EPL Bullshit (1 Viewer)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
What is it with you guys hating English players so much? There is simply no way that Rooney or Lampard are overrated and it's ridiculous to deny the talent of a player like Defoe.

Instead of bashing all those players because "English players are always overrated", you should try to come up with an argument.

In which way exactly is Zlatan better and has he done a better job than let's say Rooney? I don't like Rooney either, but saying that he's just an average player looks like you're in denial.

Buy on AliExpress.com

peckface

approaching curve
Oct 3, 2004
OP
Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    Like Lampard, Defoe, Drogba, Gerrard, and Robben? All overrated players?

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
    Oct 27, 2004
    EPL is entertaining and fun to watch (the big games and arsenal) And Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard are great players, but I still dislike them ;)

Daddi

Oct 27, 2004
    Christiano Ronaldo, Drogba, Robben, Henry are not Overrated, not even Ryan Giggs, he is a player ive always wanted at Juve, but it never happened and now he's old :(

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    EPL overrated yes, but is it bullshit? No.

EPL has caught up with Serie A no doubt, and in a way it was inevitable given their financial strenghts. Both leagues have cons and pros, and to be honest it is difficult to say which one is better at this stage. Nonetheless, I do believe EPL in general is tab bit overrated. Here is the reason why.
    The playing level of Italian top clubs and English one in terms of financial strenghts is pretty even and in fact that Italian Big 3 is better than English ones, IMO. However, English have many teams with financial muscle that tries to break into upper echleon with likes of Middlesbourough, Newcastle, Spurs and co. which is absent in Italian league apart from Roma, Fiorentina and Palermo (Lazio could be counted once their sort out their books). This is due to more equitable sharing of TV revenues, and strong local ties with the team, which makes EPL far more competitive system than Serie A IMO. Secondly, these teams have strong incentives to invest given big discontinuities in terms of revenue between EPL and Championship, and thus clubs even thoughs battling for relegation are willing to take some risks and try to stay on (Portsmouth, Bolton, Leeds for example). It may payoff like Bolton, or it may not. The point is that unlike Serie A, as there is more equitable distribution of TV income, there is stronger incentive for EPL's weaker teams to spend than Italian or Spanish counterparts. Of course given such incentives and high cash flows, English teams are more able and willing to buy high-price less risky commodity than other big leagues. Hasselbaink, Viduka, Reiziger, Van der Sar are such examples. These players may not necessarily be better than up and coming young players in Spain or Italy such as Mauro Esposito, Langella, Pinzi, Pizzaro to name a few but given EPL teams to produce instant result trying out these players arent really an option unless you are Crystal palace which is similar to Italian provincial teams in terms of makeup and structured incentives.
    This means that EPL is likely to be stacked with overrated high priced players like Mark Viduka, N'gotty, Andrew. Cole, who I can't really see them doing any better in Serie A. Furthermore, this also means than young English talents are more likely to be squeezed out of the league than Italian or Spanish players. No wonder Italian U-23 has won all but 2 of European Championship and finish highest in Olympics. Speaking of National team, the anlaysis of league cannot be complete without referrence to Senior National teams and players that constitue both NT and the league. As I have said, there will likely be more overrated players than both Serie A and La Liga but that doesnt mean every player in the league will treated as such. Frank Lampard, IMO, is extremely underrated player given that he is extremely consistent, gives 110% in every game, and scores goals just like a beauty against Norwich. A. Cole is another one whose attributes goes unrecognized in world stage. He is surely one of the best DL in the world but he isnt exactly a household name a la Roberto Carlos. This is because English NT is extremely underrated given their lack of success in the past. But I see very capable group of young players coming through (remarkable given their depth at youth isnt anywhere deep as Italia) and players constituting the team are treated in same way like Terry, Defoe, Lampard, Cole and Gerrard, unless you are Beckham, Owen and Rooney - All of whom are grossly overrated and over-hyped. Azzurri, on the other hand, was extremely overrated coming into Euro 2004 (I think they were worst group of players since 1992) whereas it is now underrated given the fact that Italians failed to live upto their expectations. I see good group of youngsters making their breakthroughs, and if Lippi can harness likes of Chiellini, Espositos, Gilardinos, De Rossis, well with Totti, Canna, Buffon and co. and have guts to say good bye to Del Piero, Vieri, Pannucci et al. I think Azzuri can have a good tournament in 2006.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    EPL is only overrated in English-speaking countries.

Otherwise, I would give my first born to have someone like Lampard play on Juve this season.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    EPL is just packaged brilliantly. On the pitch it doesnt offer quality of the highest order. Sure you get loads of high scoring games. But really... whats the excitement all about? Goals are bound to come when mediocre teams face off against each other. The EPL has nothing to offer in terms of big upsets, titanic clashes and champions other than Man U and Arsenal. Throw Chelski in to the mix (thanks to the moneybags and not because theyve worked their way up with what they had), and its 3 teams as opposed to the two earlier. Sure, the Serie A hasnt really been a tale of 7 sisters in recent seasons, but atleast its gone down to the wire with championships being decided on the last day between contending teams. And besides even the mediocre teams in Italy put up stern opposition for the big guns,offering more than the occasional upset. So while the Evertons and Liverpools, of the world bask in former glory, I'd rather enjoy the Milans being stunned by the Messinas, grazie very much.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Seven ] ++
    In which way exactly is Zlatan better and has he done a better job than let's say Rooney? I don't like Rooney either, but saying that he's just an average player looks like you're in denial.

Whose saying he's average? But just because he's been hyped and compared with no less than the likes of Baggio and Pele, doesnt mean he has nothing left to prove. The money spent on him should be attributed more to the hype around him than his talent itself. Remember Michael Owen? Wayne Rooney is no different. He too, had an average season and he too was young, but for 1 super goal, was elevated to the status of a demi god. Rooney's transfer to Man U got all the media coverage when Zlatan quietly signed with Juve. Zlatan has paled in comparison to Rooney as far as global media coverage goes, and thats a blessing in disguise. He can actually concentrate on his game, and work towards living up to his potential.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #13
    I used to compare Rooney with Owen as well, but lately I've seen great flashes of brilliance of him. Of course Rooney has a lot to proove, but when you're 19 and you're up there you got to do something right.

Juve89

The Farmer
    May 27, 2004
    I really don`t like to see EPL sure the big matches is good but the matches with smaller team isn`t good,the smaller teams don`t play exiting football.
    In serie A I can see a small match and enjoy it as much as a big match.

Daddi

Oct 27, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Gogeta ] ++
    Agreed I can watch two small teams like juve vs inter and enjoy it
    Hhahaha and here in Sweden I can watch IFK Göteborg VS. Djurgården and enjoy it ;) Forza Blåvitt!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)