[ENG] Premier League 2013/2014 (124 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Sure, it's about winding up Liverpool. But even if someone has ulterior motives for bringing up Heysel, I still welcome it to remind them and keep everybody honest.

There is all sorts of chest-beating and lamenting over the terrible Hillsborough deaths while at the same time a complete whitewashing of Liverpool fans' deliberate role in the intentional injury and death of other fans. Hypocrites, all of them.

There is no justice for the 96 until you first can have justice for the 39.
So Heysel is more important that Hillsborough? It's this kind of thinking that's the problem.

Buy on AliExpress.com

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
a group of man utd fans have also released shirts to remember the 39 too

- - - Updated - - -

according to the mail, telegraph and guardian moyes has been sacked!

- - - Updated - - -

never understood why many here laugh at man utd and wish them all the worse in fairness other than Notts county fans man utd fans (or at least the ones i know) have nothing but respect for Juve, then again they remember the good old duels between Lippi and SAF
exactly. especially the bolded part. we were allways great rivals, but never enemies. i also dont get why many here like Liverpool while hating United...

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
So Heysel is more important that Hillsborough? It's this kind of thinking that's the problem.
I don't think that he's saying that, both are equally tragic.

Next year is the 30th anniversary of Heysel so I guess we'll see if Liverpool choose to make any sort of rememberance of it.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

Next year is the 30th anniversary of Heysel so I guess we'll see if Liverpool choose to make any sort of rememberance of it.
I don't have a strong opinion on either event. I think they're both tragedies but not more than any other.

I'm sure Liverpool will have a similar ceremony at Mellwood like they have every year. Though for the 25th I remember reading about there being a number of events all around the city.

Ragazza

Calciopoli Director
Jul 22, 2013
All these disasters come from multiple levels of failure that contributed to the end result. If not this, if not that, if not the other -- then it wouldn't have happened. I think it's important to recognize those factors, but doing so can also be a cop out.

For example, you can't use the Heysel argument of, "Well, if Belgium left the bars around the stadium open before the match, what did they expect would happen?" As if a bar owner must presume hooliganism and thus be the behavior that had to change -- not the louts getting drunk and disorderly. That's basically saying don't blame the alcoholic, blame the brewer. Hooligans are defended and coddled with a, "But I couldn't help myself! The bar was open!" which is treating them like infants and shirks all responsibility.

You also can't use the Heysel argument of, "Well, in England we would just never let opposing fans stand this close to each other..." The hooligans weren't in England and they knew that. That's also not a defense, as if to say that public urination is legal in Pakistan so therefore any Pakistani immigrants to the UK should be allowed to piss anywhere they please.

Juve itself bears some fault in Heysel, although it's never really said enough and is probably a taboo topic here. That includes the fans at the match who incited some of the atmosphere to the fact that the Block Z tickets were put in hands despite being next door to the Liverpool lot, etc. Justice to me doesn't mean holding one group, any group, accountable and guilty. It's holding everyone accountable in an accurate manner -- although when you hear cries of "justice for the 96" that's precisely NOT the sort of justice they are talking about.

Perhaps the biggest injustice in Heysel was UEFA itself -- they skated past all responsibility and yet had so much to bear.
Oh, I agree with your points about defending hooliganism. People are idiots if they think that they can shift blame to others in that situation. I'm a believer in the fact that alcohol doesn't turn otherwise normal people into raging monsters. If you turn into a violent person while drunk, you're probably already predisposed to that type of behavior. You also can't expect businesses in the area to drop everything and cater (or not cater, in this case) to drunken lunatics who come into town. Besides, if the bars had been closed, they would have found some other way, I'm sure. And the other part is ridiculous too - "when in Rome, do as the Romans do". Anyone who uses any of those two "excuses" as a justification is an idiot.

But the reason I feel the same thing can't be applied to Hillsborough (including fans' involvement) is that none of it had to do with hooliganism, no one was out that day to hurt anyone. It was poor organization that led to too many people being crowded into one small section, I doubt the people in the back had any clue what was going on up front.

- - - Updated - - -

All this brings up an interesting discussion too - how many people would be in favor of reintroducing standing terraces in football stadiums? I would say yes, if there are enough proper safety measures in place. No one gets in without a ticket, strict maximum capacity, and easier ways to get people out in case something does happen. I think it would massively help with the dull atmospheres in a lot of stadiums. However, I don't see it happening, football has become too clean, modern and corporate these days.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
They're equally tragic in their own right.

I have to hand this much to Liverpool, however. Yes, a few bad, unruly fans smeared all the good ones. That happens all the time in football, unfortunately. But while it's taken forever for it to come to this, Liverpool perhaps more than any other football organization has put forward the memory of Heysel as a disaster we should respect, remember, and not repeat. I know some juventini disliked their club overtures since 2000 or so, saying that it was years too late (which it was). But there is an attempt at an olive branch there -- something you don't often see among football clubs or fans.

You could even say Liverpool has done more to remember and recognize Heysel than Juventus has. That's for sure.

But Heysel and Hillsborough were quite different. One a disaster spurred on by malicious intent, the other a man-made disaster primarily rooted in ineptitude and poor decision-making. While there were penalties to clubs, police security, and some fans caught on video, was there justice for the 39 in Heysel? Of course not. How could there be?

Oh, I agree with your points about defending hooliganism. People are idiots if they think that they can shift blame to others in that situation. I'm a believer in the fact that alcohol doesn't turn otherwise normal people into raging monsters. If you turn into a violent person while drunk, you're probably already predisposed to that type of behavior. You also can't expect businesses in the area to drop everything and cater (or not cater, in this case) to drunken lunatics who come into town. Besides, if the bars had been closed, they would have found some other way, I'm sure. And the other part is ridiculous too - "when in Rome, do as the Romans do". Anyone who uses any of those two "excuses" as a justification is an idiot.

But the reason I feel the same thing can't be applied to Hillsborough (including fans' involvement) is that none of it had to do with hooliganism, no one was out that day to hurt anyone. It was poor organization that led to too many people being crowded into one small section, I doubt the people in the back had any clue what was going on up front.
Exactly. But we have people calling out murders at Hillsborough, which by comparison is absurd and dilutes the egregiousness of the deliberate actions at Heysel. The problem with calling everything a 'genocide' is that after a while you make Hitler and Hutus look like average blokes.

All this brings up an interesting discussion too - how many people would be in favor of reintroducing standing terraces in football stadiums? I would say yes, if there are enough proper safety measures in place. No one gets in without a ticket, strict maximum capacity, and easier ways to get people out in case something does happen. I think it would massively help with the dull atmospheres in a lot of stadiums. However, I don't see it happening, football has become too clean, modern and corporate these days.
Too many horror stories to recover from still, IMO.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
And you can't blame them.

It's worth pointing out that Heysel's punishments were partly directed at Liverpool, but almost as equally directed to a long history of unacceptable English football hooliganism. It needed a ridiculous cleaning out, big time, and Heysel was the straw that broke the camel's back.

And yet the English NT experienced no sanctions whatsoever as a result, and arguably the hooligans at their matches were the worst of all. Yet another reason why I detest the England NT.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
I hope Giggs does a good job for the rest of the season and they decide to keep him as coach for the next season. And then he fucks up real bad.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
seems Luis van Gal will take over
bad decision if you ask me, since man utd would have to wait till after the world cup for him there for van gaal will have limited time to assess the team and make the necessarily moves in the market.

- - - Updated - - -

I read that Giggs and Butt are going to be appointed for the remainder of the season... yes.. both of them...
Butt being the only one of the pair that has any remote coaching experience

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 124)