End of Spending Era? (1 Viewer)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
The common fallacy is that by spending big in the transfer market raises costs which in turn reduces the profit. Hence Moggi tries to reduce the transfer fee and tries to look for bargain basement.
Juve is a PLO, and the aim of management is to maximize shareholder value . Share price is the sum of expected discounted flow of earnings. If an investment i.e. spending on young players, is expected to increase the flow of revenues and thus enhances long-term profits, share prices will rise even if there is reduction of short term profits.
Therefore, I confidently reject the claims that Moggi is pursuing this low investment policy in order to maximize profits. The end of spending era is more to do with change in strategy regarding how Juve should maximize shareholder value. Whether it is a right strategy or not is debatable, but there is a philosophical difference between this hypothesis and those that I intend to reject. So what is the practical difference? Difference is that Moggi should look for players that gives value for money and not just cheap FA signing. That is where scouting and negotiation comes in, and that should be the basis for competitive advantage in FC. Signing 28+, IMO, is not a good policy and that is where I think Moggi is taking a wrong line, presuming the reports coming out are true.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
i agree.moggi tends to overlook the values players are able to pay back to us in terms of performances and potential for the future,but rather looks at his price tag and decides whether juve could possibly coach him into a somewhat decent player.some have paid off big time,some struggled to justify even their small transfer fees, and then we have our paramattis and baioccos.;)i must say man utd are a club which usually sign relatively cheap(where youngsters are concerned) and get returns by the truckload.

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
Mates, the hard times are still only coming, we haven't seen anything yet... :down: Hopefully Fiat can do something with their financials, otherwise some Russian billionaire will buy Juve... :rolleyes:

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++
i agree.moggi tends to overlook the values players are able to pay back to us in terms of performances and potential for the future,but rather looks at his price tag and decides whether juve could possibly coach him into a somewhat decent player.some have paid off big time,some struggled to justify even their small transfer fees, and then we have our paramattis and baioccos.;)i must say man utd are a club which usually sign relatively cheap(where youngsters are concerned) and get returns by the truckload.
But, Manchester United has two things which we do not. 1. They have a great youth developement system that offers their young players the chance to play in a european league (with Royal Antwerp). 2. They have had a coach for decades who is renowned for his liberal use of young players. Without those two things we won't be able to attract young talent or develope them into stars.

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
Maybe this can change with Capello! I mean, he signed Chiellini and I am sure that Blasi, Brighi or Maresca have the chance to become key-players and I expect big things from Miccoli!

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
It's not that hard to get a smaller club to agree to take top-class youngsters on loan regularly. The reason Man Utd did it was the restriction in the EPL that clubs couldn't loan players to teams in the same division. That's been relaxed now, but it was in force when Man U set up their agreement with Antwerp. Juve have the option of loaning players to smaller clubs in Serie A, and shoud use that to greater effect than they do. And if Juve's youngsters aren't Serie A standard, then I'm sure Antwerp have plenty of rivals who'd love to have their advantages!

As for a coach who encourages youth, it's a matter of finding one and sticking with him. That won't happen in Italy. :)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Mikhail is spot on. The reason why Serie A team likes to field a team of veterans is more to do with culture than anything else. Coaches in Serie A are expected to produce result from day 1, which often forces them to play more established stars than "unknown" youngsters. As a result, Serie A has lost precious young talents for peanuts, Henry and Viera to name a few. I am hoping that Capello will buy and stick with young players rather than signing veterans: While I wont mind Canna especially if it only means giving up Di Vaio, signing likes of Oddo is not a good transfer policy IMO.
And certainly no more Biaocco's, Fresi's, Legros, Paramatti's. We want young talents! Chellini is a good start and I hope Moggi buys likes of Gilardino, Rosicky, Mexes; world class young talents!

OP
Boudz

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
Aug 1, 2002
  • Thread Starter #33
    I read somewhere Mexes started pre-season training with Roma even though he didnt sign yet. wasnt Hathem Trabelsi for free? he kept on hinting that juve were his fave club?

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Stripper ] ++
    I read somewhere Mexes started pre-season training with Roma even though he didnt sign yet. wasnt Hathem Trabelsi for free? he kept on hinting that juve were his fave club?
    He wanted to go on a free, but Ajax didn't let him. He will go to England, and yes Mexes has started the training!

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++

But, Manchester United has two things which we do not. 1. They have a great youth developement system that offers their young players the chance to play in a european league (with Royal Antwerp). 2. They have had a coach for decades who is renowned for his liberal use of young players. Without those two things we won't be able to attract young talent or develope them into stars.
    but we have one of those now:don fabio.

he's as good with youngsters as fergie is,and probably more experienced.he's definitely as much a winner as he is:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)