Euro 2004: The Tie-Breaker Rules (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I dunno if this deserves its own thread, but I thought it might be helpful

POINT SYSTEM :
Three points for a win, one point for a draw, and no points for defeat.

TIE-BREAKER RULES :
If two or more teams finish equal on points after all the group matches have been played, the following criteria will be applied to determine the ranking :

(a) Greater number of points obtained in the matches between the teams in question.
(b) Goal difference resulting from the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal).
(c) Greater number of goals scored in the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal).
(d) Goal difference in all the group matches.
(e) Greater number of goals scored in all the group matches.
(f) Coefficient of points from the last two qualifying competitions for the final rounds of the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004 (points gained and divided by the number of matches played).
(g) Fair Play conduct of the teams (final tournament).
(h) A drawing of lots by the Organising Committee.

There is no need to apply criteria (g) & (h) at this year's championship because the only teams with equal coefficient under criteria (f) are teams of England, Italy & Spain (ranked 5.) and then Denmark & Russia (ranked 11.) who were drawn into different groups anyway.

Ranking and coefficients for all 16 teams when applying criteria (f) :

1. 3.000 - France
2. 2.400 - Portugal
3. 2.389 - Sweden
4. 2.333 - Czech Republic
5. 2.313 - England
5. 2.313 - Italy
5. 2.313 - Spain
8. 2.188 - Germany
9. 2.167 - Holland
10. 2.125 - Croatia
11. 2.056 - Denmark
11. 2.056 - Russia
13. 1.889 - Bulgaria
14. 1.611 - Switzerland
15. 1.563 - Greece
16. 1.250 - Latvia

Criteria (a) to (h) above are not applicable under these circumstances :
If two teams meeting in one of the last group matches have the same number of points, the same goal difference and the same number of goals, and if this match stands at a draw at the end of normal time,then the ranking of these two teams will be determined by kicks from the penalty spot.
(note : UEFA Regulations for the European Football Championship 2004 do not explain what happens when there are 3 teams with the same number of points, the same goal difference and the same number of goals after all group matches ended and at the same time the result in the last group match between any 2 of these 3 teams is a draw - the Regulations are not clear on how is the ranking determined when 1 of the 3 teams is not taking part in the penalty shoot-out)

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    I never read up on that system, anyone wanna explain it for me briefly?

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    True, it's like having the stupid coin toss in the UCL

i'm just curious wtf is with the coefficients

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    I dunno if this deserves its own thread, but I thought it might be helpful

POINT SYSTEM :
    Three points for a win, one point for a draw, and no points for defeat.

TIE-BREAKER RULES :
    If two or more teams finish equal on points after all the group matches have been played, the following criteria will be applied to determine the ranking :

(a) Greater number of points obtained in the matches between the teams in question.
    (b) Goal difference resulting from the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal).
    (c) Greater number of goals scored in the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal).
    (d) Goal difference in all the group matches.
    (e) Greater number of goals scored in all the group matches.
    (f) Coefficient of points from the last two qualifying competitions for the final rounds of the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004 (points gained and divided by the number of matches played).
    (g) Fair Play conduct of the teams (final tournament).
    (h) A drawing of lots by the Organising Committee.

There is no need to apply criteria (g) & (h) at this year's championship because the only teams with equal coefficient under criteria (f) are teams of England, Italy & Spain (ranked 5.) and then Denmark & Russia (ranked 11.) who were drawn into different groups anyway.

Ranking and coefficients for all 16 teams when applying criteria (f) :

1. 3.000 - France
    2. 2.400 - Portugal
    3. 2.389 - Sweden
    4. 2.333 - Czech Republic
    5. 2.313 - England
    5. 2.313 - Italy
    5. 2.313 - Spain
    8. 2.188 - Germany
    9. 2.167 - Holland
    10. 2.125 - Croatia
    11. 2.056 - Denmark
    11. 2.056 - Russia
    13. 1.889 - Bulgaria
    14. 1.611 - Switzerland
    15. 1.563 - Greece
    16. 1.250 - Latvia

Criteria (a) to (h) above are not applicable under these circumstances :
    If two teams meeting in one of the last group matches have the same number of points, the same goal difference and the same number of goals, and if this match stands at a draw at the end of normal time,then the ranking of these two teams will be determined by kicks from the penalty spot.
    (note : UEFA Regulations for the European Football Championship 2004 do not explain what happens when there are 3 teams with the same number of points, the same goal difference and the same number of goals after all group matches ended and at the same time the result in the last group match between any 2 of these 3 teams is a draw - the Regulations are not clear on how is the ranking determined when 1 of the 3 teams is not taking part in the penalty shoot-out)

And all this is still better than coin toss, there was such rule previously, and I dont rememeber now when it happened, but coin toss decided about the winner in one of Euro finals.
    I need to look for sth about that.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    I never read up on that system, anyone wanna explain it for me briefly?
    They use it to calculate the number of CL and UEFAcup spots every competition receives at every season as well. Basically you're being held accountable for what you did in the past - makes it very hard for nations to fight their way up the table while the ones at the top have little trouble staying there.

I'm very against it.

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
    As I've mentioned in the Italy-Sweden thread, if Denmark and Sweden play 1-1 and italy won 2-0, we'll go down to (f), and I suppose Italy has the higher coefficient. But if Sweden and Denmark draw 2-2, both go through due to (b) - they have a better GD in common games than Italy.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
    Does it not just go by who has scored the most goals between the two teams in the group. Can someone now tell me how good of a chance Italy have to go through and the different ways that they can , please.

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Stevie11 ] ++
    Does it not just go by who has scored the most goals between the two teams in the group. Can someone now tell me how good of a chance Italy have to go through and the different ways that they can , please.

I'll just copy+paste from what I said at the other thread.

If there's a winner between Sweden and Denmark, Italy's through with a win over Bulgaria. A draw between Sweden and Denmark, and Italy needs to beat Bulgaria by more than two goals. A 1-1 draw between Sweden and Denmark and a 2-0 win for Italy would lead to them equal in every tie-breaker category:

Sweden 5 pts 7-2 (+5)
    Denmark 5 pts 3-1 (+2)
    Italy 5 pts 3-1 (+2)
    Bulgaria 0 pts 0-9 (-9)

Denmark & Italy would have to go through a tie-breaker.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Sarah ] ++

I'll just copy+paste from what I said at the other thread.

If there's a winner between Sweden and Denmark, Italy's through with a win over Bulgaria. A draw between Sweden and Denmark, and Italy needs to beat Bulgaria by more than two goals. A 1-1 draw between Sweden and Denmark and a 2-0 win for Italy would lead to them equal in every tie-breaker category:

Sweden 5 pts 7-2 (+5)
    Denmark 5 pts 3-1 (+2)
    Italy 5 pts 3-1 (+2)
    Bulgaria 0 pts 0-9 (-9)

Denmark & Italy would have to go through a tie-breaker.
    Thanks. :cool:

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
    2-2 between Sweden and Denmark then goodbye Gli Azzurri!

http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,14546,-4220341,00.html
    --------------------
    Euro-Italy out if Danes and Swedes draw 2-2
    By Paul Radford
    LISBON, June 18 (Reuters) - Italy face direct elimination from Euro 2004 whatever the result of their last match if Scandinavian rivals Denmark and Sweden play out a high-scoring draw of 2-2 or more in their final group game.
    If that happens, Sweden's late equaliser to earn a 1-1 draw with Italy on Thursday in Porto would have cost the Italians very dear indeed.
    The situation in Group C is complicated to say the least.
    At present Sweden and Denmark head the group with four points from two matches and Italy follow with two after drawing both of their games against the Scandinavians. Bulgaria, who lost to both, are already eliminated.
    If Italy beat Bulgaria, as expected, in Guimaraes on Tuesday and Sweden and Denmark draw the same day in Porto, all three would finish with five points.
    Under tournament rules, the results of the three teams against each other would then count -- so the matches against Bulgaria would not be taken into immediate consideration.
    This would leave all three teams on two points from the draws with each other. In such a case, the teams with the highest number of goals would then go through.
    Sweden would by now be certain to qualify because they had scored more goals against Italy in the 1-1 draw than Denmark did in their 0-0 tie.
    Italy's goals total would stay on one. If the Denmark- Sweden game finished 2-2, Denmark would have two goals for and Sweden three, both more than Italy. The same would apply with any higher scoring draw.
    If the match finished 0-0, Denmark would be eliminated as they would have no goals.
    But it gets really complicated with a 1-1 draw. Sweden would top the group with two goals and Italy and Denmark finish level with one. At this point the team with the best result against Bulgaria would qualify.
    The Danes beat Bulgaria 2-0 so Italy would have to do better in their last game.
    Can Italy rely on the Nordic teams not to make an unofficial pact to go for a 2-2 draw? Luckily for them, Scandinavians are renowned for their honesty.
    Of course, if Italy fail to beat Bulgaria, they would be eliminated anyway.
    On the other hand, if Sweden beat Denmark or vice versa, any win against Bulgaria would see Italy through.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)