[ENG] Premiership 2008/2009 (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
Arshavin's been as good as my russian friend insisted he would be. while Arsenal could still use some defenders and midfielders, Arshavin looks like a great buy. As for replacing Nedved, Arshavin's best position isn't on the wing, his best position is more in the middle.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
watching this game last night with 2 mates, both of whom are not big fans of calcio and know my feelings on the EPL but even they admitted that it was embarrassing to see 2 of the top 4 clubs defending like that. from an attacking point of view it was great but as a guy who enjoys the defensive side of teh game, it was shambolic at times

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
you don't say......arsenal's defence was overall worse than Liverpool's, very badly organized, while for Liverpool mascherano failed to impose himself at all, and of course those three individual errors were embarrassing. I'm frankly hoping that next year Liverpool either has Agger (the more intelligent and knowledgeable Liverpool fans are calling him the next maldini?!) and Skrtel in defence, or Agger and a better version of Skrtel. Carra is great for backs-against-the-wall type matches, but is useless going forward, not to mention rather slow

BillyG

Caribbean Ultra
Nov 25, 2006
you don't say......arsenal's defence was overall worse than Liverpool's, very badly organized, while for Liverpool mascherano failed to impose himself at all, and of course those three individual errors were embarrassing. I'm frankly hoping that next year Liverpool either has Agger (the more intelligent and knowledgeable Liverpool fans are calling him the next maldini?!) and Skrtel in defence, or Agger and a better version of Skrtel. Carra is great for backs-against-the-wall type matches, but is useless going forward, not to mention rather slow
yeh but his positioning is impecible!! look at how many times during the season he has been the guy making the last ditch challenges or getting in the key blocks or the only one in the defence alert to danger. he holds the liverpool backline together!

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
yeh but his positioning is impecible!! look at how many times during the season he has been the guy making the last ditch challenges or getting in the key blocks or the only one in the defence alert to danger. he holds the liverpool backline together!
His positioning is very very good, but his weakness in the air and lack of speed mean that against teams that have fast skillful strikers (ie most of the top teams in europe) he can't hold his own any more. While Skrtel and Agger are both behind him mentally, the fact that both of them can defend very well, are goal threats in the air, and are faster, mean that they are more suited towards the way the EPL is played. Also, in Agger we have one of the best ball-playing central defenders in the world. he can pass, dribble, and shoot as well as most midfielders! frankly, he should be our most important defensive asset for the next 5 years at least. To be honest actually, while I would prefer Skrtel playing in most games, I think the most important issue is that Agger is a starter next year

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
His positioning is very very good, but his weakness in the air and lack of speed mean that against teams that have fast skillful strikers (ie most of the top teams in europe) he can't hold his own any more. While Skrtel and Agger are both behind him mentally, the fact that both of them can defend very well, are goal threats in the air, and are faster, mean that they are more suited towards the way the EPL is played. Also, in Agger we have one of the best ball-playing central defenders in the world. he can pass, dribble, and shoot as well as most midfielders! frankly, he should be our most important defensive asset for the next 5 years at least. To be honest actually, while I would prefer Skrtel playing in most games, I think the most important issue is that Agger is a starter next year
I'd put Carra on the right and Agger and Skrtel in the middle with the way Arbeloa has played the last couple of matches.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
maybe, but Carra was absolutely horrendous there the last 2 times he played at RB. Rumour was that he refused to play there after that, which was why Skrtel got a game at RB (with disastrous results) and then mascherano (who did very well). Arbeloa does need a rest though, it's too bad Degen is always out, and the matches are probably too important (and hopefully will remain so until the end of the season) for Darby to get a game. wish he had played more at the beginning of the season, haven't seen much of him. At least for LB we have Insua, who looks very very solid

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
watching this game last night with 2 mates, both of whom are not big fans of calcio and know my feelings on the EPL but even they admitted that it was embarrassing to see 2 of the top 4 clubs defending like that. from an attacking point of view it was great but as a guy who enjoys the defensive side of teh game, it was shambolic at times
No disputing that, especially Arsenal's defense, it was nothing short of horrendous.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Kuyt again.
You never know what to expect from this guy. It's so hard to describe him as a player and to explain what position he plays, but one thing is sure: he adds a lot to the team.

Jul 15, 2006
Folan just did a Pepe :lol:
Oh come on, it wasn't nearly as aggresive it was just merely a kick out in comparison to Pepe, don't go all English commentator on me.. :lol2:
Kuyt again.
You never know what to expect from this guy. It's so hard to describe him as a player and to explain what position he plays, but one thing is sure: he adds a lot to the team.
Yeah, you could clearly see how he wasa forward from this match, good poaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)