Eremenko to Juve (2 Viewers)

Jan 7, 2004
Career
Born 24:03:83
Position Attacking Midfielder - Striker
Apps 5
Goals 2

Alexei Eremenko Jr is already being talked about in Finland as a possible replacement for Jari Litmanen. Of course Alexei is only 20 years old, and has to achieve a great deal in his future career if he is to adequately succeed Jari Litmanen. However, Alexei has already shown enough promise as a playmaker to alert several clubs around Europe. He is also sensible enough to not let such lofty comparisons go straight to his head, "It's nice, but I'm not on his level yet" Eremenko rightly acknowledges.

Eremenko Jr's rise to sporting prominence began in 1991 when his father, former FC Dinamo Moskva and FC Spartak Moskva player Alexei Eremenko Sr, moved to Finland to sign for FF Jaro, bringing sons Alexei Jr and Roman with him to Pietarsaari on the country's west coast, and then eventually to HJK Helsinki. While his father played in Helsinki, Alexei Jr - or 'Losa' as he was nicknamed spent two years in France with FC Metz's youth team before making his Finnish league debut with FC Jokerit in 2001 and then rejoining his father at HJK for the following campaign. "It was a great experience at Metz," said Alexei Jr. "I learnt a lot and grew much more independent. I could have stayed longer, but it seemed very difficult to get a place in the first team. So I decided to return to Finland and that has turned out to be the right decision."

The Eremenko family was granted Finnish citizenship in the spring of 2003, and Alexei was immediately called into the Finnish Under-21 squad, ironically for a friendly against his native Russia. He immediately impressed at Under 21 level, and scored his first goal for Finland Under 21s against Italy from the penalty spot, coolly sending the keeper the wrong way in a manner reminiscent of Jari Litmanen. Eremenko was then fast tracked to the National set up and won his first full cap in a 3-2 friendly win against Canada on 11 October 2003.

That October Eremenko Jr helped HJK to the domestic double and then set off to England for trials with Birmingham City. Eremenko was invited for a further trial and compatriot and Birmingham player Mikael Forssell commented "We regularly have visiting players in training sessions. Normally regular team players don't comment on their performance. But many players admired Alexei's game". Birmingham and HJK could not come to an agreement over a fee for the playmaker and Eremenko made further appearances for the National team in friendlies against Honduras and Costa Rica played in Texas. Leicester City also invited Eremenko for a trial, but they did not pursue their interest.

Eremenko remained calm amidst the speculation on his future ,"If I move to England I'm prepared to sit months on the bench. It took almost a year before Jari Litmanen broke in to Ajax's first team, I won't be disappointed if the transfer doesn't happen. We are in the Champions League qualifications with HJK so there's lot to play for."

Eremenko scored his first goal for the National team in February 2004 in Finland's 2-1 friendly defeat to China in Guangzhou. It is uncertain at this time whether Eremenko will continue in the Under 21 set up for the forthcoming World Cup qualifications or will feature in the squads for the full team, but at this time Eremenko is one of Finland's brightest prospects.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
so moggi will buy him, loan him to a lower team for a few seasons. i dont know, never seen him before, so i cant comment on his abilities, but joining juve these days at that age isnt a safe option anymore.

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
well, since I'm Finnish, I've seen him playing many times... He's talented, but he must change his attitude first... But he has potential, for me this is great news, if he performs well in Italy, I can see him i playing for Juve within few years... Right now his second best player in our league (after Litmanen of course) but he has even more talent than Litmanen ever did...

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Poku ] ++
well, since I'm Finnish, I've seen him playing many times... He's talented, but he must change his attitude first... But he has potential, for me this is great news, if he performs well in Italy, I can see him i playing for Juve within few years... Right now his second best player in our league (after Litmanen of course) but he has even more talent than Litmanen ever did...
What's up with his attitude? He's like Cassano isn't he? Damn bastard! :fero:

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
if he's as talented as litmanen,then juve's wasted another talent.no way can i imagine a 20 year old finn cutting it under moggi's youth policies.

Rothose

Apr 26, 2004
Interesting to hear. Eremenko was very close to go to Hamburg. He was very impressive in a trial a month ago, he scored a fantastic goal in an exhibition match for Hamburg and showed great playmaking skills. I watched the match and i was really impressed by this guy. He is a big talent, but a bit slow and too fat.
The transfer to Hamburg almost seemed clear but was cancelled yesterday (!!), Eremenko said that he will go to Zenit St. Petersburg because they are paying him more :eek: !
If i hear such a statement from a 20 year old player, i can only shake my head ! If you are already that greedy with 20 years of age and you make the decision to go for the money instead of playing in a much more competitive league, this is very sad. Is that the kind of attitude Poku was talking about ??
Interesting to hear that Juve is interested in him, too. Maybe he will now skip St. Petersburg in favor to Juve :D ..

Rothose

Apr 26, 2004
I've now read the article at tribalfootball.com, it sounds like pure nonsense :
Juventus to trump Hamburg for Finn Eremenko
tribalfootball.com - April 27, 2004

Juventus are threatening to trump Hamburg for HJK Helsinki midfielder Alexei Eremenko.

The 21 year-old Finnish international was all set to move to the Bundesliga, only for a phone all from Juve chief Luciano Moggi to stall negotiations.

It's understood Moggi has told HJK they're willing to offer £1.4 million for Eremenko, 21, who has had extensive experience in Russia with Spartak and Dinamo Moscow.
1. Eremenko never played for Dinamo and Spartak Moscow. He spent his career as a pro in Finland and played in france at youth level...

2. Hamburg already settled an agreement with Eremenko's club HJK over a transfer fee of about 400-500 k € ( notive : his contract is running out in October when the season in Finland ends..). So Moggi likes to burn Juve's cash by increasing this offer to 1,4 Mio £ which is more than 2 Mio Euro, 4-5 times more than HJK asked for the player :D ? I don't really think so ;) !

About 99% of these tribalfootball rumors are utter BS ...

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
well, he's not that greedy, but he has difficulties with HJKs coach Keith Armstrong, they almost fought few weeks ago... The problem is that he thinks too much of himself, he needs to learn patience too... But he definitely is talented, the only problem seems to be his attitude... He's capable to play in Serie A already, I'm sure of that, but not yet Juve material... Maybe on loan to Parma when Gilardino comes to Juve??

He said in Veikkaaja (respected Finnish magazine) that he'll decide between Juve (few days ago unknown club) and HSV soon... Hopefully he'll pick Juve...

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Sidz-Inzaghi ] ++
If he's THAT good, why never seen him listed in Finland squad? might as well get Forssell
Well, Litmanen plays same position... Eremenko will probably play tonight against Bosnia... He has played for Finland only little while, he got his citizenship about year ago... and btw, Forssell is good, and he'll be great within few years...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)