Euro 2016 General Discussion Thread (21 Viewers)

Euro 2016 Outright Winner?

• France

• Spain

• Germany

• England

• Belgium

• Portugal

• Italy

• Croatia

• Austria

• Poland

• Switzerland

• Russia

• Turkey

• Ukraine

• Wales

• Sweden

• Ireland

• Iceland

• Czech Republic

• Romania

• Slovakia

• Northern Ireland

• Albania

• Hungary

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Belgium Coach Marco Wilmots criticised Italy for “counter-attacking and not playing real football” in a 2-0 result.

The Azzurri won the Euro 2016 opener with goals from Emanuele Giaccherini and Graziano Pellè in either half.

“This is a huge disappointment for the whole group,” Wilmots told reporters.

“In the first half-hour we allowed absolutely no chances and we created a few ourselves, albeit from distance. Then we made a small mistake in defence and Italy scored. The communication went wrong between Alderweireld and Ciman.

“You know it’s difficult to get back into the game then, especially against Italy because they have so much experience. We played a lot better after the break, though it was still not easy against the Juventus bloc in defence.

“We had some excellent scoring opportunities, but if you don’t take them at this level, then it becomes very difficult to get a result.”

Despite the 2-0 result, Wilmots was critical of Antonio Conte’s approach to the game.

“Italy specifically played on the counter-attack. They did not play real football and when faced with everyone sitting back, it becomes difficult.

“Now we must look ahead and focus on the next two games, as those are very important.”

Belgium are currently bottom of Group E, as Sweden and the Republic of Ireland drew 1-1.

:lol:

so butt hurt
What else is Italy supposed to do? Their forwards and midfielders are relatively poor compared to other teams and other tournaments. I would sit back and hit on the counter as well. Obviously the defense is strong and Conte is playing to their strengths. It's boring, but it's the only shot they got.

Do we have a @Seven statement yet
He wanted Italy to win, no? I thought he liked Azzurri.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
“Italy specifically played on the counter-attack. They did not play real football and when faced with everyone sitting back, it becomes difficult."
now imagine Conte would actually practice counter attacks :tuttosport:
Damn it, such potential wasted :tuttosport:

But Wilmots is spot on actually, if the opposite team sits back against them they obviously are doing something right

- - - Updated - - -

:ghey:
belgium still gonna win it. italy was the right wake up call at the right time.
They lost intentionally to win 2nd place to have the easier path to final :scared:

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
I'm loving how the majority of the worlds media are scratching their heads wondering how the amazing, fantastic, super-dooper mighty EPL based Belgium got their asses handed to them so badly last night? The hype machine of that pathetic league really has worked it seems.

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
but what he doesn't know is that Lewandowski is gonna put 3 past Neuer. @piotrr
yeahhhh.. :D

I'm loving how the majority of the worlds media are scratching their heads wondering how the amazing, fantastic, super-dooper mighty EPL based Belgium got their asses handed to them so badly last night? The hype machine of that pathetic league really has worked it seems.
It required an EPL coach Conte and EPL striker Pelle to sink Belgium. :stupid:

delpierofan82

Apr 24, 2005
Belgium Coach Marco Wilmots criticised Italy for “counter-attacking and not playing real football” in a 2-0 result.

“Italy specifically played on the counter-attack. They did not play real football and when faced with everyone sitting back, it becomes difficult.
So only attack is part of a 'real' football. Wilmots thinks that certain tactics are not a 'real' football :D

I wonder his opinion about the formation. What formation counts as a 'real' football from Wilmots' point of view :D

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
Awfull, just awfull.
Conte outclassed Wilmots on a tactical level (no surprise there) and Italy outclassed Belgium on the field.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone tell Wilmots that real football is not accomplished with Fellaini at CAM instead of De Bruyne.
And then tell him that, when lying behind that you don't substitute a striker for a striker but instead of a midfielder for an extra striker

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)