Euro 2020 - General Talk Thread (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Macedonia was missing Kulusevski :agree:
Entertaining match. I'm so glad for Pandev. Qualifying for a EURO was an amazing success for a tiny nation and I'm glad that Pandev scored their first goal in a major event.

As for England-Croatia, I am not sure if Croatia was simply powerless or we were calculating way too much. Like I said before, winning the group is not good for Croatia (or anyone else) because the opponent will be the runner-up in France/Germany/Portugal group while coming second probably gets you Sweden, Poland, or Slovakia. I think it was a combination of being powerless and calculating way too much in an attempt to win a point, but not to win 3. It was England that disappointed today imo. They obviously wanted to win, but they showed way too little. I expect them to improve, tho.

Buy on AliExpress.com

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Macedonia was missing Kulusevski :agree:
Entertaining match. I'm so glad for Pandev. Qualifying for a EURO was an amazing success for a tiny nation and I'm glad that Pandev scored their first goal in a major event.

As for England-Croatia, I am not sure if Croatia was simply powerless or we were calculating way too much. Like I said before, winning the group is not good for Croatia (or anyone else) because the opponent will be the runner-up in France/Germany/Portugal group while coming second probably gets you Sweden, Poland, or Slovakia. I think it was a combination of being powerless and calculating way too much in an attempt to win a point, but not to win 3. It was England that disappointed today imo. They obviously wanted to win, but they showed way too little. I expect them to improve, tho.
That's absurd. Dumb structure imo. You should be drawing 1st or 2nd from the same group otherwise you end up with a comical situation where its massively beneficial to finish 2nd over first

On the bright side, England will win the group and be knocked out immediately in the next round

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
I was going to root for Netherlands today because of our boy MDL but seeing he’s not playing, screw them.

I’ll go back to my Shevchenko fanboyism and hope for a Ukraine win. Plus, the move with the map on the kits was ballsy so why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
You know i havent really paid much attention to this recently and maybe pandemic has affected this but i find it weird how so Italy plays all games in Rome. England all games in Wembley. Meanwhile France doesnt host a single game. Quite unfair disadvantages. Technically if England go all the way to final they are playing ALL games (apart from quarter final which is played in Rome, Munich, Saint Petersburg and Baku) in Wembley. (semis and final are in Wembley).

The tournament was supposed to be celebrating 60 years of the competition. I get the idea all over the continent. And its not like they changed it a lot cause of the pandemic (i know Cardiff was supposed to host some games/its in wales).

Modric just made the same point that England has unfair advantage in the competition: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57454982

I find it extremely odd how England, Italy, Netherlands and Germany play all their group games at home. But then France doesnt. And then some countries have to fly to Baku and then from Baku to Rome (switzerland for example). 3100 km. 5 hours flight. Pretty unfair.

Prior to the pandemic i would have thought this type of scenario.

Say the group with Portugal, France, Germany, Hungary:

Germany v France held in Lisboa
Portugal v France held in Munich
Germany v Portugal held in Paris

Last edited:

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
You know i havent really paid much attention to this recently and maybe pandemic has affected this but i find it weird how so Italy plays all games in Rome. England all games in Wembley. Meanwhile France doesnt host a single game. Quite unfair disadvantages. Technically if England go all the way to final they are playing ALL games (apart from quester final which is played in Rome, Munich, Saint Petersburg and Baku) in Wembley. (semis and final are in Wembely).

The tournament was supposed to be celebrating 60 years of the competition. I get the idea all over the continent. And its not like they changed it a lot cause of the pandemic (i know Cardiff was supposed to host some games/its in wales).

Modric just made the same point that England has unfair advantage in the competition: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57454982

I find it extremely odd how England, Italy, Netherlands and Germany play all their group games at home. But then France doesnt. And then some countries have to fly to Baku and then from Baku to Rome (switzerland for example). 3100 km. 5 hours flight. Pretty unfair.

France hosted the previous Euros. Stop crying.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
You know i havent really paid much attention to this recently and maybe pandemic has affected this but i find it weird how so Italy plays all games in Rome. England all games in Wembley. Meanwhile France doesnt host a single game. Quite unfair disadvantages. Technically if England go all the way to final they are playing ALL games (apart from quester final which is played in Rome, Munich, Saint Petersburg and Baku) in Wembley. (semis and final are in Wembely).

Doesn't make any sense to me either. It's not like Stadio Olimpico is some super special venue either, it's more of a relic of when Italian football was actually good.

- - - Updated - - -

That's absurd. Dumb structure imo. You should be drawing 1st or 2nd from the same group otherwise you end up with a comical situation where its massively beneficial to finish 2nd over first

On the bright side, England will win the group and be knocked out immediately in the next round
Let's fucking hope so.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
That's absurd. Dumb structure imo.
That structure is traditional when 24 teams play in a tournament. The World Cups from my childhood used to be like that.
When there are 24 teams in 6 groups and 16 of them go to the first knockout round, four group winners get a 3rd placed team, two winners get a runner up, and the remaining four runner-ups play each other. Here it just happened that England is in a group where the winner gets you a runner-up from the group of death.
Another possible solution is to go directly to the quarters, with all 6 group winners and the two best runner-ups making it from the groups. This would have made the groups more competitive, but I guess UEFA, as well as FIFA in 1986, 1990, and 1994, wanted those 8 additional knock-out matches for various reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)