[EU] Champions League 2007/2008 (32 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Aye, because he didn't have the balls to do his routine when it really mattered.

I remain unconvinced that he can perform in big games.
true that, last season against milan he had the opportunity to show he was better than kaka, he was practically invisible over the 2 legs while kaka ran the show. on wednesday he had some flashes of greatness but all the step-overs and fancy tricks could not hide the fact that he was not having any real impact on the barca defenders

It's all that Racist (you know who) mod's fault :D :p
whoever could you mean:shifty:

Ive said this a lot of times before - he has talent.An insane amount of talent.Right now,he is probably the best player in the world.He gets a lot of stick,a lot of which is out of sheer frustration by his critics than nothing else.Why is he not respected the same way Kaka or Buffon are?Its the whole aura of being Ronaldo,and the prick like attitude that he brings with him.

Going by who you talk to,Ronaldo is both overated and underated.Overated by his fans and the english press,and underated by some others.But Its not about being overated or underated though.He has unquestionable skill.Skill that if he maintains for another 7-8 years,might rank him amongst the most finest ever.But despite all this,he is not respected.I dont think there's any other player in the world that the opposition fans abuse more than Ronaldo.

Showboating is a part of his game.Ronaldo wouldnt be Ronaldo if he didnt do that.I think at this stage in his career,it'll be difficult for him to change his style in a less flashy one.He'll always be the player that fans love and the opposition hate.

With all his qualities,Ronaldo missed the one quality of being respected.Unless he aachieves that,he will always be regarded as a lesser player than he actually is.
completely agree with you on this salman. kaka does not get the lack of respect well apart from with the english media who think anyone not playing in their league and/or is not english is not a great player. the problem with ronaldo is that air of dickheadism about him,he is a phenominal footballer and is having the season of his life, but he looks and acts like a cunt! personally i call it the "Ibra effect" where you havea guy who is tremendously skillful, outrageously talented and massively effective,yet still 95% of world football hate his guts

Jun 13, 2007
Not that I would want to offend anyone, but anyone saying C. Ronaldo is an overrated wanker doesn't know the first thing about football. Just look at the season the guy's had, look at his statistics FFS! C. Ronaldo is almost inhuman. If anything he's probably underrated.
C.Ronaldo is anything but underrated. I think it's obvious the guy is insanely talented, no one is denying that that. He is one of the best players in the world, if not the best. I don't like him though, in fact, I hate him. His antics piss me off, he acts like he owns the word. The way he takes a penalty makes me want to break something. Lots of people feel that way about him.

Despite being this talented, he always seems to choke when it really matters. He always disappears when Man U play against a big team. The way he dives against teams like Derby to get a penalty just makes want to puke.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Dont, know, how, you, came, to, that, conclusion.
I didn't realise how bad the English education system had become.

Ive said this a lot of times before - he has talent.An insane amount of talent.Right now,he is probably the best player in the world.He gets a lot of stick,a lot of which is out of sheer frustration by his critics than nothing else.Why is he not respected the same way Kaka or Buffon are?Its the whole aura of being Ronaldo,and the prick like attitude that he brings with him.

Going by who you talk to,Ronaldo is both overated and underated.Overated by his fans and the english press,and underated by some others.But Its not about being overated or underated though.He has unquestionable skill.Skill that if he maintains for another 7-8 years,might rank him amongst the most finest ever.But despite all this,he is not respected.I dont think there's any other player in the world that the opposition fans abuse more than Ronaldo.

Showboating is a part of his game.Ronaldo wouldnt be Ronaldo if he didnt do that.I think at this stage in his career,it'll be difficult for him to change his style in a less flashy one.He'll always be the player that fans love and the opposition hate.

With all his qualities,Ronaldo missed the one quality of being respected.Unless he aachieves that,he will always be regarded as a lesser player than he actually is.
:tup:

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
I don't mind people hating him for being a cunt because I don't blame them, but people who hate him for his football need to get their heads checked.

edit: Same goes for people who put him higher or in the same category as George Best.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003

Well you have summarised his situation very well and i agree.

On the other hand i guess being a "dick" or the "ibra-effect" like bozi put it is part of greatness isn't it ? Being arrogant comes with the territory, you have exceptions but have a look at the great players in the past. Maradona was one of the biggest dicks the game has ever seen. Same goes for Cruyff and the list goes on. You can't always have Maldini's, Scrieas or Del Pieros.

And i am not comparing him to maradona, i am comparing their attitude.

Éver

Mar 1, 2008
We'll see how much of a choker he is at Old Trafford in the second leg.

btw, I dont know a single person here who thinks he is underrated or overrated. Think everyone just appreciates that he is the best attacker in the premiership and probably the world right now.

His arrogance is part of him and makes him the successful player he is. If you dont like arrogant players then fair enough, but I can accept it myself. Even on Henry.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I don't know why every was focusing on Ronaldo or Messi. Personally, they both don't really come close to Deco. Thats the football I enjoy watching, players with Deco's vision and style is something.

Btw, Xavi is a great player too.

Jun 13, 2007
I agree about Ronaldo as he relies soley on his pace and trickey. Messi however has great vision to along with his excellent dribbling and speed.

To me, Messi is better than Ronaldo.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
We'll see how much of a choker he is at Old Trafford in the second leg.

btw, I dont know a single person here who thinks he is underrated or overrated. Think everyone just appreciates that he is the best attacker in the premiership and probably the world right now.

His arrogance is part of him and makes him the successful player he is. If you dont like arrogant players then fair enough, but I can accept it myself. Even on Henry.
i'm not going to call him a choker, nor am i going to call him overrated. he is worth paying the money to watch him pay live, he is worth tuning in on tv also. he is part of the future of the game and i will not deny that he could be the best overall featured attacking player in the EPL ATM...

i think he has the right to be arrogant and cocky. he is well-talented and lets his play do the talking for the most part. And as much as people adore him, there are still a lot of folks who hate on him. Thus rightfully so, he has every right to be arrogant because he probably gets more grief than praise because of the microscope he is under. I would act the same if not more arrogant if I was in his same position.

Jun 13, 2007
i'm not going to call him a choker, nor am i going to call him overrated. he is worth paying the money to watch him pay live, he is worth tuning in on tv also. he is part of the future of the game and i will not deny that he could be the best overall featured attacking player in the EPL ATM...

i think he has the right to be arrogant and cocky. he is well-talented and lets his play do the talking for the most part. And as much as people adore him, there are still a lot of folks who hate on him. Thus rightfully so, he has every right to be arrogant because he probably gets more grief than praise because of the microscope he is under. I would act the same if not more arrogant if I was in his same position.

I wouldn't, there is nothing in the world that justifies arrogant and cocky behaviour. That's why players like Del piero and Maldini are respected by everyone including their rivals while players like Ronaldo aren't.

Class is just something you inherit naturally, humbleness is class while flashiness and arrogance is the exact opposite. That's the way I see it and I might be the only one that views things in this manner but I will never regard arrogance as something that is acceptable.

In short, if kids pick Ronaldo as their role model and choose to to behave the way he does. The world will be a disgusting place to live in.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well then Dru, don't get angry when you have to deal with late tackles, because while I'd be cocky myself, I'd still have respect for respectful players. Ronaldo has respect for nobody and hopefully he will pay for that one day. This isn't fucking golf here... he'll get his ass handed to him a la Eduardo. But in this case the player might deserve it.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
I wouldn't, there is nothing in the world that justifies arrogant and cocky behaviour. That's why players like Del piero and Maldini are respected by everyone including their rivals while players like Ronaldo aren't.

Class is just something you inherit naturally, humbleness is class while flashiness and arrogance is the exact opposite. That's the way I see it and I might be the only one that views things in this manner but I will never regard arrogance as something that is acceptable.

In short, if kids pick Ronaldo as their role model and choose to to behave the way he does. The world will be a disgusting place to live in.
This world already is a disgusting place to live in.

Yes players like ADP and Maldini are humble which is great but players like Jordan, Tiger and Maradona were arrogant. So if its class that you are worried about then I think you are taking this too seriously. Ronaldo isn't stomping all over the football gods or anything, he is just making his mark in the history of the game. A player with an edge and pizzazz combined with his talents is the sign of greatness.

Also its not like he is a bad role model. He doesn't get involved in illegal activities or use steroids or has scandals which question his character. He is just cocky and I think every player is, whether or not you choose to show it doesn't make you good or bad.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
true that, last season against milan he had the opportunity to show he was better than kaka, he was practically invisible over the 2 legs while kaka ran the show. on wednesday he had some flashes of greatness but all the step-overs and fancy tricks could not hide the fact that he was not having any real impact on the barca defenders

whoever could you mean:shifty:

completely agree with you on this salman. kaka does not get the lack of respect well apart from with the english media who think anyone not playing in their league and/or is not english is not a great player. the problem with ronaldo is that air of dickheadism about him,he is a phenominal footballer and is having the season of his life, but he looks and acts like a cunt! personally i call it the "Ibra effect" where you havea guy who is tremendously skillful, outrageously talented and massively effective,yet still 95% of world football hate his guts
Nice term:D.But im very sure that Zlatan doesnt generate the same magnitutde of hatred as Ronaldo does.Both come from the same school of arrogance however.Though to Zlatan's credit,he isnt a diver.Not a habitual one atleast.

Well you have summarised his situation very well and i agree.

On the other hand i guess being a "dick" or the "ibra-effect" like bozi put it is part of greatness isn't it ? Being arrogant comes with the territory, you have exceptions but have a look at the great players in the past. Maradona was one of the biggest dicks the game has ever seen. Same goes for Cruyff and the list goes on. You can't always have Maldini's, Scrieas or Del Pieros.

And i am not comparing him to maradona, i am comparing their attitude.
Maradona was never arrogant IMO.He never had the aura of 'Hey look at me,Im Diego' about him.He was short tempered and self destructive,but i wouldnt call him arrogant.The same goes for Cruyff.I think people mix Maradona's off-field troubles with arrogance,which is wrong.But even if a person thinks he was arrogant,he still had an incomparable impact on the game to go with it..something that Ronaldo has not achieved so far.Maradona might have been a dick,but atleast he was a likeable dick.His footballing story is something that you'd only read about in storybooks as kids,which is one of the reasons why he has such a phenomenal following the world over,despite the drugs,despire the flying kicks,and despite the hand of God...Maradona is loved by fans like a brother,like a father..like one of their very own.Ronaldo isnt.

Jun 13, 2007
This world already is a disgusting place to live in.

Yes players like ADP and Maldini are humble which is great but players like Jordan, Tiger and Maradona were arrogant. So if its class that you are worried about then I think you are taking this too seriously. Ronaldo isn't stomping all over the football gods or anything, he is just making his mark in the history of the game. A player with an edge and pizzazz combined with his talents is the sign of greatness.

Also its not like he is a bad role model. He doesn't get involved in illegal activities or use steroids or has scandals which question his character. He is just cocky and I think every player is, whether or not you choose to show it doesn't make you good or bad.
It's not a question of good and bad, it's a question of morality. It's about always respecting your opponent no matter how great you are. Jordan, Tiger, and Maradona were confident more than they were arrogant, they just believed in themselves. That's a whole different thing, self-confidence doesn't bother me, arrogance bothers me. Believeing you are the greatest thing on earth at the age of 23 is what bothers me. Treating rivals that have been playing the game before you were even born like pieces of shit is what bothers me.

He isn't selling drugs or mudering people, he's not commiting any crimes. He is however, setting an ugly example for children all over the world. I know I may seem overly dramatic but trust me, I'm not. It is very serious how highly regarded sports figures such as Ronaldo behave. You'll be very surprised to know how much of a huge influence this guy has. I don't know how defenders can stand him, I'm surprised he isn't in a hospital bed already.

Like I said, that's just the way I see things. I don't appeciate people who look down on everyone else, If Ronaldo was someone who lived nearby, I'd beat the shit out of him.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
It's not a question of good and bad, it's a question of morality. It's about always respecting your opponent no matter how great you are. Jordan, Tiger, and Maradona were confident more than they were arrogant, they just believed in themselves. That's a whole different thing, self-confidence doesn't bother me, arrogance bothers me. Believeing you are the greatest thing on earth at the age of 23 is what bothers me. Treating rivals that have been playing the game before you were even born like pieces of shit is what bothers me.

He isn't selling drugs or mudering people, he's not commiting any crimes. He is however, setting an ugly example for children all over the world. I know I may seem overly dramatic but trust me, I'm not. It is very serious how highly regarded sports figures such as Ronaldo behave. You'll be very surprised to know how much of a huge influence this guy has. I don't know how defenders can stand him, I'm surprised he isn't in a hospital bed already.

Like I said, that's just the way I see things. I don't appeciate people who look down on everyone else, If Ronaldo was someone who lived nearby, I'd beat the shit out of him.
I see what you are saying but you are judging his character based on what he does on the field. That is inconsequential if you are looking for a role model. You judge a person for what he/she does off the field. That’s the stuff that you should worry about, because football is just a game. No matter how you spin it, no matter how much money it generates and pours out, its still just a game.

Here is a list of american athletes and some articles that personify what a true bad role model is for kids in terms of athletes:

http://www.listafterlist.com/tabid/57/listid/7824/Sports++Recreation/Worst+Athlete+Role+Models.aspx

http://media.www.thelantern.com/med...d-Athletes.Make.Bad.Role.Models-2668936.shtml

http://www.larryelder.com/athletes.html

Jun 13, 2007
I see what you are saying but you are judging his character based on what he does on the field. That is inconsequential if you are looking for a role model. You judge a person for what he/she does off the field. That’s the stuff that you should worry about, because football is just a game. No matter how you spin it, no matter how much money it generates and pours out, its still just a game.

Here is a list of american athletes and some articles that personify what a true bad role model is for kids in terms of athletes:

http://www.listafterlist.com/tabid/57/listid/7824/Sports++Recreation/Worst+Athlete+Role+Models.aspx

http://media.www.thelantern.com/med...d-Athletes.Make.Bad.Role.Models-2668936.shtml

http://www.larryelder.com/athletes.html
Real Jock the gay fitness community ?:rofl:

I see what you mean. I know Ronaldo can't compare to any of these atheletes and what they do off the pitch is far more important. I never said Ronaldo was a bad person, he hasn't done anything wrong. However, sometimes you have to consider that we are talking about children. They don't choose to immitate a person out of their own will, it is something that happens subconciously. Kids don't follow the news and probably won't understand what people like Kobe and Michael Vick are doing. They will respond to what they see in a football game. They see Ronaldo wearing earings, they would want earings. They see Ronaldo in shiny red shoes, they want to buy shiny red shoes. They see how Ronaldo acts toward the opposition, they will act the same way. Thus, they will act disrespectfully and arrogantly.

Football, at the end of the day, is just a game ofcourse. However, the impact its players has on children is shocking. I can assure you that the majority of Del piero fans around the world, incuding adults, are humble. While the majority of Henry fans around the world are cocky.

dao_nq

Feb 6, 2008
I have to tell you one thing. In Asia culture, especially in Vietnam and China, old people sometimes judge someone by contemplating his/her face, and, generally, some how they are right. My mom does that too.

One night, I was watching Ars - MU, my mom had nothing to do so she sat beside me. Occasionally, Ronaldo's face was on the screen. After all, mom said to me: "don't ever make friend to a lad like him, he's arrogant and self-fish". There must be something on his face or his performance to make such a not-knowing-what-football-is person like my mom to say so !!

And that time, he played like a clown, he tried to showoff before young Arsenal lads, showing off for nothing but nuts and boos. And this is the first time I realize I hate him although I always respect his talent.

If he was a football machine, who gives a shit who he is, his job is to put the ball inside the net. But if he wants to be a footballer, real footballer, means whose specialist is playing football and being a good man, then he has to change.

Have you ever seen Kaka, Delpi or Ronaldinho being arrogant for once? No, I haven't seen one. They're football idol, they has talent, they overcome their hardships, they are grateful, confident but still humble. This is why they will be remembered for many years from now, not Ronaldo !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 32)