Euro 2004: Spain vs Portugal (1 Viewer)

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
Tom and Hydde, you're not fans of Spanish team, arent you? :D

I was almost sure that Spain is gonna win that, all statistics were at their side.

I'm happy that Portugal won, I'm :lazy: that Spain is out: they always fail in big tournaments.

Nuno Gomes: EURO 2000 flash, then "lost in space", now: may be flash again :thumb:

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
very overrated. both of them are overrated.
In terms of Portugal's anticipated initial changes to win it, yes. They were a bit too generous with the whole home advantage/Golden Generation tag thing. Spain was overrated too, since they are always a team of outstanding players in search of team mediocrity.

But in terms of their Elo Ratings, for example:

(Europe - World - Team)

1 1 France
2 2 Spain
3 5 Czechia
4 6 Netherlands
5 7 England
5 7 Italy
7 9 Portugal
8 10 Germany

I'd say Spain is overrated, but Portugal is about right.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
Yes Yes Yes Spain is out! WTG Portugal! :kiss: Man, the game was tense especially the 2nd half. All those missed opportunities were causing my heart to almost stop. And it wasn't even Italy playing :D That Luque guy was really pissing me off, always getting ahead and being all dangerous :mad: :D I hope that Scolari will once and for always leave Pauleta on the bench from beginning!

Once again, well done to Portugal, only a few believed in them :)

Freddy

Feb 1, 2004
Spain is OUT...the mainreason for this is that Raul and Morientes were out of form in this tournments

Portugal did a very good game and could have scored more

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
As I said already; Spain, England and Germany will exit in the group stages.

Ronaldo was good, as was Maniche, and Ricardo Carvalho proved to any doubters that he is definitely capable of improving the Juve backline.

Raul, well, he just didn't turn up in Portugal which is unfortunate because he can be one of the best players in the world at times.

Joaquin was non-existent, and though Vicente tried today just wasn't Spain's day. I hardly noticed Xabi Alonso or David Albelda, while Juanito failed to impress.

Deco wasn't at his fluent best but still did some nice things.

Nuno Gomes' goal was brilliant. I'm hoping for more big things from him in the quarter finals, especially if Scolari's men face England :devil:

Well done, Portugal :thumb: Congrats.

River

Jun 15, 2004
Yea Ronaldo finally is starting to get it. He is so much the better player when he dosent do all the unneccessary skills. He even did some stepovers today that actually were productive :D

Glad to see Portugal go through but they were not exactly that great in this game. And i fancy Englands chances of beating them should we go through and draw them :)

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++
Tom and Hydde, you're not fans of Spanish team, arent you? :D

I was almost sure that Spain is gonna win that, all statistics were at their side.

I'm happy that Portugal won, I'm :lazy: that Spain is out: they always fail in big tournaments.

Nuno Gomes: EURO 2000 flash, then "lost in space", now: may be flash again :thumb:

hehe to tell u the truth.. i dont have that antypathy for Sapin as a NT ...like the one i feel for clubs like real madrid ;)

To tell u the truth.. i really was interested in which team could go thrugh.... well maybe i was cheering doe portugal a little more :D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
Glad to see Portugal go through but they were not exactly that great in this game. And i fancy Englands chances of beating them should we go through and draw them :)
I don't. ;) :D

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

I don't. ;) :D
I was waiting on you to disagree :D

Although i am biast. Portugal havent impressed me a great deal. They seem lazy and not that motivated to take the game. Against England that attitude wont work.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++

I was waiting on you to disagree :D

Although i am biast. Portugal havent impressed me a great deal. They seem lazy and not that motivated to take the game. Against England that attitude wont work.
Yeah, Portugal has never really impressed me in any International Tournament. Remember when my U.S. side beat them 3-2 in Korea? :D That was fantastic. But frankly, neither England or Portugal impress me, but I'd have to go with the latter. Ya know, thats the way it is. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)