[EU] Champions League 05/06 (4 Viewers)

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
my prediction 3:1 milan wins. or atleast that milan will win the first leg. too many important players missing for barcelona, while kaka-gila-sheva on milan side all fit. its gona be hard.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
two chanses from milan in one minute, first gila hits post and then shevas header. also noticed that milan players are making too dangerous mistakes, rino hit ronaldinhos foot and seedorf ran down edmilson.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Well, one thing is for certain this time around. In the return leg, Milan probably won't give up 3+ goals by forgetting to focus on the match...

Intro

Apr 6, 2005
Espectro said:
I was watching the game, and I think to myself...

So thats how you play soccer!!
Are you talking about Barcelona?

If so then I agree if only you are talking about tactical application and defending. Ok, matches such as this are always likely to be settled by small margins - but I do not count creating one magical moment and pouncing on the smallest of opportunities as the perfect performance.

It was indeed very similar to some of the 'lucky' performances Milan have turned in at the San Siro over the last few seasons. I'm not saying Barcelona are not worthy Champions or are not the best team in Europe - but their performance left me very unsatisfied.

If that is the supposed best team which then ironically has the better defence and is the team that employs the man-marker. Ok they defended as a team but attack through the magic of one player; even if that magic is a illuminous as Ronaldinho. Milan played or at least attempted to play in the manner I prefer to see unfortunately they failed to get near their best.

But I now see the pattern of the teams that are at this stage and unfortunately Milan are the anamoly. All of the other three sides; Villarreal, Arsenal and Barcelona have their basis on defence. Ok - you may say how can I make such an outragous statement about Barca but tonight's display leaves me with that. Check the stats: and you will see these 'wonderful' attacking sides and how few goals they have conceded. Barcelona have only conceded a forced own-goal from John Terry away from home. We all know of Arsenal's clean sheet record and Villarreal place discipline and counter-attacking as their priority. Milan in contrast have conceded in every home match bar PSV - the one team who did not set out to attack and naturally neutralised the Milan attack.

From this defensive basis the teams all run through one man; Henry, Ronaldinho and Riquelme respectively. Of course they are aided by other attacking players but gone is the attack with the whole team. This is the way Milan try from Pirlo through the midfield to two strikers. They also get their width from the full-backs not forwards which also seems to be the new trend.

Congratulations to Barcelona but as with Porto and Liverpool the winner will come from the same variant in the team which is most careful at the back and capitalises on their opportunities. Barcelona may be a more dynamic winner of this trophy but their attitude will have been the same. But if I were a Barca supporter the final knockout may indeed arrive from Arsenal in this same manner.

So please wax lyrical about Barca but for the right reasons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)