Euro 2020 - General Talk Thread (26 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
This is also why they were determined to beat Denmark by any means.
The rest were invaded by British tourists.

I'm so fucking nervous
But even if we do lose... At least we are Italian and not English
An England win will also be a public health disaster. And if it becomes enough of a Covid Chernobyl, the rest of Europe might get a reprieve this summer if they have to shut down a lot of their air travel.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
It is just tribalism mixed with alcohol. These are not smart people. It's the working class sport and they follow what each other do like lemmings. They started booing taking the knee. They'd probably boo if some child cancer survivor came onto the field. Tbh some of them are probably doing it out of superstition now. I've seen all sorts in the past two weeks.

Still think it's better than some rugby games I've been to where middle class people politely applaud when the opposition team score a good try.

That shit won't work in their favour when they do it Italy.
Rugby is a middle class sport in England? I had no idea.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Nonsense. I don't remeber the UK ever invading Romania or any of our 4 regions prior to 1859.
Yeah, hasn't happened. Maybe during the Crimean War there might have been British soldiers on what is now Romanian territory, but it was no invasion. I think the graphic includes countries who at one time have technically been at war with Britain (as Romania was for part of WWII).

Also a lot of the time countries were not invaded, Britain would set up trade posts and routes and then protect them with chartered companies on behalf of the Crown. They would create partnerships with local rulers and businessmen and once the foot was in the door the country would then be strategic militarily to protect their interests. Imperialism hasn't disappeared, today it exists through cultural, economic and political influence, there is no need for boots on the ground.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Rugby is a middle class sport in England? I had no idea.
Rugby union is. Tends to be played and followed by middle class people from central and southern England, with some exceptions. The phrase "a sport for thugs, played by gentlemen" gives some insight to union's background.

Rugby league on the other hand is very working class, has a smaller following, mostly people from northern England (Lancashire and Yorkshire) follow and play it.

In Wales union is the national sport so has no class divide. Scotland is more in line with England, however. This graphic is fairly accurate on whether union is seen as a "posh" sport or not, or whether it has other biases:

posh1.png

With England doing well at the Euros you see more people who would ordinarily be interested in classic "middle class" sports like rugby or tennis, or even cricket, following the football team, right on the bandwagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 23)