Tchouameni is injured. Griezmann will have to again do the dirty work and link up play. What can we expect from Rabiot? Yes there is enough talent for two squads, but if you actually look at their best XI, it isn't head and shoulders above anyone else.

Portugal? Roberto Martinez is a fraud. Fucked up with Belgium's "golden generation" and he will find a way to fuck it up again with Portugal.

Italy? I get the feeling that the current sentiment is this Euro is nothing more than a tuning and diagnostic exercise for the next World Cup - the start of a new cycle. While a prolific striker would be welcome (I'm not sold on Scamacca), the lack of one didn’t stop us winning the last tournament. A greater issue is the absence from the tournament of the injured Berardi and the poor season of Chiesa who has looked a shadow of the player who lit up the latter stages of Euro 2020. Spalletti has a lot to sort out. Overall, this is a team in transition and, as was the case at Euro 2016 when Antonio Conte was in charge, the principal strength has to be the coaching.

Fingers crossed that the Azzurri can navigate the group stage and get lucky in the knockouts but I don't have much hope.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
There will always be at least one unfancied team making the last 4.

Hungary had a pretty solid qualifying campaign. I wonder if they could make a solid dent in this tournament with some lucky draws going their way...

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
There will always be at least one unfancied team making the last 4.

Hungary had a pretty solid qualifying campaign. I wonder if they could make a solid dent in this tournament with some lucky draws going their way...
Hungary is a pretty bad example imo they have not been good at all, but I can see a Balkan team doing it.

Nejc

May 13, 2006
Group C: England, Serbia, Slovenia, Denmark
The only way Slovenia finished ahead of anyone is if we jihadball all three games to a draw and the other games somehow all go the “right” way. Serbia could choke and England might be through already on the last round but Denmark outplayed us 2 times in the qualifiers.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Nothing about Portugal? Anyone?
that's a strong squad indeed

these competitions are often about form, team spirit and dedication though. way too many favorites bite the dust early, a few underdogs always emerge, wc's or euros are often full of unpredictable elements

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 62)