ENGLAND TRIO IN HAT FOR FIFA AWARD* (1 Viewer)

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Originally Posted by Stripper
when are all of u gonna learn that this is all a joke. the only respected award is the Ballon D'or, they looks at statistics and individual match ratings. not this stupid beauty/popularity contest. its gonna end up going 2 ronnie or zidane, where players like Henry, Fabio C, Buffon deserve it more.

The Fifa award is given after each NT coach and captain vote for a player, So some guy from Zimbabwe who only knows Ronaldinho after crying of laughter from watching pepsi commercials is gonna vote for the name he knows. You think the Lebanese coach can get past the belief that Ronaldo is still 21 and is the best player in the world, i dont think so.
:agree:

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jan 7, 2004
Stripper said:
The Fifa award is given after each NT coach and captain vote for a player, So some guy from Zimbabwe who only knows Ronaldinho after crying of laughter from watching pepsi commercials is gonna vote for the name he knows. You think the Lebanese coach can get past the belief that Ronaldo is still 21 and is the best player in the world, i dont think so.

enough with the racism come on. plus dont all african teams have european coaches nowdays anyway

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
this one has zidane written all over it.even though he doesnt deserve it.sometimes i think there's a pro-brazilian and pro-zidane lobby in FIFA.everytime the award was going to be awarded in the last 7-8 odd years,you somehow knew it was going to be a brazilian or zidane.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
Henry definitely deserves this award...he has been among the top 3 so many times they should just give it to him as a Lifetime Acheivement Award :) ;)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
mark83 said:
They put all those players in the list just to make it more tense who will win the award.

Maybe 10 players in last season really deserved an award for a great season and performances - when I shortlist them, I can think of Etoo, Ronaldinho, Cannavaro, Zambro, Toni, Henry, Ribery, Kaka, Torres or Villa, Riquelme and that is pretty much it.

Somebody can correct me by removing or adding players to my list.
That is a fantastic list. I couldn't agree more.:agree: However, I do think Christiano Ronaldo deserves a special mentioned. Instead of just being flashy, stepover guy, he has now became a real threat in front of goal. Best player in Man U by far - and equal to Rooney in terms of sheer talent and class - perhaps got something more.

Overall, for me Titi Henry deserve it as Intro said. I wasnt totally impressed by his above average showing at WC, but he was the difference maker betwen Arsenal and Real, Juve in the CL. There is no way Arsenal would have reached final with a bunch of exciting but unproven kids without their talismatic captain.
Nonetheless, I would like to see Canna get the award. Not because he deserve it more, but the fact that in the past defenders who had far bigger claims was deliberately ignored in favour of more flashy forwards. Its about time defenders get their recognition.

Hennes

Sep 3, 2004
Emission of Toni from the list is scandalous. What did likes of Klose, Rosiky, Patrick Viera, Zizou, and Thuram do to deserve their place in the regular season ahead of a guy who banged in goals for fun last season.
I agree that Toni should be in there...
But are you seriously claiming that klose doesn't deserve to be in that list?

I mean, top goal scorer in the Bundesliga AND in the WC...

It's a joke that Toni isn't there but Adriano is...That's RIDICULOUS.!!

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Hennes said:
I agree that Toni should be in there...
But are you seriously claiming that klose doesn't deserve to be in that list?

I mean, top goal scorer in the Bundesliga AND in the WC...

It's a joke that Toni isn't there but Adriano is...That's RIDICULOUS.!!
My fault in that I didn't recognize that Klose came top scorer in Bundesliga but based on his showing in CL, I still find him nothing special. And I have yet to seen him score in a big match not named Argentina.

Anyway, I say based on his achievements last year, adn some of the name of nominees, why not?

Boksic

May 11, 2005
The award should go to Buffon, he is the best goalkeeper in the world without a doubt and is so decisive for Italy/Juventus!

he is the best player in the world but of course a goalie cant win this award

Jul 23, 2006
Barcelona star Ronaldinho doesn’t expect any of Italy’s World Cup heroes to take away his European Footballer of the Year crown.

Although Gianluigi Buffon, Fabio Cannavaro, Gennaro Gattuso, Fabio Grosso, Andrea Pirlo, Luca Toni and Gianluca Zambrotta were included in the shortlist of 50, the South American doesn’t rate them as serious candidates.

“This year’s competition will be fierce and my rivals are Thierry Henry, Deco and Samuel Eto'o,” said the former Paris SG man.

“I won the Liga and the Champions League, Henry played in the World Cup Final, Deco is an excellent midfielder and Eto’o is a great scorer. We all have great chances of winning the title.”

Nominee Buffon was pleased to be on the shortlist and hopes that the title will be awarded to an Italian – in recognition of the World Cup triumph.

“I am very happy to be on the list as it is an important trophy that every footballer aims at winning,” he told Sky Italia.

“Everyone is free to choose who their favourite player is and I am not the kind of person who issues pleas on television.

“I will just wait and see how it goes, but I am aware that it will be very difficult for me to win the honour.

“I hope that one of my Italian teammates will be awarded the title as I don’t think it is right to quickly forget what we achieved two months ago.”

what's the uefa champs league compared to world cup ronnie?
n they tell me why do u hate him

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
juventus710 said:
Barcelona star Ronaldinho doesn’t expect any of Italy’s World Cup heroes to take away his European Footballer of the Year crown.

Although Gianluigi Buffon, Fabio Cannavaro, Gennaro Gattuso, Fabio Grosso, Andrea Pirlo, Luca Toni and Gianluca Zambrotta were included in the shortlist of 50, the South American doesn’t rate them as serious candidates.

“This year’s competition will be fierce and my rivals are Thierry Henry, Deco and Samuel Eto'o,” said the former Paris SG man.

“I won the Liga and the Champions League, Henry played in the World Cup Final, Deco is an excellent midfielder and Eto’o is a great scorer. We all have great chances of winning the title.”

Nominee Buffon was pleased to be on the shortlist and hopes that the title will be awarded to an Italian – in recognition of the World Cup triumph.

“I am very happy to be on the list as it is an important trophy that every footballer aims at winning,” he told Sky Italia.

“Everyone is free to choose who their favourite player is and I am not the kind of person who issues pleas on television.

“I will just wait and see how it goes, but I am aware that it will be very difficult for me to win the honour.

“I hope that one of my Italian teammates will be awarded the title as I don’t think it is right to quickly forget what we achieved two months ago.”

what's the uefa champs league compared to world cup ronnie?
n they tell me why do u hate him
People complain fans being a homer. Now that is being one in a grand scale.:D

Henry is probably most deserving of the list but like Boksic said, if they don't reward the trophy to a defender or attacker, when none of the attackers can claim to have mercurial season, then they never will.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
it has to be Fabio and no1 else...brilliant for both club (Juve) and country...i cant see any1 else whjo deserves it mroe than him

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Italian players will not win this avard, it's simply because they are Italians. I know that many of you will opposite me. But let's be real, since Italia won the WC there are too many voices against Italian win. They don't appreciate Italian sucess and making it less worthy. I think Canna should be awarded for the best player, he was one of the best play in Italian NT and whole WC and ofcourse he played excellent for Juve. Unfortunetly this will not happen, I mean Zidane won the best player of the WC (played good but didn't deserved this award) and now how we should expect that Canna or some of the other Italians will could win the award.

In the end this award should be award gor the best player of the year, not the most talented player. There are many talented players but only few of them made the difference. I'm sure Rooney have huge potential but for the player who counts himself striker it's pretty damn unusual to not score a goal for a decade and still be nominated for the Player of the year award. I'm sure that all those nominated players are stars or future stars but how may of them did actually did something to be nominated??

OP
Miss Dangerous*
May 25, 2006
  • Thread Starter #35
    when are all of u gonna learn that this is all a joke. the only respected award is the Ballon D'or, they looks at statistics and individual match ratings. not this stupid beauty/popularity contest. its gonna end up going 2 ronnie or zidane, where players like Henry, Fabio C, Buffon deserve it more.

Well said! we all remember when Nedved has won the Ballon D`or on 2003 and he has not even nomonated for the FIFA award.. it was completely a super-joke! well, this award is decided by coaches votes from around the world, and they`d vote for the most famous player not the best!! :sleepy:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)