England vs Turkey (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Holdon ] ++

You might not want to. It's had an adverse effect of some of the people who've read it, such as Mark Chapman, John Lennon's murderer.

Sorry about the thread going off topic. I hope Turkey win!
Oh really? Chapman was inspired by that book? :eek: interesting...

the book also made an appearance in Conspiracy Theory, and Mel didn't look too good in that movie :undecide: maybe i'll reconsider...

gray

Apr 22, 2003
England fans sent home
Thursday, 09 October 2003

Two England fans have been interviewed by Turkish police and sent home from Istanbul Airport.
England have jetted off to Istanbul for Saturday's crucial Euro 2004 qualifier with Turkey, a game which is sure to be a tense affair.

The English FA sent back their allocation of tickets for the game, amid fears over the safety of fans.

Supporters have been urged not to travel to the match, but it was always likely that individuals would attempt to attend the game.

It would appear that security is tight, as two fans have been sent back to England.

------------------------------------------------

:eek:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Turkish fans are very passionate about both club and internation football, and these precautions are mainly due to the history between the fans of the two nations

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
oh i c......

well i'm afraid i don't know too much about history, but many fans are passionate and many fans are violent :rolleyes: i guess these guys must be particularly notorious then.

Btw, may i ask whose fans have been the trouble makers so far??? Or both are equally horrid?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I think it's a bit of both, really. You can't blame one set of fans in particular, because the English went over there and probably made trouble, and the Turks attacked the visitors because the English fans were probably in smaller numbers.

In April 2000 two Leeds fans died in Istanbul during street brawls ahead of a the Uefa Cup semi final match with Galatasaray, while Arsenal fans also clashed with Galatasaray fans the same year before the Uefa Cup final in Copenhagen.

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
ok. yeah i lknowof course both parties will be at fault.... just wondering if either is a main culprit and if all this sercurity.... precaution..... restriction..... etc happens also when the Turks play in England.

And thanks for your help :)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Rooney set for England start

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson is poised to hand Everton's Wayne Rooney a starting role in the vital Euro 2004 qualifier in Turkey on Saturday.

Rooney is expected to partner Liverpool's Emile Heskey in attack as Eriksson attempts to compensate for the loss of injured Michael Owen.

The 17-year-old terrorised Turkey in England's 2-0 victory against Turkey in Sunderland in April and Eriksson is hoping for a repeat performance.

And despite doubts about how Rooney's fiery temperament will stand up to the hostile atmosphere inside Istanbul's Sukru Saracoglu Stadium, he is set to play.

Eriksson is also expected to pick Chelsea's John Terry as replacement for the controversially omitted Rio Ferdinand.

The England coach and captain David Beckham will hold a news conference in Istanbul at 1030 BST.

Eriksson and his 23-man squad landed at Ataturk airport at 1800 BST on Thursday amid tight security.

And despite pleas from the Football Association urging supporters not to travel, Turkish passport officials earlier turned back two England fans who were apparently hoping to see the game.

They arrived without Owen, who was finally ruled out with a shin injury.

Owen returned to Liverpool on Thursday morning to continue his rehabilitation after his shin injury failed to respond to treatment.

And he offered his England team-mates a good luck message ahead of Saturday's match.

"I'm obviously gutted I can't be out there playing for England but I'd like to wish the lads all the best luck on Saturday," he told the FA's official website.

Even when Owen joined up with the England squad on Tuesday, Owen was given only a 50-50 chance of playing.

He left the team hotel on Thursday morning to return to Merseyside for further treatment.

"After receiving treatment from our medical staff - who have been in consultation with the medical team at Liverpool - over the past three days, it was felt that, despite Michael making excellent progress, he would not be fit for Saturday's game," Bevington added.

Eriksson had anticipated Owen's withdrawal by calling up Aston Villa striker Darius Vassell as cover.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Sunshine ] ++
ok. yeah i lknowof course both parties will be at fault.... just wondering if either is a main culprit and if all this sercurity.... precaution..... restriction..... etc happens also when the Turks play in England.

And thanks for your help :)
What happened in England was that there was trouble, so these precautions were put in place.

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
England will not win there for sure!It is obvious.
Their chance is a draw,BUT they won't get it.They are playing 2 badly in the recent perioud...and ofcourse not good enough to get something from Turkey.
1-2.
But they will win on the play-offs.

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++
the best way to understand turk fans are:

world equivalent=turk equivalent

barbeque=homicide
injury=funky red liquid squirting around
parties=riots
:D

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
I'm sure Eriksson will have his players watch a video of the famous 4-1 win in Munich against the Germans .. but this is going to be a different story, England will find it much more difficult without Owen and Ferdinand ..

But it's certainly going to be a delightful match to watch .. both teams will fight till the end, England trying not to lose whereas Turkey trying to put one more goal against their opponents ..

Some interesting stats:

- England have never lost with Gerrard playing ..

- Turkey have never scored a goal or won against England yet .. the total score is 32-0 for England !!

Turkey's players to watch: Tugay, Emre, Nihat.

England's players to watch: Beckham, Gerrard, Rooney.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
That was one of the biggest penalty misses I've ever seen, weird about the grass. The Turks often behaved bad, not impressed by that. And what a kick from Rustu, Dyer was lucky there, he could have been severely injured.

++ [ originally posted by Holdon ] ++

No, I used to be Holden but forgot my password, wasn't that bothered about losing my post count so I re-registered.

Holden is a character in the book The Catcher in the Rye.
I thought you changed it from "Holden" to "Holdon" cause you live in London...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)