"England are a failure" (1 Viewer)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Respaul said:
Of course there are exceptions... eg. scotland wgho have no choice but to look to our media as they have little of their own and as such they do have to put up with a certain inequality...
Just for the record...the Scottish press is actually extremely strong...we have our own national press, TV football shows, radio phone in's and so on.

For example, as the English version of the Sun is praising the England NT, building them up into world beating national hero's with the bulldog spirit and a blitz mentality, the Scottish version is running them into the ground and calling them arrogant bast..ds.

There is no real reason to read, listen or see any coverage of the English NT if you don't want to.

...and all this rubbish in the press at the moment about Scots not supporting England has been blown out of all proportion with misquotes taken out of context by Jack McConnel ,Walter Smith and so on...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Respaul said:
Funny i dont see anyone here bitching about other world cup countries media... Look at the italian media at the moment... constant references to 82, comparisons between toni and rossi... A world cup final that i have noticed being shown on 5 seperate occasions in the last 3 weeks etc etc
Well you have to understand, Paul, that many fans here are supposed Azzurri supporters, so if the media overrates them they're all for it. Everybody loves Italy around here and hates England.

But again the English media does stretch far around the world because obviously the reports are in English..

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Erik said:
Joining the vast stream of articles and opinions regarding the upcoming World Cup and its contestants, here's a composed interview with Leo Beenhakker, national coach of Trinidad and Tobago:

Leo Beenhakker thinks the euforia surrounding the English World Cup team is highly misplaced. The Dutch coach of Trinidad and Tobago doesn't value the English much at all.

"England has great players, one of the strongest domestic leagues in the world and a population of over fifty million people. Yet the only thing they put on display at major tournaments is failure. Those players should be prepared for and experienced in everything, but they never amount to anything", Beenhakker commented, "And yet again they are being labelled as one of the favourites, but I can't see them get very far."

The Dutchman opened his provocing speech after Trinidad and Tobago had been defeated by Wales with two goals to one: "We have a lot of work to do", he admitted, "But there's a big difference between friendlies and the real thing."

Beenhakker and his Soca Warriors will face England in the second group match, but he doesn't want to make any predictions: "The only thing I hear is England, England, England. I haven't joined that camp yet. There's still Sweden we have to face first."

Beenhakker continued to hack his way through displays of optimism, moving from England to Holland: "The Dutch national team is made up of two or three good players and a whole lot of players that would never have made the national team a decade ago. Hard work will only get you so far, I don't think the Dutch will progress into the latter stages of the World Cup."

Source: Voetbal International & Voetbal Insite

Enough said.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Andy said:
Well you have to understand, Paul, that many fans here are supposed Azzurri supporters, so if the media overrates them they're all for it. Everybody loves Italy around here and hates England.

But again the English media does stretch far around the world because obviously the reports are in English..
I kind of like England.

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
Aug 1, 2002
Buffon sees England danger
Monday 29 May, 2006
Italian goalkeeper Gigi Buffon has backed England to launch a serious assault at winning the World Cup.

The Juventus shot-stopper is a fan of Sven Goran Eriksson’s men, pinpointing their central midfield partnership of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard as key.

"I'd say England have the strongest midfield in Europe, maybe in the world,” the custodian told the Mirror newspaper. "They have the best players in that area.

“Lampard and Gerrard are great players, strong people who can drive the game and win you matches.”

The Azzurri will start the tournament as possible winners, but the 'keeper insists their chances would be boosted had Lampard or Gerrard been Italian citizens.

"If we could have just one of them, we'd be very lucky,” he added. "If we could have them both we'd win the World Cup.

“When you look at our team we're very strong at the back, with [Alessandro] Nesta and [Fabio] Cannavaro and have strikers to choose from.

"But there is a weakness in the midfield. We have a few good players but it is a weakness and one of the points we have to try to address.

"When we look at the England squad and the midfielders they have, we do wish we could have one of them.

"England are good enough to reach the Final."

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Roverbhoy said:
Just for the record...the Scottish press is actually extremely strong...we have our own national press, TV football shows, radio phone in's and so on.

For example, as the English version of the Sun is praising the England NT, building them up into world beating national hero's with the bulldog spirit and a blitz mentality, the Scottish version is running them into the ground and calling them arrogant bast..ds.

There is no real reason to read, listen or see any coverage of the English NT if you don't want to.

...and all this rubbish in the press at the moment about Scots not supporting England has been blown out of all proportion with misquotes taken out of context by Jack McConnel ,Walter Smith and so on...
actually if ionly it was that easy, you cant turn on any scottish channel during the world cup without listening to the mindless ramblings of some english commentator talking about 66 over and over........but i said in another thread that its not the english players, team,etc i cant stand its motty and his gang. sky is just as bad though. thank god for the new option on BBC to turn off the commentators

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Watch the pictures, put on 5 live for the matches...works for me.

...and agreed about the commentators...we used to have a sweepstake to see how many times '66 was mentioned each time England played against, well, anybody.

...and the red button is the greatest thing...I enjoy just watching the game with the sound of the match...brilliant.

Sky and Talk Sport are the two biggest culprits IMHO for building animosity between England and the other home nations...as you say, we respect the players and management, but loath the media

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Jeeks said:
I know what you mean and it came when he at the same time mentioned that the "west" media did not mention the earthquake...simply laughable
I suppose you simply told him, they did mention the earthquake?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)