[ENG] Premiership 2008/2009 (171 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
it's always interesting to get serie A fan's views of the EPL :D I hardly think Benitez is a genius, but when you consider that the 3 rivals he has in the EPL, two have had their coaches for years, and are much further along than 'pool, while the other, chelsea, have had the biggest cash injection ever, I think benitez has done a decent job. in the EPL that is. in the CL, he's fantastic, frankly there aren't many managers that have a better record than he does in the last 15 years, particularly considering liverpool 05-08 are hardly up to the quality of the excellent milan teams. i just hope that this start to the league isn't a false dawn. pool winning the league would be incredible, frankly, something hard to understand for juve fans. juventus has always been up there, never gone too long without winning the leage. for liverpool though, the incredible 70s and 80s have been followed by a tremendous down period. sure, no relegation, but there weren't many times when we've been close to winning the league. we've had excellent teams in the last 19 years, but there was always a weakness, and the whole "bootroom" ethos was lost. now, benitez has completely revamped the clubs systems, and while it will take several more years (assuming benitez isn't fired) to really come to fruition, I feel that the club is doing well, all things considered. I still think we are years behind manu (lets face it, fergie has done an incredible job with them) and arsenal, and while we have no where near the finances of city or chelsea, i think we have something good going on at the club. except for the whole ownership thing that is...

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
I was watching portugal vs sweden yesterday and i can't stop thinking that c.ronaldo is definately one of the most overhyped player around. I know majority of people (EPL fans specifically) are impressed by him but the guy is nothing special IMO. Yes he's talented and everything but i don't c the guy much more talented than a player like ibrahimovic for example !! I mean if a player had to win "the best player in the world award" then he should really impress and have big impact in games (not just score but overall performance).

On the other hand, a player like messi always shine, always does something impressive whenever he plays and i don't see that with cristiano. Does this guy really deserve to be called "best player in the world" ?!

May 22, 2007
If you actually saw him last season then you wouldn't say that, but you didn't. Judging him on one international match is fine though, a lot of players perform differently for their countries.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
If you actually saw him last season then you wouldn't say that, but you didn't. Judging him on one international match is fine though, a lot of players perform differently for their countries.
I've seen like 6-7 games for him last season with he's club and he was good but nothing special thats my point. I remember when i've first saw ronaldo "brazilian" with barcelona i knew that the guy is the best talent out there. I've been impress too by messi since he first played with barca and everytime he impressed even more. But cristiano doesn't have that edge IMO. Same case with ibrahimovic, i mean he's very talented but nothing exceptional.

delpierofan82

Apr 24, 2005
Thats my point, if you're gonna be called the best player in the world i think you should impress wherever you play. As for del piero, he is a great player but he never was the best in the world (though i like him alot).
+1 agree,
but at the moment nobody plays better than Ronaldo for both the club and for own country so everything is relative and he will be surely called the best player of this year because he is relatively the best currently

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I was watching portugal vs sweden yesterday and i can't stop thinking that c.ronaldo is definately one of the most overhyped player around. I know majority of people (EPL fans specifically) are impressed by him but the guy is nothing special IMO. Yes he's talented and everything but i don't c the guy much more talented than a player like ibrahimovic for example !! I mean if a player had to win "the best player in the world award" then he should really impress and have big impact in games (not just score but overall performance).

On the other hand, a player like messi always shine, always does something impressive whenever he plays and i don't see that with cristiano. Does this guy really deserve to be called "best player in the world" ?!
I'd love to agree with you, i hate ronaldo as much as anyone else. But to deny he's a world class player is absurd. I mean he scored 42 goals last season, he was the reason Man Utd won the double. Sure he doesnt shine very much in the big games, but he's effective and he does score. Lets not forget that last season he scored goals against all members of the big four. He also scored against Roma and Lyon, so basically he scored in almost every big game he played last season.

And you cant just decide to count only the big games in assessing a player. A league is won by beating the small teams, something Inter proved last season.

I used to think he was an over hyped player too, but the guy is just too good.

Messi is at least ability wise better than Ronaldo. But overall when you consider both players performances last season. Ronaldo was obviously the more effective the more influential.

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
I'd love to agree with you, i hate ronaldo as much as anyone else. But to deny he's a world class player is absurd. I mean he scored 42 goals last season, he was the reason Man Utd won the double. Sure he doesnt shine very much in the big games, but he's effective and he does score. Lets not forget that last season he scored goals against all members of the big four. He also scored against Roma and Lyon, so basically he scored in almost every big game he played last season.

And you cant just decide to count only the big games in assessing a player. A league is won by beating the small teams, something Inter proved last season.

I used to think he was an over hyped player too, but the guy is just too good.

Messi is at least ability wise better than Ronaldo. But overall when you consider both players performances last season. Ronaldo was obviously the more effective the more influential.
agreed

May 22, 2007
I've seen like 6-7 games for him last season with he's club and he was good but nothing special thats my point. I remember when i've first saw ronaldo "brazilian" with barcelona i knew that the guy is the best talent out there. I've been impress too by messi since he first played with barca and everytime he impressed even more. But cristiano doesn't have that edge IMO. Same case with ibrahimovic, i mean he's very talented but nothing exceptional.
Wrong.

Jul 15, 2006
FA probe into Norwich-Derby match

The Football Association is looking into match-fixing allegations relating to the Championship match between Norwich City and Derby on 4 October.

Betting patterns during the 2-1 victory for Derby County will also be the subject of a parliamentary question in the House of Commons on Thursday.

Norman Lamb, MP for North Norfolk, will ask sport secretary Andy Burnham if he has heard from the FA on the matter.

"I have to stress this is an allegation," said Lamb.

An FA spokesman said: "The FA can confirm that it is investigating an allegation regarding the match between Norwich City and Derby County on 4 October. We are looking into whether there is any substance to this allegation.

Jewell laughs off match-fixing allegations

"There is no fixed time-scale to our inquiries and there will be no further comment at this time."

Derby manager Paul Jewell told BBC East Midlands Today: "It's something that as far as I'm concerned is nonsense. I'm bemused.

"If it wasn't so serious it would be laughable.

"I don't know where the story has come from and if it needs investigating the FA will investigate it but it's certainly nothing for us to hide or Norwich to hide."

A spokesman for the Department of Culture, Media and Sport said: "Ministers take the integrity of sport and gambling very seriously, which is why the Government recently introduced a new offence of cheating at gambling which carries a maximum two-year jail sentence.

"We want there to be no hiding place for cheats and it is right the FA investigate these serious allegations thoroughly.

"Should evidence that the law has been broken emerge it is for the relevant authorities such as the Gambling Commission or the police to conduct that investigation."

---
Let's return the favor shall we? Who are the "fucking cheating cunts" now?

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
without torres we looked much worse up front, he just stands out in a way that keane and kuyt definitely do not. That said, once again we came back and won 3-2, with Kuyt scoring the winner! too bad manu and chelsea both got nice goal difference padding results

ReMad

Feb 25, 2007

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
We really made things hard on ourselves today. It really looks like Wenger has lost it. First he plays Van Persie as a winger and Cesc as an attacking midfielder against Sunderland. Today he makes it worse by playing Song as rightback(he was horrible there) and puts Eboue who is a natural rightback on the wings. That first half against Everton was a fucking horror show.

IMO Arsene got lucky because of Toures injury(a blessing in disguise?). It forced him to play Walcott and reinstate Eboue as a rightback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 171)