[EU] Champions League 2007/2008 (116 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2007
I really don't know why people hate Ronaldo so much. Sure you can dislike him for being so good/on the opposite team, but saying that he deserves to have his ankle destroyed is just taking this to new levels.

Firstly, the English media argument is just bollocks. Really do not care what they have to say about him as red top papers are the only ones talked about. If you don't like it, read a site/paper which actually plants wisdom into your brain.

Ronaldo showboating and doing tricks is fine, like salman said, it is part of his game like saving is part of Buffons.

And if Ronaldo was doing what he does every week for Man Utd at Juventus, few of you would hate him as already said.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
You get to that level of play, humility is a sheer freak of nature. To differentiate yourself at that level of play where you have pretty much a level playing field in terms of physical abilities and training, it often comes down to the mental game. Players that are self-confident are going to succeed, the others are not.

Del Piero is a sheer freak of nature. He's the exception - few can walk the thin line between self-confidence and arrogance. The rule are the likes of CRon and, yes, even Ronaldinho. I mean, how can you not be totally full of yourself if you're making TV commercials of ridiculously accurate shots off a goal post?

Éver

Mar 1, 2008
Finally people who can actually agree and see past that stupid Man Utd 'hate'.

Instead of jumping on the Éver is a dumbass bandwagon and resorting to picking minor grammar out.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
You get to that level of play, humility is a sheer freak of nature. To differentiate yourself at that level of play where you have pretty much a level playing field in terms of physical abilities and training, it often comes down to the mental game. Players that are self-confident are going to succeed, the others are not.

Del Piero is a sheer freak of nature. He's the exception - few can walk the thin line between self-confidence and arrogance. The rule are the likes of CRon and, yes, even Ronaldinho. I mean, how can you not be totally full of yourself if you're making TV commercials of ridiculously accurate shots off a goal post?
I don't know where this is stemming from Greg, honestly. How is Ronaldinho unprofessional on or off the pitch? I've never seen an ounce of arrogance in the guy and I don't really care for what he does off the pitch because that's his business, nonetheless I've never heard anything negative about him off the pitch ala Adriano or anything.

As far as the commercial is concerned, how is that his 'fault'? (assuming it's wrong) Nike has people who come up with ideas for commercials and their players run with hit, what's wrong with that? The guy went from rags to riches and all this is a blessing to him.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I don't know where this is stemming from Greg, honestly. How is Ronaldinho unprofessional on or off the pitch? I've never seen an ounce of arrogance in the guy and I don't really care for what he does off the pitch because that's his business, nonetheless I've never heard anything negative about him off the pitch ala Adriano or anything.
Never meant to imply that he was unprofessional per se. Just that the guy, like many at his level, is more than a bit full of himself.

As far as the commercial is concerned, how is that his 'fault'? (assuming it's wrong) Nike has people who come up with ideas for commercials and their players run with hit, what's wrong with that? The guy went from rags to riches and all this is a blessing to him.
It's not "wrong" per se in any moral judgement kind of way. Was Muhammad Ali wrong for saying, "I am the greatest" -- even if it he probably was? No.

But for a guy like Ronaldinho to flaunt his talents in an international TV commercial to the extent where it's even comically exaggerated takes at least some arrogance about your own abilities. For example, you'd never see Del Piero making a commercial like that. The most we get out of DP is a comedic, helmet-wearing flip off of a ridiculous scooter. Nobody does playground trash-talking wearing a helmet (and an Italian, of all people) and driving a 50cc scooter.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Never meant to imply that he was unprofessional per se. Just that the guy, like many at his level, is more than a bit full of himself.

It's not "wrong" per se in any moral judgement kind of way. Was Muhammad Ali wrong for saying, "I am the greatest" -- even if it he probably was? No.
Has Ronaldinho ever said that though?

But for a guy like Ronaldinho to flaunt his talents in an international TV commercial to the extent where it's even comically exaggerated takes at least some arrogance about your own abilities. For example, you'd never see Del Piero making a commercial like that. The most we get out of DP is a comedic, helmet-wearing flip off of a ridiculous scooter.
I think you're looking way too much into it.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I think you're looking way too much into it.
I really don't see the line between a CRonaldo showboating step-over and a Ronaldinho goal-post-clanking commercial, to be honest. Both are staples of what makes sports "entertainment", and both are arguably public stages for athletes to brag that their Schweinsteiger is bigger than your Schweinsteiger.

Éver

Mar 1, 2008
Well I haven't heard anything of what you accuse him of doing so unless you have an article or something to back it up with I can assume otherwise.
It was all over the Spanish media, including pictures. Pretty well known in Spain, but if you don't read any of that stuff you might not know.

Also, he's been like this since his PSG and Grêmio days, its well known info.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
I really don't see the line between a CRonaldo showboating step-over and a Ronaldinho goal-post-clanking commercial, to be honest. Both are staples of what makes sports "entertainment", and both are arguably public stages for athletes to brag that their Schweinsteiger is bigger than your Schweinsteiger.
Let's agree to disagree then.

It was all over the Spanish media, including pictures. Pretty well known in Spain, but if you don't read any of that stuff you might not know.

Also, he's been like this since his PSG and Grêmio days, its well known info.
Fair enough. I still don't put him in the same category as C. Ronaldo. Mind you I actually like C. Ronaldo has a footballer.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Cristiano Ronaldo ... I really don't see much of a diff to discuss, really. All have been assclowns at some stage of their career. All have fallen on their faces in big matches in their careers. All have had pretty stellar careers overall.
I cant see how Ronaldo,Ronaldinho and C.Ronaldo can be used in the same sentence when it comes to arrogance.The former two arent arrogant by any means.If it comes down to the issue of 'People are jealous because C.Ronaldo is so good' then perhaps we should hate Ronaldinho and Ronaldo more as they have achieved more,and and are much bigger parts of footballing history than Christiano.But is that the case?No.

If some people hated C.Ronaldo,then perhaps you could bring it down to something.But this isnt some people.This is every other Non-ManUtd or Portugal fan in the world who hates him.

Im sorry but C Ronaldo's career,till now,has not been as stellar as the other two's..Its on the way up,but its definatley not comparable to what Ronaldo and Ronaldinho have achieved.He has all the potential to emulate everyone,but as things stand today,C.Ronaldo is a baby compared to what Ronaldinho and Ronaldo have achieived in their footballing careers.

Also,as things stand today,Ronaldo and Ronaldinho have shown brilliant performacnes in crunch games inifintley more than Ronaldo.I repeat,in 10 years time,Ronaldo might be at a different level,but presently,he just isnt in the same bracket as the other two players you mentioned when you take entire careers into account.

Ronaldinho is one of the most unprofessional players ever.
And Salman Rushdie is the president of Iran.

Seems that all of people here are agreed with you on this post Salman. I could be one of them, only if that wasn't YOU who is writing this comment since two of the players you love the most have the same character (the only difference is that they ain't at the same level C.Ronaldo is). So the reason you hate him ain't only his character. Yes, he's arrogant, but so is Zlatan and you still love him. So this is not the issue.

"Though to Zlatan's credit,he isnt a diver"?!
Though I'm not sure about it, I drop it and ask you a question. Being a DIVER is the reason which makes Ronaldo a disrespectful guy? You mean diving in the box to cheat the ref and to get a penalty kick is the reason you hate Ronaldo, but then again you still love Maradona despite the fact that he cheated the ref and scored that infamous goal (IMO) with his hand aka the God's hand? What's the difference here?

As another example; Messi scored the same (Maradona like) goal against Betis (I think), yet no one call him a faggot. You also should remember him diving against Chelsea which made the ref showed his red card to Del Horno, Yet he is a respectful guy in the people's opinion here. Just exchange the roles and imagine that was C.Ronaldo instead of Messi. I easily can guess what you'd call him.

C Ronaldo has had an absolutely amazing season so far. He's the most complete player I've seen after Zizou and he's by far the best player of this season. I bet you, Juv-rev, Red, Andy and maybe all the others here who hate him would die to see him in Juve's jersey. If he was a Juve player, you wouldn't mind his arrogance. So face the fact. You hate him because he is the BEST player of the team you hate THE MOST.

All in all, I agree with your post. I like the players who've got class. The ones who are respected by all. This is why I've always disliked likes of Zlatan, Totti, C Ronaldo, etc.
I was not comparing Zlatan or Ronaldo.I was merely replying to the term Bozi used.Also,you ignored the part where i said that both Zlatan and Ronaldo come from the same school of arrogance..but despite that,the former isnt a diver.Ronaldo's diving antics on the other hand,could win him an olympic gold medal.And no,diving isnt the only reason why i hate Ronaldo.

Comparing Ronaldo and Maradona is blasphemous.Maradona cheated,yes,but he was honest about it.Atleast he had the guts to admit that he used his hand.Have you heard the very last speech that Maradana made in his farewell match?He said something along the lines of 'Ive made mistakes,but the ball will always be clean'.That shows humility,and the balls to admit that you were at fault.Has Ronaldo ever admitted that he was at fault?Has he ever admitted that he dived or tricked a ref into having an opposition player sent off?No.Perhaps Ronaldo would develop it later on,but right now,the word isnt even a part of his dictionary.

Coming to Messi..yes he dived.But then again,he doesnt showboat as often as Ronaldo,which makes hating him a lot more difficult.Ronaldo has all the ingredients of being hated - Diving,arrogance,showboating..and yes,playing at the most loved,yet the most hated club in the world.And no,i dont hate Ronaldo so much because he's the best player at the club i hate the most.Had that been the case,i would have hated RVN,Beckham,Keane and Giggs back in the day..but i dont.On the contrary,i even like these players.

Finally,i have said this in the past and ill say it again.Id love Ronaldo at Juventus without thinking twice.The guy is the best player in the world right now.Also,it would be difficult to hate him as much as i do if he wore Juve's colors.But you also need to keep in mind that he might tone down at Juventus.The English and Manutd Hype is enough to give any player an inflated head.That has contributed to the attitude Ronaldo has.Had he been at any other club,his attitude might have been different.

Well i guess that is something we disagree on, but i will assume you see my point about the "god-complex" some of the great players have. I think as time wears on people will put that in the back of their minds and focus on the football.
Maybe.We'd have to wait and see in Ronaldo's case.I doubt if it'll happen,but lets see.

But for a guy like Ronaldinho to flaunt his talents in an international TV commercial to the extent where it's even comically exaggerated takes at least some arrogance about your own abilities. For example, you'd never see Del Piero making a commercial like that. The most we get out of DP is a comedic, helmet-wearing flip off of a ridiculous scooter. Nobody does playground trash-talking wearing a helmet (and an Italian, of all people) and driving a 50cc scooter.
A commercial?Come on.Perhaps going by this,Beckham is the most arrogant player of all time?.A commercial doesnt say anything about a player's humility.The level of arrogance that you talk about isnt what Ronaldinho would think of himself..its what the directors at Nike would think of him.Ronaldinho gets the paycheck,and does what he's asked to do.Like any other celebrity in the world.

Jun 13, 2007
C.Ronaldo doing his little tricks when his team are up 4-0 means he is disrespecting and ridiculing the opposition. Almost like he is making fun of them.

WHo is Ronaldinho disrespecting in that commercial? Is he making a fool out of anyone? He just does it because Nike has asked him to do so. He isn't cocky and arrogant, he just has a big smile and seems to love everyone. How can you even compare someone like Ronaldino ro C.Ronaldo is beyond me.

There is a big difference between what Ronaldinho and Ronaldo do. It's pretty obvious to me.

To me, when I see a guy with a nice attitude towards others like Ronaldinho, I wish him all the luck in the world. Let's just say it's a little different with C.Ronaldo.

I really don't know why people hate Ronaldo so much. Sure you can dislike him for being so good/on the opposite team, but saying that he deserves to have his ankle destroyed is just taking this to new levels.

Firstly, the English media argument is just bollocks. Really do not care what they have to say about him as red top papers are the only ones talked about. If you don't like it, read a site/paper which actually plants wisdom into your brain.

Ronaldo showboating and doing tricks is fine, like salman said, it is part of his game like saving is part of Buffons.

And if Ronaldo was doing what he does every week for Man Utd at Juventus, few of you would hate him as already said.
I don't need to read a paper to base my judgement on someone. I can actually think for myself believe it or not. I have seen him play for Man U and Portugal and the guy is an arrogant asshole. He's played what? 1 or 2 good seasons with Man U and suddenly he is god?

I don't dislike him because he is good, in case you haven't noticed. Juve haven't played Man U for a long time thus he isn't really costing us anything. No one has a problem with a few stepovers, sure it is a part of the game. Some players only know to play that way, Palladino is one of them, it's just a style. It's the antics he does every single game, his disgusting dives into the penalty area, the way he takes a penalty, the way he stands before a freekick which by the way is alone evidence of his homosexuality..Among many other things.

That last point is complete bulshit. We had someone just like him in our team, he goes by the name "Zlatan IhumpedmyfatherafterIfoundoutIwasgay movic". Despite him being our best player at a certain point. I hate his guts, I savoured the moment he left Juve. His arrogant egotistic attitude was not at all admirable. If Ronaldo was at Juve, I would feel the same way about him.

Éver

Mar 1, 2008
So when Ronaldinho does his little tricks when Barça are winning I guess you hate that too?

All bullshit anyway, if Ronaldo was at Juve you would love him.

Jun 13, 2007
Did you not read what I said about Zlatan Ibangedmylittlekitty movic ?

Did you not read when I said it's not his tricks that bothered me, it was his antics ?

Some people just amaze me.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
C Ronaldo has had an absolutely amazing season so far. He's the most complete player I've seen after Zizou and he's by far the best player of this season. I bet you, Juv-rev, Red, Andy and maybe all the others here who hate him would die to see him in Juve's jersey. If he was a Juve player, you wouldn't mind his arrogance. So face the fact. You hate him because he is the BEST player of the team you hate THE MOST.
Tough one.

Purely in terms of ability, I would love to have Ronaldo in the team.

However, his personality and wages would make me question whether it would be a good deal. There is also the question of how he would do against the tougher defences of Serie A.

I would like him at Juve, but certainly not at any cost.

Also, you may not know that Juve were very close to signing Roanldo before Utd got him. The deal was agreed but Salas refused to go to SPorting and so the transfer didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 116)