[EU] Champions League 2007/2008 (40 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

northbank

Mar 22, 2006
Wrong. It's about coming out with a result and limiting your presence around their area, which they did in spite of their poor recent form.
What match were you watching?

The one at the emirates stadium saw Cesc have three open shots at goal which he fluffed, Eboue fluff one and Adebayor hit the bar. There was arguably a penalty shout as well when Eboue went over. Milan had one clear chance too so lets say for arguments sake that had everyone finished the score would have been 4-1 (surely you aren't suggesting that a failure to finish has anything to do with tactics).

They didn't limit shit, they got run over; Ancelotti's tactics got shit on from a great, their midfield was nullified and their defence got pulled all over the shop by our wing play. Pato upfront on his own had nothing to work with but he is a class player, I'll give him that, better then I thought he was from tv.

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
Apparently Boumsong was excellent for Lyon against United.

Hilarious.
Boumsong wasn' t that great. He did play surprisingly good against the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney and the rest though. He got beaten few times and caught out of position but numerous times he made good tackles and his marking was solid.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
0-0 away from home is never a good result for me especially if both teams are good as it means the home side has to now win the return leg.

The away side's objective is just to score a goal and that is much easier than winning a game.

So Arsenal still have every chance of qualifying as they would surely have more spaces in the San Siro.

The only problem is that they hardly impress away from home in the Cl with few notable exceptions and Milan are masters in this competition.

Interesting that the same referee that sent off materazzi for 2 innocuous challenges was the same that disallowed Dp's goal at Anfield.

I did not think it was prudent of Uefa to put a belgian in charge of the meeting Juventus and Liverpool bearing in mind that that fateful game to place in Belgium. If that was UEFA displaying a sense of irony and humour, I missed both.

I get the nagging feeling that Italian teams from clubs to country get punished more than most in Europe and English teams get favoured more ever so slightly, maybe its because premiership wealth, i dont know.

I see Graeme Souness stating that he has the sneaky feeling that it will be an all English final this year.

Seeing that he has been saying this for like 10 years now, 1 would have thought this particular feeling would not sneak up on him and that he would see it coming but its Souness so I aint surprised

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
What match were you watching?

The one at the emirates stadium saw Cesc have three open shots at goal which he fluffed, Eboue fluff one and Adebayor hit the bar. There was arguably a penalty shout as well when Eboue went over. Milan had one clear chance too so lets say for arguments sake that had everyone finished the score would have been 4-1 (surely you aren't suggesting that a failure to finish has anything to do with tactics).

They didn't limit shit, they got run over; Ancelotti's tactics got shit on from a great, their midfield was nullified and their defence got pulled all over the shop by our wing play. Pato upfront on his own had nothing to work with but he is a class player, I'll give him that, better then I thought he was from tv.
Sorry I disagree with that, kicking an opponents leg and then diving is not a penalty and he deserved exactly what he got.

If there is 1 Arsenal player that blatantly cheats its Eboue and I am sure you would have been mad if Milan were given a penalty if Gilardino did the same to Arsenal.

As for the rest of the game Milan tired visibly as they have been playing weekends and weekdays almost throughout and they are old.

By the way would someone loan out some braincells to Massimo Oddo as the guy is just plain stupid

northbank

Mar 22, 2006
I don't know mate but I didn't add it to my imaginary goal tally anyway.

If that happened to one of our defenders I would wonder why he had his leg in a position to be expolited like that, those sort of penalties are often given; bare in mind I haven't seen a replay.

Doesn't really matter either way because we had more then enough opportunity to end this tie completely and if we go out, it will be down to ourselves.

Look at this sneaky bit of defending, could be a penalty too. That's the sort of situation where experience comes in to play; Carvalho does this week in week out at Chelsea, he's a master of the 'dark arts'.

Milan will have to find some answers for the return fixture because while they were composed last night, they didn't really offer anything.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
If last season's Kaka(or Seedorf for that matter) was playing, milan would've walked away with the win there.
I dont know why you would say that, defensively we contained them both..this is like saying if the old Henry(or Ronaldinho for that matter) was playing Barca would win the quadruple.

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
I dont know why you would say that, defensively we contained them both..this is like saying if the old Henry(or Ronaldinho for that matter) was playing Barca would win the quadruple.
what is your openion of arsenal , i expected a better performance

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
The performance wasnt bad, like i said we contained their dangerous players, we dominated the game and kept the ball, we were much more dangerous than them as we created a fair amount of chances..the end product just wasnt there though..we just couldnt put the ball in that damn net.

northbank

Mar 22, 2006
Very cautious in the first half, played too much within themselves. Took the shackles of in the second and Milan couldn't handle it. Very poor finishing on our part which could come back to haunt us.

Milan made alot of tactical fouls but it didn't seem to work for the most part, we swarmed all over their midfield and gave them no time to turn; they didn't seem to like playing towards their own goal for some reason and kept trying to turn in the midfield and losing possession, maybe because they had players coming back from injury.

It wasn't our top performance, but a similar one in Milan would see us through. Adebayor has to be better.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
I thought there were a few occasions and there was space for Milan to hurt Arsenal on the break. An in-form Kaka wouldn't have needed much, but last night he was an exhausted inhibited version of himself and his moves led to nothing whereas last season they were usually succesful.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Milan are no mugs so its not like Arsenal should be beating them with ease.

All in all it was not a bad result as they didnt concede at home and thats important.

Years ago Man united fans and players were happy to have come from Madrid with a 0-0 and what happened? Within 5 minutes Roy Keane scores an own goal and all of a sudden United were looking for 2 goals

Of cos Redondo made a mug out of henning Berg and they were 3-0 up before you know it.

Lets not forget that Milan's great performance against United last year was partly because Vidic and Ferdinand were missing so i would not count my chickens just yet.

As a neutral i would say Arsenal did not create that many golden chances as most of their efforts were from long range dealt with comfortably by kalac.

Milan created absolutely nothing and Pirlo was extremely anonymous buy Wenger did a good job by keeping him quiet so can't be hypercritical of him except for his lameass freekicks.

Pass of the match was Lehmann huge punt to Adebayor, it was awesome.

Why is it that once they make you world or european footballer of the year, the next season your form dips alarmingly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 40)